• Replies 53,793
  • Likes 43

Avalynn

I'm here to learn and help.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright some answers that I hope will help you!
So I was gonna make a new thread but I decided I'd give the noon paradise a try... My question is ... Since you can only have one ROM on your gateway card is there some sort of application for an android phone like windows disk imager 32 so that I can write a game to an SD card from my phone? Thanks for the reply in advance

I have heard of such an app but have not used on due to my Nexus 10 being SD cardless without a cardread and OTG cable but, I did come across this thread.
[APP] GatewayFlash
"GatewayFlash is an app I've written for rooted Android devices. It allows you to flash new ROMs onto your microSD card straight from your phone/tablet. Convenient if you don't want to carry around tons of microSD cards for all your games!"

So, to summrarize:
Hardware mod dump 4.4.0 NAND -> update to latest System Menu and dump NAND again.
Switch between NAND images for different use cases. Possible?
Unbrick using Arduino/Raspi. Possible?

Yes it is possible, I have done that and even used the emuNAND and flashed it to my real NAND to play pokemon X/Y online. It's possible to switch images for now (who knows what the future holds). The dumps only work for that particular 3DS due to per console encryption and I recommend taking more then one dump of your original at different points in time, kinda paranoia but better safe then sorry. I have gone from 2.2.0 -> 4.5.0 -> 7.1.0 then back to 2.2.0 works just fine.

Check this lovely thread for unbricking 3DS unbricking progress so far the raspberry pi seems to work well by all accounted test of it, thank you bkifft.

san_pedro

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks Avalynn, very helpful.
I've skipped through the unbricking thread for a bit already. The solution using the Pi's SD slot is pretty ingenious. Luckily I have one!

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Most of this may be very obvious, however the FAQ is not always 100% conclusive about this so I'd just like to make sure. Thanks in advance.
I wrote the FAQ on wiki with a lot of things I thought at that time, but it's missing a lot of things now.
If users have questions and answers they think should be on the FAQ, please add it.

Everything on the brick issue is missing from the FAQ. It could be interested to add some information about it.

I think adding the "how to use Spotpass/Homepass" to the FAQ is a good idea too.
You need 7.x, and 2.0bx
You don't need 2.0b2 to update nor even use this feature. 2.0b2 is needed only if you want to access the settings in 7.x

Elusivo

Shinobu Molester
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
You can try that. I think that not many persons have tested the save transfer app yet. But MT's EmuNAND is compatible with 3DS Link's.
hmmm, ok, i used mtcard emunand, got the transfer app installed.

Put 3dslink 3.0 launcher in but when I try to launch the emunand all I get is is the screens with horizontal lines and it just stays there, I waited for a few minutes and nothing.

Putting mtcard launcher back emunand launches fine, so for me mtcard's emunand doesn't work with 3dslink 3.0... any ideas?

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
hmmm, ok, i used mtcard emunand, got the transfer app installed.

Put 3dslink 3.0 launcher in but when I try to launch the emunand all I get is is the screens with horizontal lines and it just stays there, I waited for a few minutes and nothing.

Putting mtcard launcher back emunand launches fine, so for me mtcard's emunand doesn't work with 3dslink 3.0... any ideas?
Try to launch the 3dslink 3.0 launcher at least 20 times. There is a bug that it doesn't get triggered every time you enter EmuNAND.

Elusivo

Shinobu Molester
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
... I think I gonna give up... already tried some 30 times, sometimes it freezes on the screens with the lines, other times it does pass the lines in just some 3secs but it ends up not loading emunand, so it doesn't work either way...
I created the emunand with mtcard, maybe I should try creating it with 3dslink 3.0 instead and then use mtcard launcher to get the transfer app, would that work?

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
... I think I gonna give up... already tried some 30 times, sometimes it freezes on the screens with the lines, other times it does pass the lines in just some 3secs but it ends up not loading emunand, so it doesn't work either way...
I created the emunand with mtcard, maybe I should try creating it with 3dslink 3.0 instead and then use mtcard launcher to get the transfer app, would that work?
Just try it ;)

Shinitai

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
I just wat to get this straight: homepass doesn't work with firmware 4.1-4.5, be it emu or real NAND, does it?
Can I get it to work with the latest firmware (7.1 something at the moment) on EmuNAND with Gateway 2.0b1? I've been trying but had no luck so far.

Edit: Also, I was able to watch a video on the Nintendo Zone. Does that mean my homepass setup is working?
Aight, I can answer my own questions now.
Pretty sure homepass doesn't work with firmware 4.1-4.5, EmuNAND or not, but it does work in EmuNAND 7.1 with Gateway 2.0b1.
And lastly no, being able to watch a video on the Nintendo Zone is no indication that homepass is working. It seems you can simply do it as long as your 3DS is connected to a wifi with the ESSID "attwifi" (among others, probably).

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Aight, I can answer my own questions now.
Pretty sure homepass doesn't work with firmware 4.1-4.5, EmuNAND or not, but it does work in EmuNAND 7.1 with Gateway 2.0b1.
And lastly no, being able to watch a video on the Nintendo Zone is no indication that homepass is working. It seems you can simply do it as long as your 3DS is connected to a wifi with the ESSID "attwifi" (among others, probably).
streetpass relay wasnt added till 6.2

The latest firmware update for the 3DS is available, bringing new StreetPass functionality along with it. 3DS owners with firmware version 6.2.0-xU or higher will now be able to access StreetPass data from other users that previously passed by Nintendo Zone locations.

that's how home pass functions, so you need emunand to use home pass, but older version still had nintendo zone

lambstone

No. Nyet. 不. Non. Nein.
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
(3ds general related questions)

So street pass relay is only a US 3ds feature right? European sets can't take advantage of say... homepass?

(gateway related questions)

For gateway I know that you can't get online play for roms but local multi player and also with different regions?

Also download play using roms how would that work? Is it region locked too?

Street passing with roms work?

Shinitai

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay

So street pass relay is only a US 3ds feature right? European sets can't take advantage of say... homepass?

For gateway I know that you can't get online play for roms but local multi player and also with different regions?

I'm pretty sure street pass relays work regardless of the region, as well as homepass. I might be wrong though.
Gateway supports local multiplayer, but I don't know if it works with different regions.
Don't know about download play.
StreetPass works with roms.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP

Yeah streetpass relay works in all regions, I just copied that text off a site, sorry for the confusion XD

But yeah I used homepages on my (E) console

RocketRon

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.guru.de
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hi all,

i'm a completly noob but have some questions about this topic.
I've ordered a new 3ds 4.5 with the gw carts. I have read a lot of information here on the topics but im afraid to install the newest beta on my 3ds because of the chance of bricking.

I thinking to wait for a couple of weeks/months till the final relase of 2.0 or i doubt to put on 1.2 which is stable for what i read. My question: How do i upgrade to later fw's? So when i have 1.2 and want to update to 2.0 final, what steps do i have to take? Or is it impossible to upgrade the 3ds after your first install?

Chris230291

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello, I'm a noob.
I just got myself a 3DS XL. The firmware version is 5.1.0-9E.
I want to get one of those SD cartridges so I can download games, but I have no idea which to get.
I want one that can play 3DS games as I read that most only support regular DS games.
Which one would be the one to get?

Thanks,
Chris.

daicon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, I'm a noob.
I just got myself a 3DS XL. The firmware version is 5.1.0-9E.
I want to get one of those SD cartridges so I can download games, but I have no idea which to get.
I want one that can play 3DS games as I read that most only support regular DS games.
Which one would be the one to get?

Thanks,
Chris.
You can't play 3DS games on a flashcart: Your firmware is too high. It needs to be below 4.5 for it to be possible. Certain DS mode flashcarts still work though.

There is currently no known way to downgrade..

Chris230291

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
You can't play 3DS games on a flashcart: Your firmware is too high. It needs to be below 4.5 for it to be possible. Certain DS mode flashcarts still work though.

There is currently no known way to downgrade..

Thanks for the reply.
Ok, that's unfortunate.
I read that some cards are upgradable. Would it be unwise to buy one that is and hope that an update rolls out for it?
Any rumours of updates coming any time soon?

Chris.

daicon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply.
Ok, that's unfortunate.
I read that some cards are upgradable. Would it be unwise to buy one that is and hope that an update rolls out for it?
Any rumours of updates coming any time soon?

Chris.
Alot of cards get firmware updates that add functions and let you play newer games.. but there's no rumors I know about that will let them work above firmware 4.5.. Gateway says they're looking into maybe finding an exploit for firmwares below 6.3 or something, but they don't expect to find anything for 7 and above because Nintendo has the cards in their possession now. Either way, it's a BIG if, and no one is the wiser on if or when a new exploit will be discovered.

Either way it doesn't look too promising, so you can either return it and try to find one below 4.5 firmware (many still out and about) or just go legit and get a DS only mode flashcart for DS homebrew and backups.

Loke

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hi i got a small question.

I want to install monster hunter 3 soon but i've read the minimum firmware needed is 4.4. I have a 4.2 with Gw1.2, do i really need to update my firmware with a retailcard?

(I got this question since people said emunand wasn't needed for playing games with gateway and i read posts that bravely default also works with GW1.2 (And bravely is a 6.2 game))

Chris230291

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Alot of cards get firmware updates that add functions and let you play newer games.. but there's no rumors I know about that will let them work above firmware 4.5.. Gateway says they're looking into maybe finding an exploit for firmwares below 6.3 or something, but they don't expect to find anything for 7 and above because Nintendo has the cards in their possession now. Either way, it's a BIG if, and no one is the wiser on if or when a new exploit will be discovered.

Either way it doesn't look too promising, so you can either return it and try to find one below 4.5 firmware (many still out and about) or just go legit and get a DS only mode flashcart for DS homebrew and backups.

Ok so I should just get a cheap DS, 3DS compatible card, and if I have to, just buy a new card if and when 3DS games are supported on higher firmwares?
Buying another 3DS isn't really an option, the one I have I only got because it was ridiculously cheap. I might look into buying another main board which has lower firmware, if one comes about.

Could you recommend a cheap card that I can use on my 3DS to play DS games?

Thanks for your help,
Chris.

Avalynn

I'm here to learn and help.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so I should just get a cheap DS, 3DS compatible card, and if I have to, just buy a new card if and when 3DS games are supported on higher firmwares?
Buying another 3DS isn't really an option, the one I have I only got because it was ridiculously cheap. I might look into buying another main board which has lower firmware, if one comes about.

Could you recommend a cheap card that I can use on my 3DS to play DS games?

Thanks for your help,
Chris.

If you are looking to play DS games on a 3DS or DS and want inexpensive look for a genuine r4i 3ds, or spend a little more on Supercard DSTwo. You should be able to get a mainboard with a lower firmware for a decent price if you shop around.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: After watching, that I feel like I'm on them already