• Views 4,512,310
  • Replies 53,796
  • Likes 43

Najtmerr

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hey, Im currently using sky3DS with a private hedaer. Do i need to change the rom extensions from .3ds to .3dz in order to play online wihout fear of the banhammer?

thedude28

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Is it possible to downgrade my N3DS and keep all of my Mii Plaza streetpass tags, Ambassador games, etc?

Yup, downgrading doesn't affect anything but System Titles.

Although Mii Plaza may be downgraded, I'm pretty sure it'll still have the tags.

The only thing I can imagine it affecting is if you play Badge Arcade.

dn*

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi guys,

I'm out of the loop RE: CFW and looking for some advice.

I have a Gateway from last year set up with SYSNAND 4.5 and EMUNAND 9.5. I want to drop the Gateway and move forward using CFW, perhaps rxtools.

Can anyone talk me through what I need to do, or point me in the direction of some useful info?

Most info assumes you're coming fresh with no emunand in place?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Hi guys,

I'm out of the loop RE: CFW and looking for some advice.

I have a Gateway from last year set up with SYSNAND 4.5 and EMUNAND 9.5. I want to drop the Gateway and move forward using CFW, perhaps rxtools.

Can anyone talk me through what I need to do, or point me in the direction of some useful info?

Most info assumes you're coming fresh with no emunand in place?
Use the latest Cakes and skip any step that asks you to format emunand. Alternatively, backup your emunand using emunand tool (the release thread usually stays on the first page, otherwise search for emunand tool release) and then follow the guide you find to the letter (make sure it is an up-to-date guide, Cakes was updated to allow for the latest version in emunand in around early February if I remember correctly), and then reinject your backup afterwards (using emunand tool). That way you won't have to worry about what steps to skip. It won't be too hard - starting Cakes is only a matter of having the right files on your SD card and booting cakes.3dsx from the homebrew launcher. You can then follow any guide for having it autoboot which will be correct for all CFWs (you can pick which one is the default etc). If you don't feel like getting it to autoboot you can still set it up to boot from the DS profile menu, or from Cubic Ninja, or the web browser.
You can use rxTools instead of Cakes too - really anything is fine. I personally am not in favour of rxTools as it is really messy and every version has a different layout so trying to follow tutorials becomes a pain because it might not be for the version you have (like it says to touch a button on the touch screen and that button isn't there and you get annoyed). I might compare rxTools to Android and ReiNand/Cakes to Apple iOS - Android has more features but useability is low (it isn't easy to work out how to do what you need to do, you try to look up a tutorial and they all seem to assume you have a button which you don't have), Apple iOS is really really user-friendly (you can do everything you want to do on your device by looking and immediately working out what to do because it is obvious, and all tutorials will tell you what you need to do because the UI is uniform across all devices and versions) but you don't have those advanced tools (e.g. writing macros with Tasker). And anyway, all the advanced stuff that rxTools used to be good for is now being done by decrypt9 and emunand9 so the extra utility of rxTools has almost dried up. Sorry for the wall of text.

Reactions: dn*

dn*

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Use the latest Cakes and skip any step that asks you to format emunand. Alternatively, backup your emunand using emunand tool (the release thread usually stays on the first page, otherwise search for emunand tool release) and then follow the guide you find to the letter (make sure it is an up-to-date guide, Cakes was updated to allow for the latest version in emunand in around early February if I remember correctly), and then reinject your backup afterwards (using emunand tool). That way you won't have to worry about what steps to skip. It won't be too hard - starting Cakes is only a matter of having the right files on your SD card and booting cakes.3dsx from the homebrew launcher. You can then follow any guide for having it autoboot which will be correct for all CFWs (you can pick which one is the default etc). If you don't feel like getting it to autoboot you can still set it up to boot from the DS profile menu, or from Cubic Ninja, or the web browser.
You can use rxTools instead of Cakes too - really anything is fine. I personally am not in favour of rxTools as it is really messy and every version has a different layout so trying to follow tutorials becomes a pain because it might not be for the version you have (like it says to touch a button on the touch screen and that button isn't there and you get annoyed). I might compare rxTools to Android and ReiNand/Cakes to Apple iOS - Android has more features but useability is low (it isn't easy to work out how to do what you need to do, you try to look up a tutorial and they all seem to assume you have a button which you don't have), Apple iOS is really really user-friendly (you can do everything you want to do on your device by looking and immediately working out what to do because it is obvious, and all tutorials will tell you what you need to do because the UI is uniform across all devices and versions) but you don't have those advanced tools (e.g. writing macros with Tasker). And anyway, all the advanced stuff that rxTools used to be good for is now being done by decrypt9 and emunand9 so the extra utility of rxTools has almost dried up. Sorry for the wall of text.
Please no apology needed, you're the first person to offer some decent advice, thank you! I'd decided on rxtools mostly because it features frequently in CFW guides/info.

I'll backup my emunand like you suggest and look into cakes.

Peripheral question - will the CFW installs touch my SYSNAND in any way? I'd like to keep it at 4.5 if possible.

Thanks again

Edit:

Also, are there things I will 'lose' from going from GW to specific CFW? I mostly just want to play backups, but I like Region Free, CIA/eshop game backup support etc.

Last edited by dn*,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Please no apology needed, you're the first person to offer some decent advice, thank you! I'd decided on rxtools mostly because it features frequently in CFW guides/info.

I'll backup my emunand like you suggest and look into cakes.

Peripheral question - will the CFW installs touch my SYSNAND in any way? I'd like to keep it at 4.5 if possible.

Thanks again
Oh right I forgot you were on 4.5!! In that case, you don't have to update, but it limits the way you can boot into CFW (no autoboot for you, requires 9.0-9.2). I think rxTools might actually be your only choice, I'm not certain if Cakes works on 4.5. Your best option is probably going to be using the DS profile exploit, which I'm assuming you're familiar with given you used a Gateway. Setting it up for rxTools will be identical, only you are running a different .nds file to install it. If you lost your blue card you can also install the DS profile exploit using the web browser. Good luck!!!

Reactions: dn*

dn*

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Oh right I forgot you were on 4.5!! In that case, you don't have to update, but it limits the way you can boot into CFW (no autoboot for you, requires 9.0-9.2). I think rxTools might actually be your only choice, I'm not certain if Cakes works on 4.5. Your best option is probably going to be using the DS profile exploit, which I'm assuming you're familiar with given you used a Gateway. Setting it up for rxTools will be identical, only you are running a different .nds file to install it. If you lost your blue card you can also install the DS profile exploit using the web browser. Good luck!!!
Thanks, rxtools it is then. Yep, I boot into emunand using the Profile exploit I guess. I still have the blue card somewhere I think.

Another question if you don't mind - will I be able to boot into emunand without an internet connection? Will I ever need to have my gateway stuff to hand for updates (as things stand now I mean). And my other question is now does rxtools 'lose' anything I had in GW - region free, being able to play CIA/eshop games?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Thanks, rxtools it is then. Yep, I boot into emunand using the Profile exploit I guess. I still have the blue card somewhere I think.

Another question if you don't mind - will I be able to boot into emunand without an internet connection? Will I ever need to have my gateway stuff to hand for updates (as things stand now I mean). And my other question is now does rxtools 'lose' anything I had in GW - region free, being able to play CIA/eshop games?

If you use the DS Profile Exploit you won't ever need the internet - unless you lose your blue card, install it using the web browser, and then later on play a DS game which wipes it and means you have to install it again.

I THINK rxTools has region-free built in, but if it doesn't you can always use freemultipatcher. There will be no games you won't be able to play with rxTools that you'd be able to play with Gateway. The only two advantages to Gateway: 1. the Select menu (which means you don't need to spend time installing games that you might not like), and 2. the Cheat function (which NTR can do as well, but the Gateway one is really user friendly and easy for noobs to operate). One advantage to rxTools over Gateway that I can think of off the top of my head is the ability to play GBA games. Still requires a bit of fiddling but you'll be able to play them in the end. I wouldn't get rid of your Gateway card unless you're desperate for cash - you never know what they might come up with in the future. Although there's not too likely a chance it would be something you would really want with your 4.5 machine (for example they might provide support for 10.3 sysNAND). It could be something on the same line as Cheats though which benefits everybody no matter what firmware they're running.

ArugulaZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure if I should be asking noob questions since I've been here since like, 2009, but here goes.

Has anyone found an exploit for the DSi beyond SudokuHax? It seems a shame to let all that extra RAM and processing power go to waste.

SaintTiduz

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Sorry for noob question
I want to cfw my n3ds xl 10.5 us using the guide from Plailect.
Can I play a hacked roms with only the first 3 steps? ignoring the step 4 and 5?
Because I saw few people on forum/reddit said that they've bricked their 3ds
Can I continue to step 4 and 5 in a latter time?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That you'll only see once
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Double dickhead chinballs is still better than double dickhead eyeballs.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    As in, the balls will grow in your eye sockets.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I paid 5 grand to get them moved to my chin
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    This you?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My hair can't be that cool
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Ah, yes, portrait mode, surely the best way to film a row of people. If only there were some way to fit a wider shot, at the expense of height... if only...
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    4k portrait mode?
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Diddy - "I never touched her, that bitch is crazy." Video is released. Diddy - " Ok I did it, i am remorseful for my actions during my darkest times." Lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, Glad that the Diddler got caught once again.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Iran ran out of options
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thought I saw my ex on that new kingdom of the Apes poster
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I thought I saw a puttie snatch...
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm so pumped, NCAA football video game is back after a 10 year hiatus, coming to SeriesS/X, PS5 in July.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wish they would let us play the NCAA football 14 on newer xbox, its one of the only games I love and own on disc still, that is not back compatible, bs.
  • AdenTheThird @ AdenTheThird:
    @BigOnYa My dad recently bought a spare Series X off of me, got game pass, and saw Madden '24 on Game Pass, decided to try it out.

...He was a bit taken aback by the 60GB download size. Poor guy's still living in the 90s!
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @AdenTheThird, Bro's still in the PS2 age.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol charging your dad's classic unless he's the type that doesn't like taking things like that
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol charging your dad's classic unless he's the type that doesn't like taking things like that