• Views 4,464,589
  • Replies 53,774
  • Likes 43

gridatttack

Trophies
XP
Country
El Salvador
Is there a tutorial somewhere on how to update to 9.2 from older versions?

A friend has a console on 8.1.9-19U and he is looking to mod it to bring it to 9.2 and install rxtools.

Any tutorial?

Deleted member 125555

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
no
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Hey guys, I am currently looking to buy an used 3DS. Once I have purchased it, I want to get a flashcart. I live in Canada. What is the best flashcart available to me for a low price?

Also, can ROMs loaded onto a flashcart be played online? I want to know if there are any discrepancies between a flashcart game and a legitimate copy, because when I had my M3 on the Nintendo DS, there were basically no discrepencies.

thedude28

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey guys, I am currently looking to buy an used 3DS. Once I have purchased it, I want to get a flashcart. I live in Canada. What is the best flashcart available to me for a low price?

Also, can ROMs loaded onto a flashcart be played online? I want to know if there are any discrepancies between a flashcart game and a legitimate copy, because when I had my M3 on the Nintendo DS, there were basically no discrepencies.

No flashcard is cheap, but modchipcentral is pretty good. I got mine from there.

And you'd have to get a private header to play online if you don't want to get your console banned. Otherwise it's legit.

Deleted member 125555

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
no
XP
Country
Afghanistan
No flashcard is cheap, but modchipcentral is pretty good. I got mine from there.

And you'd have to get a private header to play online if you don't want to get your console banned. Otherwise it's legit.

I'll take a look at them.

I'm doing a bit of looking, and I found that there are Gateway 3DS and Sky3DS, but I'm finding that the Gateway one has a lot of limitations and needs to be set up using Cubic Ninjas. It seems like a lot more restriction than what I had on my M3 with my DS. Anyways, does Sky3DS have these restrictions? Are there any other options that play 3DS games?

I will look into private headers.

Last edited by Deleted member 125555,

hisagishi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I'd wait until you had the 3ds before buying a cart. If its above 9.5 then gateway would not work on it and the 3ds would need to be downgraded.

CFW is free and its what I would recommend. I have a gateway card and am currently not even using it since CFW does everything that gateway does. It takes a bit of work to get it set up but once its done you are golden.

All you need for CFW is a system on 9.5 or below and a browser to initially set it up.

Deleted member 125555

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
no
XP
Country
Afghanistan
I'd wait until you had the 3ds before buying a cart. If its above 9.5 then gateway would not work on it and the 3ds would need to be downgraded.

CFW is free and its what I would recommend. I have a gateway card and am currently not even using it since CFW does everything that gateway does. It takes a bit of work to get it set up but once its done you are golden.

All you need for CFW is a system on 9.5 or below and a browser to initially set it up.

Hello,

Thank you for bringing CFW to my attention. I will look into it, friend.

I am seeing that there are many restrictions on many methods. This is okay for me, but I am just wondering; am I out of options if I purchase a device that is above 9.5?

I will of course be purchasing the 3DS before doing anything, but I like to plan these things out ahead of time so that there are no surprises.

Thank you, take care. :)

hisagishi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,

I am seeing that there are many restrictions on many methods. This is okay for me, but I am just wondering; am I out of options if I purchase a device that is above 9.5?

I will of course be purchasing the 3DS before doing anything, but I like to plan these things out ahead of time so that there are no surprises.

I haven't really looked into anything above 9.2 so I am not entirely sure so don't take my word for it but I think I read somewhere that if its at 1.0.5 (which is above 9.2) then you can downgrade it but not if its 1.0.6 which unless the seller updated it sometime this or last week then it won't be on 1.0.6.

I'd wait for more answers if I were you. I haven't read up on anything above 9.2

Last edited by hisagishi,

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a tutorial somewhere on how to update to 9.2 from older versions?

A friend has a console on 8.1.9-19U and he is looking to mod it to bring it to 9.2 and install rxtools.

Any tutorial?
you got the order wrong (common mistake) you install rxtools and use that to update
[Tutorial] Installing rxTools Custom Firmware - (3DS and 2DS)

Hello,

nope not screwed
the target system is 9.2 or lower
9.3 to 10.3 can downgrade and anything higher than that will need to be hard-modded in order to downgrade

Deleted member 125555

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
no
XP
Country
Afghanistan
I haven't really looked into anything above 9.2 so I am not entirely sure so don't take my word for it but I think I read somewhere that if its at 1.0.5 (which is above 9.2) then you can downgrade it but not if its 1.0.6 which unless the seller updated it sometime this or last week then it won't be on 1.0.6.

I'd wait for more answers if I were you. I haven't read up on anything above 9.2

Thank you, I'll keep this in mind when purchasing.

nope not screwed
the target system is 9.2 or lower
9.3 to 10.3 can downgrade and anything higher than that will need to be hard-modded in order to downgrade

Thanks. I assume that if I purchase a device that has been very recently updated, I will simply need to wait for time and my 3DS version will eventually be downgradable?

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you, I'll keep this in mind when purchasing.

Thanks. I assume that if I purchase a device that has been very recently updated, I will simply need to wait for time and my 3DS version will eventually be downgradable?
well there is always that possibility . . . but realistically speaking its not likely for at least a year (if ever) . . . every time devs hack, nintendo updates and the opportunities become fewer in number and harder to find

but if you have soldering skills (or are willing to pay someone who does) then any 3ds can be downgraded . . . otherwise try to find one in as low a fw as possable

Deleted member 125555

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
no
XP
Country
Afghanistan
well there is always that possibility . . . but realistically speaking its not likely for at least a year (if ever) . . . every time devs hack, nintendo updates and the opportunities become fewer in number and harder to find

but if you have soldering skills (or are willing to pay someone who does) then any 3ds can be downgraded . . . otherwise try to find one in as low a fw as possable

I will keep this in mind. Thank you friend.

Navii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I just bought a gateway for my old 3DS on firmware 5.1.0-0, only to find out I don't have a browser and thus can't get it to work. I thought I could make a nand backup and use rxtools to update the browser, but in order to boot it requires either a browser, the Homebrew Launcher, or menuhax + CTRBootmanager (not sure what that is exactly). HBL is not an option, since it too requires a browser, ninjahax (don't have cubic ninja), or homemenuhax. How do I get around this?

Would it be possible to update the system to 9.2 with a game cart, use homemenuhax to boot the Homebrew Launcher and go from there?
Or should I just get myself a cubic ninja game? (so expensive though)
I also heard some things about an exploit having to do with Ocarina of Time, but I really don't understand it very much.
Or is there a CFW that doesnt require homebrew, ninjahax, browsers, etc.?
Or any other options?

Your help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Navii,

Temarile

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ A9LH ✧゚・: *ヽ(◕ヮ◕ヽ)
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I just bought a gateway for my old 3DS on firmware 5.1.0-0, only to find out I don't have a browser and thus can't get it to work. I thought I could make a nand backup and use rxtools to update the browser, but in order to boot it requires either a browser, the Homebrew Launcher, or menuhax + CTRBootmanager (not sure what that is exactly). HBL is not an option, since it too requires a browser, ninjahax (don't have cubic ninja), or homemenuhax. How do I get around this?

Would it be possible to update the system to 9.2 with a game cart, use homemenuhax to boot the Homebrew Launcher and go from there?
Or should I just get myself a cubic ninja game? (so expensive though)
I also heard some things about an exploit having to do with Ocarina of Time, but I really don't understand it very much.
Or is there a CFW that doesnt require homebrew, ninjahax, browsers, etc.?
Or any other options?

You're help would be greatly appreciated!

I'm in the same position; updating using a game cart does update your system but does not get you a browser. It is suggested to use cubic ninja and ocarina of time to load homebrew BUT you would need the physical card. I'm going to buy a 3ds flashcard for nds games and load something up on it that makes the browser possible. I had a guide for it somewhere.. There is no CFW that does not need homebrew access because homebrew is what you use to even install CFW.

Navii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I'm in the same position; updating using a game cart does update your system but does not get you a browser. It is suggested to use cubic ninja and ocarina of time to load homebrew BUT you would need the physical card. I'm going to buy a 3ds flashcard for nds games and load something up on it that makes the browser possible. I had a guide for it somewhere.. There is no CFW that does not need homebrew access because homebrew is what you use to even install CFW.

So if I were to have a physical copy of Ocarina of Time, I would be able to load the homebrew launcher?

Temarile

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ A9LH ✧゚・: *ヽ(◕ヮ◕ヽ)
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So if I were to have a physical copy of Ocarina of Time, I would be able to load the homebrew launcher?

Actually, I'm afraid not. For Ocarina of Time you'd need another device that can run the homebrew launcher because in order to use OoT as an entry point instead of the browser, you need to load a special save file onto the cartridge. You can only do that when you have homebrew access on another device. Keep in mind that any device with browser, even on fw 10.5, can enter homebrew.

Navii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Ah okay, so what would you suggest I'd do? I don't have another device, so my only option is to upgrade this one to 10.6, but I guess I won't be able to use gateway anymore then?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/NGOSybO-5R4?si=SmiQ0UaynHR80xC9