• Replies 53,774
  • Likes 43

decreech

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In the scheme of things the price I find the price difference between the two inconsequential.
Sysnand is the factory firmware, emunand is a copy that runs off the mSD card and allows you to update it to later versions for features and compatibility while maintaining sysnand for the exploit. While technically emunand is not required there is little reason not to use it. Currently it can be up to 9.5 on the n3DS. A feature of gateway, firmware spoofing, allows games to run on lower firmwares. 9.6 introduced new encryption that has not been broken yet, but is not a problem currently for games and will likely not be for some time. This is a small concern but a real one for the future. Gateway has always come through in the past and that is the most anyone can say about it. Neither card is risk free or absolutely future proof. So far the mouse has always won, but the cat may sooner or later. :)

You can easily upgrade emunand to 9.4 with a rom or 9.5 with a few online methods. All current games will run even on Emunand 9.0 currently with the spoofing, although higher is needed for amiibo support. "Classic mode" allows you to run retail carts without updating sysnand.

Gateway is the far better choice if you have an exploitable firmware like you do. The chips on Sky are not updatable so if Ninty blocks it, game over for future fw updates. Yes you can always revert to the original state.

Currently there is a recycled exploit that goes by many names such as Mset and DS profile that allows you to enter the exploit without any carts other than the gateway once set up. Although playing DS mode games as an kick you out and require cubic ninja or Oot to get you back in. You travel so a small case with a few card slots would come in handy so you are never caught with your pants down. They cost about $10

Thank you very much for your quick and detailled answer! I appreciate that.

So, if I want to play games offline, it shouldn't matter if I'm on emuNAND 9.5, right?
What if I want to play online?

I own a game that wants to update to 9.5, can I use that to update my emuNAND?

blindseer

Past Generation Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

So, if I want to play games offline, it shouldn't matter if I'm on emuNAND 9.5, right?

Really at this point there is no reason to even update emunand, since you have cubic ninja you can use the ntr cfw to spoof your firmware to get to the eshop, the only problem is that some new games require 9.7 on n3ds, but since it isn't out on the n3ds not much you can do about that.

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

What game is that? I haven't been keeping up apparently. I am not completely sure you can use a retail cart to update emunand. Would have to boot into classic mode. Without confirmation It is safe I would use a rom.

The fw does not need to be updated to play online but the games need to have their latest patches installed.

fangedup

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think you can get the browser with 3DNUS. There is a thread regarding J 8.1 systems that should not be to many days back that you can look into.

I am on 9.2, and I do not own Gateway or any flash cart. I was simply hoping to access the browser for browser exploits. How could I use 3DNUS to update my browser? I'm only finding things that tell me to get a Gateway card.

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am on 9.2, and I do not own Gateway or any flash cart. I was simply hoping to access the browser for browser exploits. How could I use 3DNUS to update my browser? I'm only finding things that tell me to get a Gateway card.

In that case you are probably better off asking in the home brew or rom hacking subs rather than the flashcart sub.

Killer Phantom

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a question... hopefully someone can answer it.

Can Flipnote Studio 3D be run on firmware 9.2U? Same goes for Club Nintendo Picross and Nikki no Tabisuru Quiz on Firmware 9.2J. I have their codes and I'm curious if I'm able to run it on Sysnand.

TidusWulf

Real Aloha
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a question... hopefully someone can answer it.

Can Flipnote Studio 3D be run on firmware 9.2U? Same goes for Club Nintendo Picross and Nikki no Tabisuru Quiz on Firmware 9.2J. I have their codes and I'm curious if I'm able to run it on Sysnand.

For Flipnote Studio, Yes. According to http://3ds.essh.co/, the minimum firmware is 7.2. I didn't check the others. You'll have to do that yourself. Same website. just search my title and scroll to the right.

WarioBalotelli

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The "System Settings DS Profile method" is an alternate entry point to the launcher. You might have seen it go by the names "mset", "NVRAM profile", or a couple other things. You mentioned swapping cartridges, so I'm assuming you are using a New 3DS and using Zelda or Cubic Ninja to enter the launcher currently. If you have followed all the steps correctly, then you should be able to boot into Gateway Mode by selecting System Settings > Profile > Nintendo DS Profile. If the red card is in, you'll automatically boot into emuNand in Gateway Mode. You can still bring up the menu by holding L when selecting "Nintendo DS Profile" if you need to, without taking out the red card.

Thx for the info Typhin,

Ok i have already taken the steps to install the NVRAM thing called MSET for my regional console which is EUR. When i load the DS profile nothing happens...the red card is in but i stay in SYSNAND...I try that with the L button right away.

Typhin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thx for the info Typhin,

Ok i have already taken the steps to install the NVRAM thing called MSET for my regional console which is EUR. When i load the DS profile nothing happens...the red card is in but i stay in SYSNAND...I try that with the L button right away.
If nothing is happening, then there seems to be a missing step.

Expected behavior: Selecting System Settings > Profile > Nintendo DS Profile causes the system to boot into emuNand. (Screen goes black, Gateway screen appears, system reboots into emuNand.) If the red card is not inserted, or the L button is being held down, the Gateway Launcher menu will appear instead. If emuNand has not been set up, sysNand will be launched in Gateway Mode.

Observed behavior: Selecting System Settings > Profile > Nintendo DS Profile causes nothing to happen. I take this to mean it brings up the normal Nintendo DS Profile settings (nickname, birthday, etc)?

You said "NVRAM thing called MSET", but these are two different things to be installed. One is mset.cia, the other is the NVRAM profile. The mset.cia file must be installed using DevMenu and be installed into your sysNand. The NVRAM Profile can be installed via the Gateway launcher, or through GW_INSTALLER.nds on the blue card (though you will need to install bluecardfix.cia as well in order to use the blue card). It sounds like you have installed mset.cia, but not installed the NVRAM profile. Another possibility is that you might have installed mset.cia into your emuNand, which would also cause it to not work correctly.

Killer Phantom

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For Flipnote Studio, Yes. According to http://3ds.essh.co/, the minimum firmware is 7.2. I didn't check the others. You'll have to do that yourself. Same website. just search my title and scroll to the right.

I found Club Nintendo Picross firmware requirement (5.0.0J for normal version, 7.0.0J for plus version).

I've tried Nikki no Tabisuru Quiz and it results in 3DS logo loop. I guess it wasn't meant to run on 9.2... well, sucks. At least I can play it on EmuNAND.:hateit:

Thanks anyway.

Eon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Is it possible to go online with Gateway ROMs, without having a unique header (assuming you don't want to get banned)? Is it possible to generate a unique header, or use a friend's if that friend does not go online? I misplaced a couple cartridges :/

Reactions: Margen67

Lolidolly

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Does visiting the miiverse ninja download updates? Today I hit miiverse instead of my browser. I automatically closed out of it, never entered an ID or anything. And now my browser tools for dumping saves won't work. (As it requires a older firmware) There doesn't appear to be changes in the system menu. Is this reversible?

Gelbird

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have put a bunch of files in a folder in emunand when I turnoff my console and enter emunand again all the files are out with the folders still there (still happening). I also encountered(which went away eventually)2 blank spots(the same spots) that kept kicking out games a space over Everytime I rebooted.

Also using a flash cart in emunand will only cause my profile exploit to go away? Once I reinstall the exploit, my cias and save data will still be there? Do I have to play ds games in sysand and have to reinstall profile exploit Everytime?

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have put a bunch of files in a folder in emunand when I turnoff my console and enter emunand again all the files are out with the folders still there (still happening). I also encountered(which went away eventually)2 blank spots(the same spots) that kept kicking out games a space over Everytime I rebooted.

Also using a flash cart in emunand will only cause my profile exploit to go away? Once I reinstall the exploit, my cias and save data will still be there? Do I have to play ds games in sysand and have to reinstall profile exploit Everytime?
You provided us with lots of problems and questions but provided no information on your current set up in order for anyone to help you.

Reactions: Gelbird

Typhin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible to go online with Gateway ROMs, without having a unique header (assuming you don't want to get banned)? Is it possible to generate a unique header, or use a friend's if that friend does not go online? I misplaced a couple cartridges :/
I believe I read elsewhere on the forum that trying to make up a card ID doesn't work. In that case, Nintendo has a method they use to generate card IDs that isn't known, and can tell if an ID is "real" or not. However, there isn't anything known that links a given card ID to a specific title, so you only need a single private header which you can then apply to all your games.

Does visiting the miiverse ninja download updates? Today I hit miiverse instead of my browser. I automatically closed out of it, never entered an ID or anything. And now my browser tools for dumping saves won't work. (As it requires a older firmware) There doesn't appear to be changes in the system menu. Is this reversible?
To my knowledge, you must confirm any system updates, including updates to the browser. If you can still run DevMenu/BigBlueMenu, you should be able to reinstall the browser version you used before, though. If not, then I don't know enough to be able to help you, unfortunately.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean with this post. When you say "the files are out with the folders still there", I'm assuming you mean that you are referring to icons on the Home Screen, and that they are being moved to the main screen instead of staying in the folders. It sounds like your sysNand and emuNand might still be linked, which would cause them to be using the same files, including the same information on Home Screen layouts. If you could post more information about your setup (sysNand/emuNand versions, old 3DS vs New 3DS vs 2DS, what steps you have and haven't taken yet, etc), we might be able to help more.

As for the NVRAM Profile exploit, yes, that is the only thing removed when running DS mode software (which includes flash cards, retail cards, and DSiWare downloaded/installed onto the system). All saves, CIAs, and everything else will still be present. Use sysNand to run your DS flash card, and then reinstall the NVRAM Profile when you are finished. Some people have gotten theirs to "stick", but haven't narrowed down exactly what causes it to stick for some but not others.

Reactions: Gelbird

vtiger5

Trophies
XP
Country
Question about using sky3ds's DiskWriter, do I have to get a microSD to USB adapter? they mentioned not to use an SD adapter in the guide, but I feel it it should of been explained a bit more:
make sure to use a USB adapter (not a SD adapter) with your microSD card
Does this really mean I have to go ahead and spend 10-15€ for a microSD to USB reader, when I have a regular SD to usb reader and a laptop with a built in SD reader?

EDIT: Just a thought but could I use my android?

bbk6566

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Total noob here, Can someone ELI5 me the difference between buying a sky3ds and the actual game? Such as online capabilities and the risks of playing a game on sky 3ds as opposed to buying the game?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
    Karma177 @ Karma177: @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really...