• Views 4,464,459
  • Replies 53,774
  • Likes 43

ongo_gablogian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
do you have the actual gw cart? if not, you will want to install the leaked cfw first, and then use that to install the proper browser version.
No, I do not have a gateway. I'm not sure of the exact CFW you're referring to, do you think you could send me a link? Thanks for the help.

DeadBeginning

Trophies
XP
Country
Haven't touched my 3ds XL in a while so I'm completely out of touch with things here.. I have an untouched 3DSXL with firmware 7.1.0-16e.. where should I start from here? I want to get into some pokemon ORAS, but really just want to get up to date with things

2Hack

HYPiavelli
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
Canada
No, I do not have a gateway. I'm not sure of the exact CFW you're referring to, do you think you could send me a link? Thanks for the help.
actually, if you go through the downgrade through gw, they should give you the correct browser. Follow the steps as per the gw manual.

I will try to track down the link for the cfw, but if you can get the downgrade working, it is much easier.

ongo_gablogian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
actually, if you go through the downgrade through gw, they should give you the correct browser. Follow the steps as per the gw manual.

I will try to track down the link for the cfw, but if you can get the downgrade working, it is much easier.
When I choose the downgrade option it says it isn't supported for console.

Domino101

Trophies
XP
Country
sorry my bad was looking at another page..... https://gbatemp.net/threads/poc-3ds-region-changing-proof.378110/ thanks much

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

When I choose the downgrade option it says it isn't supported for console.
it will say that cause your firmware is too low, what firmware are you on?

ongo_gablogian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that firmware is too low, it wouldn't downgrade ummm do you have the 4.5.0-7 firmware? not sure if it work but have you tried sysupdate. NOT ON YOUR SYSTEM BUT IN EMUNAND MODE? what region 3ds do you have ?
I don't have 4.5.0-7. I'm on 4.5.0-4U but I'm trying to update to 4.5.0-7U so I can use Ninjhax, as I don't have a gateway. I haven't done anything with emunand yet, is it possible to use that without a gateway.

I'm only trying to use some emulators via the homebrew launcher at the moment, not too interested in installing any .cia game titles.

XXII

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hello, I have the opportunity to buy a second hand O3DS XL with the following firmware : 7.0.0-13E.
I am a bit hesitant to the way I will use it, this is a collector edition device and I do not want to brick it.
I have the choice to buy a Gateway, or an EU CN for pasta CFW. I do not want a sky.
What I want to do :
.cia/3ds files including region-free games, eshop games, DLC, themes.

I think I'll choose the gateway, as it uses emunand and seems to result in less dangerous manipulations. Is it really more safe ?

Some questions without any particular order :
1) Is there a way to uninstall a Gateway/CFW to return the device to its initial/retail state ? Is formating SD card+firmware enough to do that ?
2) If I want to use the web exploit for pokemon QR code injection, I must be in 9.0-9.2. Does it work with a CFW/gateway installed ? If yes, do I need to be in sysnand or emunand to do the qr code injection ?
2b) To update my firmware from 7.x to 9.2 I can use a Cooking Mama EU cartridge. Can this "cartridge update" only be applied to sysnand or to emunand too ?

Domino101

Trophies
XP
Country
the
I don't have 4.5.0-7. I'm on 4.5.0-4U but I'm trying to update to 4.5.0-7U so I can use Ninjhax, as I don't have a gateway. I haven't done anything with emunand yet, is it possible to use that without a gateway.

I'm only trying to use some emulators via the homebrew launcher at the moment, not too interested in installing any .cia game titles.
the best answer I can give to you is to download the 4.5.0-7 firmware using 3DNUS an get sysUpdater.cia install it onto your console using mset and update from there, im not 100% sure it will work haven't tried it myself, not sure if there would be a chance that it could brick your 3ds not sure if there isn't.... not sure if anyone has tried that before

Typhin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First of all, thanks for the excellent reply, it cleared up a lot of things!
The person I'm trying to help switching to a bigger SD doesn't know English, and isn't very familiar with using PC programs, especially in English, so I was hoping to keep the PC side of things to a minimum. Considering he only got it to work yesterday, and doesn't have any saves and the like yet (the 2GB sd is already formatted and on 9.7 emunand though), do you think the following instructions would work:

1. With the 3DS turned off, replace the 2GB SD with a 8 GB SD previously formatted for gateway (1 partition in fat32) and with the new 3.2.2 dat already inside. ( a minor question on this step; would a non formatted SD work too?)
2. Turn on the 3DS using gateway exploit with L button held for gateway recovery mode
3. Backup sysnand (on the new 8 GB SD)
4. Format Emunand (the emunand creates the 2nd partition in this stage, correct?)
5. Use the quick gateway procedure to boot to new emunand
6. After making sure he sees GW3D 4.5 on system settings, update the emunand like normal, directly to the latest 9.8 emunand firmware

Would giving/translating these instructions to him work? I'm aware he would lose any CIAs (if he had any), and changes made to the 3DS' old emunand, but there isn't much for him to lose aside from a few 1 day saves, and it's easy enough to copy paste the save folder anyways (assuming saves from two different emunands can be transferred like that). Since he just acquired this 3DS, I think starting mostly from scratch would be the best and easiest for him. I'm pretty sure he could follow instructions like these, but I don't think he would do very well using the emunand tool, and backing and restoring things using unfamiliar PC programs in English.
[/QUOTE]
The instructions would work, but as you said, you would lose any CIAs and such. (On step 1, an unformatted card wouldn't work, because you wouldn't be able to put Launcher.dat onto it.) Gateway's .sav files would transfer just fine, since they aren't part of the emuNand or anything, but save files for installed games would probably not transfer. Also, formatting emuNand wipes the card, so you should include a step of copying the sysNand backup to the computer between 3 and 4. When completely done with the old 2GB card, the Windows utility "diskpart" can be used to red

EmuNand Tool is literally two buttons, "Extract emuNAND" and "Inject NAND to emuNAND". Even if you don't use it for this process, it's an important tool to have handy, as you should always make a backup of your emuNand before updating or doing anything that could cause problems (like installing system CIAs).

Hello, I have the opportunity to buy a second hand O3DS XL with the following firmware : 7.0.0-13E.
I am a bit hesitant to the way I will use it, this is a collector edition device and I do not want to brick it.
I have the choice to buy a Gateway, or an EU CN for pasta CFW. I do not want a sky.
What I want to do :
.cia/3ds files including region-free games, eshop games, DLC, themes.

I think I'll choose the gateway, as it uses emunand and seems to result in less dangerous manipulations. Is it really more safe ?

Some questions without any particular order :
1) Is there a way to uninstall a Gateway/CFW to return the device to its initial/retail state ? Is formating SD card+firmware enough to do that ?
2) If I want to use the web exploit for pokemon QR code injection, I must be in 9.0-9.2. Does it work with a CFW/gateway installed ? If yes, do I need to be in sysnand or emunand to do the qr code injection ?
2b) To update my firmware from 7.x to 9.2 I can use a Cooking Mama EU cartridge. Can this "cartridge update" only be applied to sysnand or to emunand too ?
1) There is usually minimal changes to the system software involved. Exactly what changes depend on what you do. With an Old 3DS, your usual options are to downgrade to 4.5, or use the browser exploit. The browser exploit leaves no lasting changes to the system, and the downgrade can be "undone" by doing a System Update and Format System Memory (to remove the NVRAM Profile). To remove the emuNand partition from an SD card, you will need to use a partition manager such as "diskpart" that comes with Windows. Formatting will only format the FAT32 partition.
2) I am not too familiar with the exploit in question, but I believe it works just fine in emuNand. You need to be in whichever nand you use to play the game, I would assume.
2b) You can do it in either, but I believe there is a key combination you have to use to disable the "skip update check" when booting emuNand. Card updates do not include the browser, though, so if you need a specific browser version, the better option would be to just grab the appropriate CIA from 3DNUS and install that.

As long as you're not messing with system applications, the chance of a brick is pretty close to zero. Even if you are, as long as you're careful and follow guides, you're pretty safe. Generally, the only time you risk anything is during the downgrade to 4.5. As long as you make sure the system doesn't get turned off mid-downgrade, you have nothing to worry about. I would still recommend you make a backup of your NAND before doing anything just in case, since if something DOES happen, you can get a hardware mod that will let you restore that backup. (If the system boots, you can restore it yourself using the Gateway launcher. The mod is for the case where the system doesn't boot on its own at all.) Once you're running emuNand, and as long as you're only making changes to it, it's impossible to brick your system. emuNAND Tool lets you back up and restore your emuNand whenever you want, I'd recommend making a backup any time you're about to make any changes (like updating to a new version, installing any system CIAs, etc).

Reactions: RPG_Fan_1 and XXII

bendrr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see the latest 9.8 system firmware but I haven't played with a gateway in a while. Whats the latest firmware gateway supports? I see 9.8 for emunand. Tired of looking...

KrimzoneReaver

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an o3ds with a sysnand of 7.1.0-14U with v1.7552 browser, emunand GW3D 9.5.0-23U with 1.7567 browser. If I am running my sysnand to play a cartridge, I am still able to use the Home button while playing a game, but when I am using my emunand to run a rom (using Gateway) or cartridge (using Gateway Classic), my Home button is disabled. Do I need to downgrade my sysnand to 4.5 in order to use my Home button with emunand? I need to be able to do this to use AR codes, and it would make switching games easier.

coolfuze

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, I have a 4GB SD card I would like to keep for legit CIA's. My sysnand is 4.5. I'm just wondering what is the easiest way to install a legit CIA and update emunand on the SD without having dual nand. I've gotten it to work but having 2 NAND's on the SD takes up to much space, I can install the game but I don't have space for the update. So now I'm only looking to install and run the legit game from a single nand SD, thank you.

EDIT problem sorted, nevermind

Last edited by coolfuze,

xvinh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Uh... There's this guy who is selling some Pokemon games but he mentions that he took/copied the headers. I'm just so confused because I thought that the best practice is to make sure the cartridges won't be used again (so you and the accidental owners/users of the cartridges won't be banned), and who would do that to pokemon games anyway... Is it safe to do what he does now or is he a complete douche for putting those cartridges on sale?

Last edited by xvinh,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Meta what's @Psionic Roshambo onlyfans password