• Replies 53,797
  • Likes 43

Critichart

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
El Salvador
I have a question please help :C the thing is i want to get a sky3ds to acces the homebrew, but i don't know, is it true that the newest games won't work? (i'm asking because i'm curious to see how it works, and yes, i DO buy my games it's just a test + ninjhax) so, i read this somewhere in this site is it true?

ZiggyRose64

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only 3DS flashcart available to you is the Sky3DS (and its clones). The Sky3DS can only run retail ROMs (so no ROM hacks directly). However, one of the things it can do is run a game called Cubic Ninja, which is currently the best entrypoint for homebrew. And one of the things homebrew can do is run ROM hacks, although to what extent and whether or not you can do ROM hacks with Sky3DS is something that I do not know. I also believe that there is a GBA emulator for 3DS homebrew.

The other major type of 3DS flashcarts (namely the Gateway) require the system to be on 9.2 or lower to take advantage of exploits that were patched with later updates.

For NDS games, just get a separate flashcard for the original DS. I believe the major ones still work.
Thanks, but how would I go about getting Cubic Ninja? It's a 3DS game isn't it? Every time I look for 3DS roms, I run into something annoying to do to be allowed to download such, like participating in scamming surveys as a requirement for example. Also, one of the things I want to do is mod a Pokemon 3DS rom so I can do what kinds of things Sleepy Jirachi does for his gameplay videos on his Youtube channel. He still hasn't explained some of how he does the stuff in the gameplay videos... :<

kingaz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, but how would I go about getting Cubic Ninja? It's a 3DS game isn't it? Every time I look for 3DS roms, I run into something annoying to do to be allowed to download such, like participating in scamming surveys as a requirement for example. Also, one of the things I want to do is mod a Pokemon 3DS rom so I can do what kinds of things Sleepy Jirachi does for his gameplay videos on his Youtube channel. He still hasn't explained some of how he does the stuff in the gameplay videos... :<

If you want an actual copy of Cubic Ninja (it is a 3DS game, but it is out of print), be prepared to pay a lot for it on ebay or something (maybe you're lucky and a game shop around has a used copy for cheap). With a Sky3DS, you can actually use a ROM of Cubic Ninja, and it will accomplish the same thing. That is all I can say on the subject, however, as linking to ROMs is strictly verboten here.

Use Google.

As far as ROM hacks go, here's a thread I found: https://gbatemp.net/threads/play-rom-hacks-easier-hans-without-piracy-downloading.401162/
This might not make much sense until you actually set up your 3DS for homebrew, but just in case, here you go.

Finally, if you just want to do a ROM hack, and already have a legit cart, you can pick of a copy of Ocarina of Time 3D (there seems to have been a reprint recently) and a Powersaves 3DS to inject the save used to run the exploit. Using something called HANS, you can actually play ROM hacks on legit carts!

I have a question please help :C the thing is i want to get a sky3ds to acces the homebrew, but i don't know, is it true that the newest games won't work? (i'm asking because i'm curious to see how it works, and yes, i DO buy my games it's just a test + ninjhax) so, i read this somewhere in this site is it true?

Yes, there are newer games (like Zelda Triforce Heroes) that use a copy protection mechanism to block Sky3DS and its ilk.

Reactions: Critichart

ZiggyRose64

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you want an actual copy of Cubic Ninja (it is a 3DS game, but it is out of print), be prepared to pay a lot for it on ebay or something (maybe you're lucky and a game shop around has a used copy for cheap). With a Sky3DS, you can actually use a ROM of Cubic Ninja, and it will accomplish the same thing. That is all I can say on the subject, however, as linking to ROMs is strictly verboten here.

Use Google.

As far as ROM hacks go, here's a thread I found: https://gbatemp.net/threads/play-rom-hacks-easier-hans-without-piracy-downloading.401162/
This might not make much sense until you actually set up your 3DS for homebrew, but just in case, here you go.

Finally, if you just want to do a ROM hack, and already have a legit cart, you can pick of a copy of Ocarina of Time 3D (there seems to have been a reprint recently) and a Powersaves 3DS to inject the save used to run the exploit. Using something called HANS, you can actually play ROM hacks on legit carts!
Luckily, I do have a copy of Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D. It's hard to understand how to do all this with only text to teach me how to do this...

kingaz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Luckily, I do have a copy of Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D. It's hard to understand how to do all this with only text to teach me how to do this...

1) Keep in mind: you'll need some way to set up OOT3D hax on Ocarina. You'll need a person with homebrew already set up, or you'll need access to something like a Powersaves 3DS device.

2) I believe you lose your save data in Zelda when you set it up for hax, and you won't be able to play it while it has the hax installed. So keep that in mind.

Anyway, here's your one-stop shop for the homebrew menu: http://smealum.github.io/3ds/
And here's a video I just googled for how to set up Pokemon ROM hacks with that HANS thing I mentioned:

Reactions: ZiggyRose64

ZiggyRose64

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1) Keep in mind: you'll need some way to set up OOT3D hax on Ocarina. You'll need a person with homebrew already set up, or you'll need access to something like a Powersaves 3DS device.

2) I believe you lose your save data in Zelda when you set it up for hax, and you won't be able to play it while it has the hax installed. So keep that in mind.

Anyway, here's your one-stop shop for the homebrew menu: http://smealum.github.io/3ds/
And here's a video I just googled for how to set up Pokemon ROM hacks with that HANS thing I mentioned:

Thanks!

honyo29

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Have not kept up in the scene but, is it possible to load a linked emunand with theme hax yet?

This is something likely to never happen and it's because linked NAND's share the same folders pointing at the same files.

So whenever you load emunand it is trying to load the same hacked theme data as sysnand.

There will be no "fix" for it since is not something that it is actually broken or that should be worked on.
there are some people using menuhax with linked nands.
it's pretty simple, because this is what i do when i want to enter my sysnand on rx/pasta, even on unlinked nands, menuhax will load when i enter sysnand.
you just need to enable the menuhax when booting the first time, then disable it when it it boots emunand, manually, so no button free coldboot cfw if you use menuhax on linked nand.
simply setup menuhax with option 1 and select the key button you need to hold to activate. turn on your 3ds while holding the key button, after the menuhax runs, release the key button and let it boot emunand without menuhax activated.

How does one install CIA files with a gateway?
there are link to dev menu on their site (or any other cia installer will do). use it on red cart to install cia in your 3ds (m)sd card, you can also use the .3ds version to install the .cia version (any cia installer you want to use). it's basically the same as cfw user installing cia, except you don't need to do any injection methods or need hbl to install your first .cia thanks to your redcart.

Last edited by honyo29,
Reactions: keven3477

covert

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have a N3DS with themehax set up to launch on holding "L" when it boots. I also just got a Gateway.

What do I need to do to get Gateway Launcher running in this setup ? I hopped to just put the gateway files into the homebrew 3DS internal card folder, but Gateway has no 3dsx file format.

thedude28

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have a N3DS with themehax set up to launch on holding "L" when it boots. I also just got a Gateway.

What do I need to do to get Gateway Launcher running in this setup ? I hopped to just put the gateway files into the homebrew 3DS internal card folder, but Gateway has no 3dsx file format.

That's because Gateway is a cfw and is not homebrew.

First you need to check if your 3ds is on firmware 9.2 or less. If it is higher than 9.2, then you're out of luck.

Second, if your 3ds is on firmware 9.2 or less, you need a copy of Cubic Ninja or Ocarina of Time to install Gateway.

honyo29

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Do you have to be on firmware 9.0 or 9.2 to use gateway or is any lower ok?

Cheers
any lower should be ok, but just to be sure, if you're lower than 4.x maybe you'll need to update to 4.x using cart.

gw launcher doesn't support menuhax. only restricted to its entry point. mset (dg mset only on n3ds), browser exploit, cn, and oot.

Reactions: Dean29

covert

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
That's because Gateway is a cfw and is not homebrew.

First you need to check if your 3ds is on firmware 9.2 or less. If it is higher than 9.2, then you're out of luck.

Second, if your 3ds is on firmware 9.2 or less, you need a copy of Cubic Ninja or Ocarina of Time to install Gateway.

Thanks. That makes sense. I'll use a Sky3DS card with Cubic Ninja on it then. It is 9.2 :)

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks. That makes sense. I'll use a Sky3DS card with Cubic Ninja on it then. It is 9.2 :)
9.2 you dont need no stinkin flashcard
n3ds [Tutorial] How-to install a CFW on a 9.0-9.2 N3DS without CN/OOT
o3ds [Tutorial] Installing rxTools Custom Firmware - (Old 3DS and 2DS)
Thanks, but how would I go about getting Cubic Ninja? It's a 3DS game isn't it? Every time I look for 3DS roms, I run into something annoying to do to be allowed to download such
google 3ds roms there is a good reddit link there

Last edited by wormdood,

NoResethNL

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I have a nintento 3ds xl (old model) with firmware 8.1.0-10E.
I have a R5SDHC card to run backup games.
Some games run fine , but some others give the "gamecard removed" error.
When I hold the button for five seconds, and then press "A" to start the game, it starts.
However it always gives the message "data will be removed" within the game, which erases all save games.

Can anybody tell me why this is happening, and how to solve ?
As far as I have read so far , all other hacks, like CubicNinja are for homebrew , but not for running backup games, right ?

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a nintento 3ds xl (old model) with firmware 8.1.0-10E.
I have a R5SDHC card to run backup games.
Some games run fine , but some others give the "gamecard removed" error.
When I hold the button for five seconds, and then press "A" to start the game, it starts.
However it always gives the message "data will be removed" within the game, which erases all save games.

Can anybody tell me why this is happening, and how to solve ?
As far as I have read so far , all other hacks, like CubicNinja are for homebrew , but not for running backup games, right ?
you can install rxtools and use backups in .cia format [Tutorial] Installing rxTools Custom Firmware - (Old 3DS and 2DS)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    I'm avoiding buying from the big 3 at all atm
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    At one point PC game pads where poorly supported, loading a game had setup, it was complicated. Now it's almost as easy as a console.
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    nintendo needs to up their game soon
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah even bt support for Xbox one controllers are just as easy as pairing
    +1
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    considering the steamdeck can emulate the switch (yikes) theres almost 0 reason to buy the switch apart from playing online and using cartridges
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Xinput and 360 dongles were a driver nightmare
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I remember having to manually put in drivers and what not
    Yeah the 360 dongles sucked
    But the new Xbox pads? PIr it up and if a game supports it it just works
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Most emulators even automatically detect them now
    Yeah it's a good time to be alive lol
    Pi4 and Batocera works with them perfectly too
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'd like to see future tap to pair options like you hold it over a scanner and it just automatically pairs
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No need for additional cords buttons or anything
    Hmmm yeah that is possible BT has an address like an IP
    Scan a QR code on your phone open a page with the controller and a QR code for the device, hit go and done
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    One less latency issue for radio frequency
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or even wifi pair opening just an app to sign is nice
    Yeah it could be hosted on the phone hmmm it's an idea Ken
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    But could be bad for people with lower speeds but how many mbs would it really need to detect a button press
    Nearly nothing
    Most of it BT used
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That's how I pair with uremum, I wave a $5 bill across her face, and instant link.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @The Real Jdbye, lol