• Replies 53,771
  • Likes 43

no1special96

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
So I've recently bought an o3ds with 2.1.0 fw. I followed the steps from the bottom of this site: https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Browser-OTP
When i got to the point where I had to inject FBI in part 4, I got stuck, because my Health and Safety app dissapeared. I figured that it was not that big of deal because I got FBI running thanks to the HBL. But now I"ve got even bigger problem, because when I try to launch safeAL9H Installer all I get is a black screen. I'm a total noob when it comes to hacking and 3ds in general, so any help would be highly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

steveroo

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Bought a used 3ds, couple games and case for $50.
system is 4.1.0.-3u. I had no plans on buying a 3ds but for the price I couldn't say no.

soooo being a noob... after cfw is installed can I access the eshop? Is cfw just meant for piracy/homebrew/emulators? Is cfw needed for flash cards?

ih8ih8sn0w

Koreaboo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bought a used 3ds, couple games and case for $50.
system is 4.1.0.-3u. I had no plans on buying a 3ds but for the price I couldn't say no.

soooo being a noob... after cfw is installed can I access the eshop? Is cfw just meant for piracy/homebrew/emulators? Is cfw needed for flash cards?
cfw is for piracy, being able to run blocked ds flashcards, and will allow you to use the eshop if you are on the latest fw (through emunand or by setting up a9lh). Read our bible guide https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/ for more information.

ih8ih8sn0w

Koreaboo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I bought a used 3ds with the system on 1.1.0-0u and R4i. Now I want to install a cfw, what is the best way to do this on my system?
If you can get a hold of a copy of cubic ninja or a sky3ds flashcard, dump your OTP using the same guide in the message above. If not, just do the normal 9.2 update and go from there

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
So, I bought a used 3ds with the system on 1.1.0-0u and R4i. Now I want to install a cfw, what is the best way to do this on my system?
If you can get a copy of Cubic Ninja (or a Sky3DS to emulate it) you can install a9lh very quickly (like half an hour). Otherwise you'll have to buy a game cartridge from 4.1-4.5 then and update to 9.2 before you can begin the main guide. This will be more like a couple of hours work.

If you get Cubic Ninja follow this: https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Cubic-Ninja-OTP

If you can't get Cubic Ninja then update to 4.x and follow: https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Freeway-MSET then you will have to start from https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Part-1-(Homebrew) and follow all five parts (menu to right of the page to navigate between parts).

Ailuros27

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just upgraded a friend's 3DS from 4.5.0-10U to 9.2.0-20U and didn't have a single issue (I used the Plailect guide) but upon installing menuhax, then booting up the console while holding the trigger button I got the evil black screen like when my N3DS was downgraded improperly. I've seen some people saying they fixed this by simply changing their theme. So did menuhax not install correctly for some reason, or did I screw up the update? This isn't my first time doing this, as I previously downgraded both and old and new 3DS, and the system does boot normally with no problems. I only get the black screen saying "An error has occurred..." when I hold the *hax button at boot.

Edit: Got it. All I needed to do was reinstall menuhax. I was just worried I had screwed up and would need to redo the upgrade.

Last edited by Ailuros27,

steveroo

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If I bought and played the brand new kirby game can I still still install a cfw?
what are the odds of a ds flash card getting banned?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
If I bought and played the brand new kirby game can I still still install a cfw?
what are the odds of a ds flash card getting banned?
1. Yes
2. A lot of DS flashcarts were blacklisted on firmware 7.0 but have been reenabled in CFW (have to install TWL launcher). No banning happens, if you haven't reenabled the card you'll just find it won't work.

Reactions: steveroo

steveroo

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

ih8ih8sn0w

Koreaboo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From my 3ds ver 4.1.0-3U

I follow the instructions at:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-installing-rxtools-custom-firmware-3ds-and-2ds.390867/

Next, I do the remaining instructions at:
I https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-pasta-cfw-without-cubic-ninja-mset-4-x-old3ds.389498/

Is that all that is needed to have a 3ds CFW? to run Gameboy Color roms and GBA, can they run off a sd card in 3ds with out a flashcard?
Those guides are both outdated. Follow this guide https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/ to setup cfw. You have the option of either using menuhax (you will need emunand, and you cannot update sysnand) by stoping at part 4 section 2, or using a9lh (which will allow you to safely update sysnand and you will not need emunand) You can run gameboy color roms through an emulator or through vc injection, but gba games are a bit more involved afaik.

kwall24

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So, I'm back from following the Plailect guide fully. But I have one teensy tiny problem. I didn't realize it wanted us to keep our original hs.app backed up. So everythin else works, but I have two FBIs. Does anybody have the correct hs.app, or is that a per-device thing?

ih8ih8sn0w

Koreaboo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I'm back from following the Plailect guide fully. But I have one teensy tiny problem. I didn't realize it wanted us to keep our original hs.app backed up. So everythin else works, but I have two FBIs. Does anybody have the correct hs.app, or is that a per-device thing?
If you really want hs back, you will have to use 3dnus to download the hs app. (use this to get your required title id and version for your console: https://www.3dbrew.org/wiki/Title_list )

JamesF0790

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Alright, figured I was going to post in here as opposed to making a new post and I think it's the right place. I've got my hands on a n3dsXL on 10.3.0.28E and if I want to play backups am I going to want to go the gateway route or the cfw route? I was leaning towards gateway due to the greater simplicity but if there's a better option I'm fully capable of following a guide.

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, figured I was going to post in here as opposed to making a new post and I think it's the right place. I've got my hands on a n3dsXL on 10.3.0.28E and if I want to play backups am I going to want to go the gateway route or the cfw route? I was leaning towards gateway due to the greater simplicity but if there's a better option I'm fully capable of following a guide.
either way you'd have to downgrade. custom firmware is free, and not as hard as you think. gateway is not.

is this a brand new console with nothing on it?

JamesF0790

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
either way you'd have to downgrade. custom firmware is free, and not as hard as you think. gateway is not.

is this a brand new console with nothing on it?

Oh, I know downgrade is required. It's not new unfortunately, second hand but in good condition. The listing specified the FW version so that's how I know. It hasn't arrived yet and my o3dsXL is on 11. Anyway as for there being nothing on it I'm not sure, nothing I need to keep I'd imagine but I don't think it's in it's untouched out of the box state. If CFW isn't overly complicated I'm happy to follow it, I mean, free is free.

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, I know downgrade is required. It's not new unfortunately, second hand but in good condition. The listing specified the FW version so that's how I know. It hasn't arrived yet and my o3dsXL is on 11. Anyway as for there being nothing on it I'm not sure, nothing I need to keep I'd imagine but I don't think it's in it's untouched out of the box state. If CFW isn't overly complicated I'm happy to follow it, I mean, free is free.
I would highly recommend you take the custom firmware route. it's free (as stated already :P), it's easy (most of the steps are backups and stuff to be safe), and it will give you tons of things.

if this new console has nothing on it that's yours, you should consider formatting before downgrading. also, if you are doing a system transfer, do that after you finish setting up custom firmware.

start here: Part 1 - Homebrew

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Good.