• Likes 43

lemanuel

Maxconsole's All-Knowing Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Depends on the N3DS.

Firmware up to 9.2: Gateway 3DS is your best choice, but actually you don't even need a flashcard, there are several custom firmwares out there.
Firmware above 9.2: Sky3DS + mGBA emulator via one of smealum's several hax

And to play DS games, you need a DS flashcart. No other way. Best one is DSTWO

lemanuel

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Right, for some weird reason I thought he was asking for retail NDS games... :D If he decides to buy Gateway, he will get a cheap R4 clone for free, though.

And he also needs CN or OoT with Gateway though. At least for the first time.
With CFWs it might not be necessary anymore though.

RegularMoron

Trophies
XP
Country
France
But beware, do not let it inserted when you don't use it. It is power hungry and will kill your battery life.

From what I've understood, the battery life is worse because emunand constantly read/write to the SD card. It doesn't really make a lot of difference when you use it, but in sleep mode it can seriously be more battery-consuming than sysnand. So when you close your console, put it back in sysnand before putting it in sleep mode, and everything should be fine.
I ran several tests, and it appears the CFW was not responsible. Only the DSTWO. Damn, I wish I could use the DS One instead.

And he also needs CN or OoT with Gateway though. At least for the first time.
With CFWs it might not be necessary anymore though.
I can attest that it is not necessary anymore. I've installed emunand/Rxmode without CN/OoT/Gateway hardware, thanks to VerseHell tutorials (N3DS below 9.2).

Reactions: Arithmatics

Arithmatics

I'll be holding on to you. ;}
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Is there a quick and easy way to convert an existing out of region CIA into a regionfree one?

3ds to cia converter. You'll need to convert the cia back to 3ds first though. Well that's
how I do. Not sure about any other existing tool.
Yeah, thought so. It's just Gateway that requires it. Not the case anymore for CFWs
CFW is the future. All you quite literally need is a 3ds with firmware 9.2. Gateway is no longer necessary. Well... Only in an emunand perspective at least.

Reactions: bjaxx87

X_Frost

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, if you want to play them on EmuNAND you need to install them on both NANDs (but only if they are unlinked). If you want to play them on signature patched SysNAND there's no need install them to EmuNAND.

How would I install DSiWare to SysNand?
Can I use the gateway Red Card to install to SysNand then use one of the CFW's to run it then?

Vieri

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Depends on the N3DS.

Firmware up to 9.2: Gateway 3DS is your best choice, but actually you don't even need a flashcard, there are several custom firmwares out there.
Firmware above 9.2: Sky3DS + mGBA emulator via one of smealum's several hax

Since I decided to buy a New! Nintendo 3DS XL I guess it will be shipped with >9.2, right?
So I'll have to buy Sky3ds , get the mGBA emulator and buy the DSTWO?
Will be around 100$?

Arithmatics

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Since I decided to buy a New! Nintendo 3DS XL I guess it will be shipped with >9.2, right?
Will be around 100$?

You can instead opt to shop around and find a console that has 9.2< firmware. There's a complete thread dedicated to serials determining it. It could save you quite a lot if you're strapped for cash

Reactions: RegularMoron

bjaxx87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
How would I install DSiWare to SysNand?
Can I use the gateway Red Card to install to SysNand then use one of the CFW's to run it then?
Yup, that works. Just boot into Gateway mode while holding B, then press X to enter "GW mode SysNAND". You can use BigBlueMenu or something similar to install the DSiWare.

Will be around 100$?
What Arithmatics said. N3DS on lower firmware are getting fewer and fewer but ebay is your friend. Just ask around or spend some extra money on rare limited editions like the MH4UE N3DS XL (around 340 € in Germany) which should have 9.2 firmware.

BobDoleOwndU

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Will be around 100$?
You can instead opt to shop around and find a console that has 9.2< firmware. There's a complete thread dedicated to serials determining it. It could save you quite a lot if you're strapped for cash
This thread to be specific: https://gbatemp.net/threads/n3ds-xl-firmware-by-version-number.381479/.

Reactions: RegularMoron

João Pina

Trophies
XP
Country
Hello, not sure if it is the right place to ask, but here it is...

My soon has a 3DS that he is using from several years now. When I purchased it I have installed an M3I zero card so it can play games. But now, he has forgoten that he can not update the 3DS, and just updated it. The 3DS is now on version 10.1.0 - 27E.

I looked into the web of M3I but I think this is not anymore supported...

Is there a way to remove the update so the 3ds can work again with the M3I zero card?

If not, is there a way to be able to play all the games roms he has?

Thank you for helping me.

Arithmatics

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Hello, not sure if it is the right place to ask, but here it is...

My soon has a 3DS that he is using from several years now. When I purchased it I have installed an M3I zero card so it can play games. But now, he has forgoten that he can not update the 3DS, and just updated it. The 3DS is now on version 10.1.0 - 27E.

I looked into the web of M3I but I think this is not anymore supported...

Is there a way to remove the update so the 3ds can work again with the M3I zero card?

If not, is there a way to be able to play all the games roms he has?

Thank you for helping me.

No i'm sorry. You just blocked yourself out of playing any roms. The only way to play is to purchase a Sky3DS and even that's limited to 3ds games and not ds games

João Pina

Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you Aritmatics for your quick reply. Well that's a bad news! I have just checked and Sky3DS is a very expensive card. I'm not sure but as far as I can remember the M3Izero has costed me about 20€, this one is almost 80€!!

I also have checked this great forum and it seams there is a way to downgrade the 3DS but only till a 9.xx version. Do you think that in, let's say, about 4 or 5 months(or sooner), there will be a release of this downgrade solution that can work with this current version 10.1.0 27E?

Thank you again.

lemanuel

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Thank you Aritmatics for your quick reply. Well that's a bad news! I have just checked and Sky3DS is a very expensive card. I'm not sure but as far as I can remember the M3Izero has costed me about 20€, this one is almost 80€!!

I also have checked this great forum and it seams there is a way to downgrade the 3DS but only till a 9.xx version. Do you think that in, let's say, about 4 or 5 months(or sooner), there will be a release of this downgrade solution that can work with this current version 10.1.0 27E?

Thank you again.

Hard to say. There's really no ETA for those kinds of developments. It might happen but it also might not.
If the only thing your son wants to play is DS games (hence the DS flashcart you had), you can get a R4i Gold or R4i RTS very cheaply (around 10/15€ maybe) and it supports the latest firmware. You can also opt for the DSTWO which is slightly more expensive but it's the best DS flashcart available in the market (it also allows to play some nice retro emulators).

But yeah, like I said, if your son's solo interest is DS roms, then a recent R4i flashcart will do the trick just fine.

DamonWay

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, im new here and new to the flashcard for the 3DS, i recently bought an Gateway since i tought i could downgrade my 3DS, i misread the topic, and now im stuck with the Gateway ultra and an 3DS with firmware v10.1 ^^' i know its not possible to downgrade, i tried to search, but is there any rumor or something that can tell that there will be some way to downgrade from 10.1 to the 9.2?

Thank you in advance ^^

lemanuel

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Hi, im new here and new to the flashcard for the 3DS, i recently bought an Gateway since i tought i could downgrade my 3DS, i misread the topic, and now im stuck with the Gateway ultra and an 3DS with firmware v10.1 ^^' i know its not possible to downgrade, i tried to search, but is there any rumor or something that can tell that there will be some way to downgrade from 10.1 to the 9.2?

Thank you in advance ^^

Nope. and as I said above, not likely to happen any time soon. It might happen in the future but no real ETA for something like that or even any certainty for now.
Your only options are either:
a) exchange console for one with 9.2 or below
b) exchange Gateway for a Sky3DS
c) wait to see if something happens eventually

I would say that I do not recommend the 3rd one.

DamonWay

Trophies
XP
Country
Nope. and as I said above, not likely to happen any time soon. It might happen in the future but no real ETA for something like that or even any certainty for now.
Your only options are either:
a) exchange console for one with 9.2 or below
b) exchange Gateway for a Sky3DS
c) wait to see if something happens eventually

I would say that I do not recommend the 3rd one.

Thank you :) Right now the Sky3DS is a bit too much for my pocket but, ill try to find some good stores in the UK or Spain that sells it and probably will buy it, oh well, its the price for me misreading the posts xD

lemanuel

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Thank you :) Right now the Sky3DS is a bit too much for my pocket but, ill try to find some good stores in the UK or Spain that sells it and probably will buy it, oh well, its the price for me misreading the posts xD

You're welcome and I hope you can find it ;)

X_Frost

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yup, that works. Just boot into Gateway mode while holding B, then press X to enter "GW mode SysNAND". You can use BigBlueMenu or something similar to install the DSiWare.

Thanks, I got it installed and am now running Mario Calculator now :) (using ReiNAND)

Reactions: bjaxx87

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Materia_tofu @ Materia_tofu: hey sylv? do you know why gameyob crashes on the EZP?