• Likes 43

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
How Do I Format my SD card back to its original size
its a 2gb but now its 939 mb because I formatted it for the emunand

Try SD Formatter. If that doesn't work, use a disk management program.
Duo8: So if Nintendo blocks GW from eShop we'll be unable to get these (or future) game-updates?
Yes. Unless GW come up with something.

Rocc0

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
So as it seems, all the current 3DS flashcards implement the weakness found in 1.4.5 firmware, correct? And now there is a possibility that someone has figured out a similar way to exploit the 6.3 firmware, correct?

I'd just like to ask what experts think (or just people with a lot of knowledge about hacking consoles i guess), do you think in the next, like 5 years, we will see a flashcard on 3DS that works similarly to previous DS flashcards? I mean that they don't necessarily need some specific firmware version with an exploit, but can sort of spoof the console into thinking it's just some random game and load? I really have no idea how this stuff works, which is why I ask here. :D

Scoobydoo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
blubbermetal said:
How Do I Format my SD card back to its original size​
its a 2gb but now its 939 mb because I formatted it for the emunand​
Duo8 said:
Try SD Formatter. If that doesn't work, use a disk management program.

Yes, SD Formatter on Full Overwrite & Size Adjustment ON, worked for me.

Cunhas

Trophies
XP
Country
Hello to all gateway members. I need some help here. I have a 3ds in version 4.5 and i was using the beta version on my gateway card. The new version just camed out and i updated for the new version. I made everything well done and everything was running perfectly. I was able of playing multirom etc. Then i went to gateway mode and i thought that i could erase the sd card to have the new version backed up and i perform a emunand format and when i try to backup it said that the card was full and formatted it with format wizzard the gateway partition and the normal partition. Right now the 3ds on real nand is saying that cant find the sd card and cant find the programs and i dont know what to do. I have tryed to flash with blue card again but anything happened. I dont have my emunand backup file and i dont know what to do. I think i bricked my 3ds. If anyone could help me please tell me what to do. Best regards

mainframe004

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Do we need to update the exploit via the blue Gateway card if we want to use 2.1, or do we just need to update the Launcher.dat file like with the 2.0 beta?

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've updated my system to 4.5, set up emunand & updated that to latest 7.x.
Trying the eshop, I added my Club Nintendo account, and now it wants me to make a NNID to be able to access free stuff. Is there a downside to making/linking an NNID? Cheers.

SirByte

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thought I'd post this in the n00b section so I won't get the "code it urself" type reactions.

Given a 4.1 - 4.5 firmware 3DS XL and a Gateway-type 3DS flashcart, and inspired by the way e.g. PRO CFW creatively uses Sony's own firmware installer on the PSP;

1. since we can dump retail cartridges, the update section should be dumpable too. Would it technically be possible to run the update from a dump on the Gateway or SD (for instance to update a 4.1 to 4.5 on the actual NAND)?

2. Can this be done in a controlled manner during the flash, e.g. to insert certain modified files on the fly or if not, after the flash completes, then modify files that were flashed to the NAND before reboot?

3. If not NAND, how about EmuNAND? Can at any time (parts of) the EmuNAND be transferred back to NAND (the idea being to EmuNAND your 4.x, apply patches, move it to NAND)?

The reason I'm asking is to gauge the level of technical difficulty of a "permanent" customized firmware, initially for 4.x kernel-exploitable 3DSes, that use the GW/MT/etc. to gain initial access.

PS - why bother with a CFW when you already have GW? It's a more elegant solution and -when opened up- should allow for more widespread development (since the Genie is already out the bottle)

Reactions: dubbz82

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like the idea of patching nintendo's own stuff and effectively running slightly modified official firmware, this is also how the ps3 works (at least on a high level, there's obviously more to it than just that...) as for why bother with CFW, in theory it could allow us with for example, a more or less exact replica of 7.xx firmware, with the exception of the exploit still being usable....in a perfect world, the exploit would be permanently installed, or at very least, reinstalled upon every system bootup. If this could happen, it would allow people to 1. play games with higher firmware requirements, and 2. depending on what nintendo checks for (or doesn't) could potentially offer the possibility of online play with at least retail carts. At this point anyways, a CFW wouldn't really offer any rom loading, as no one's been able to sort out how to do that, but could potentially be built in if/when that gets worked out as well, and would effectively kill the need for GW and the other carts to even exist, short of if someone prefers to playing them off that cart as opposed to off the internal SD card for whatever reason.

As for answers to your questions you asked, here we go

1. Dumping it is possible, however the rom would have to be decrypted to pull apart what's in the update section (I think, anyways)

2.This would require not only decryption, but also some sort of thing to inject it into the real NAND, as the updates get loaded from NAND, not from the SD card.

3.Maybe? (and this would probably be better too, as it's recoverable if you manage to botch your emuNAND, you just wipe it and start over, i think) Once again this would need some sort of injector to do so.

Reactions: SirByte

zb123

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Does the Data Management bug still exist in GW2.1? I remember people were saying at one point that entering Data Management via SysNAND erased all Data management content from EmuNAND.

klim28

Hunter4Life
Trophies
XP
Country
Noob question. Gateway is coming in a few days. Tried reading on some stuffs. What is this emunand thing? Should I mess with this or I'm good even without this? I have no idea what this is.

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Noob question. Gateway is coming in a few days. Tried reading on some stuffs. What is this emunand thing? Should I mess with this or I'm good even without this? I have no idea what this is.

You'll need it if you want 7.x features (includes eShop).

bkifft

avowed Cuthwaldian
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Does the Data Management bug still exist in GW2.1? I remember people were saying at one point that entering Data Management via SysNAND erased all Data management content from EmuNAND.

It will erase the data from the SD FAT partition for which it can't find the required tickets (aka. "You are allowed to have these games installed." permits) in the currently active NAND. The content inside the emuNAND partition remains untouched (but you will still have to redownload from the eshop). And it's not a bug, it's intended behavior (go Ninty!).

emuNAND is kinda an alternative boot partition which allows you to run the current 3DS firmware while keeping the base system in the exploitable 4.1-4.5 range.

In short you will only need it if you want to play retail cartridges or use online features (just bear in mind: no online for roms yet) like using the eshop (demos, updates, digital purchases).

klim28

Hunter4Life
Trophies
XP
Country
It will erase the data from the SD FAT partition for which it can't find the required tickets (aka. "You are allowed to have these games installed." permits) in the currently active NAND. The content inside the emuNAND partition remains untouched (but you will still have to redownload from the eshop). And it's not a bug, it's intended behavior (go Ninty!).

emuNAND is kinda an alternative boot partition which allows you to run the current 3DS firmware while keeping the base system in the exploitable 4.1-4.5 range.

In short you will only need it if you want to play retail cartridges or use online features (just bear in mind: no online for roms yet) like using the eshop (demos, updates, digital purchases).

So its like a spoof? My 4.1 3DS is like spoofing 7.1fw so it can connect to online/eshop and run newly released cart games. Need to read more on this emunand. Thanks

Follow-up question : What if I don't want these online features, can I skip all these emunand things o this is vital? Sorry on my silly questions.

bkifft

avowed Cuthwaldian
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
So its like a spoof? My 4.1 3DS is like spoofing 7.1fw so it can connect to online/eshop and run newly released cart games. Need to read more on this emunand. Thanks

Follow-up question : What if I don't want these online features, can I skip all these emunand things o this is vital? Sorry on my silly questions.

It's more than a spoof, its a 1:1 copy of the system partition (which takes up about 1GiB on the SD card) which one can update afterwards and behaves just like the sysNAND (the real system partition inside the 3DS). Think of it like installing Windows 8 on an extra partition instead of updating your old Windows install (difference on the 3DS is just that you don't choose which version to start at boot time, but will load the sysNAND first and the emuNAND afterwards).

Only drawbacks of emuNAND:
a) takes up 1GB on the SD card (shouldn't be that big a problem as 8GB cards are getting cheaper by the minute and 7GB-ish should still be quite enough)
b) If one doesn't take care while updating emuNAND one could update the sysNAND by accident, thus rendering the 3DS unexploitable (until one restores a NAND backup of the specific 3DS which requires a hardware interface). (Some even claim they updated their sysNAND while following the instructions to the letter, but hasn't happened to anyone I trust yet).

If you don't intend to use online features (which btw. also include Street-/Homepass (exchanging game related stuff with random people)) you can skip emuNAND.

edit: there are also some gameupdates on the eshop (e.g. for pokemon or mario&luigi dreamteam) and at least the pokemon updates fix a gamebreaking bug, so if you want to play those: go emuNAND.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo