Hardware 3DS New System or Next DS Revision?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its already been confirmed that it is the successor to the DS line.

There is nothing else to say.

Wintrale

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, it's definitely new.

Their exact wording was "Nintendo 3DS is going to be the new portable game machine to succeed the Nintendo DS series [...] and will include backward compatibility so that the software for the Nintendo DS series, and Nintendo DSi, can be enjoyed".

Arwen20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The letter stated the unit would be backwards compatible with the ds and dsi. Based on this statement it appears to be an entirely new sytem.

Twiffles

танковые победы
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Pushing in the last few centimeters of the last nail into the coffin of the GBA. So sad.
frown.gif

fgghjjkll

GBATemp MegaMan
Trophies
XP
I don't think the Game Boy series would be done so quick. Even nowadays people refer the Nintendo DS/i as a Game Boy DS/i

iceissocold

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am disappointed in Nintendo now. When the DSi came out I was under the impression that we were getting DSi exclusive games, not just DSi enchanced or DSiWare crap. I had just bought a DSi a month ago, now if I were to sell it ill at most get half of what I paid for.

I have been a Nintendo fanboy since the days of the NES, but now I am turning my attention to other companies because at least they don't empty my wallet.

D

Deleted_171835

fgghjjkll said:
I don't think the Game Boy series would be done so quick. Even nowadays people refer the Nintendo DS/i as a Game Boy DS/i
Heh. I only hear old people calling the DS a Gameboy. Most of the other people I know call it by it's regular name.

Hadrian

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
iceissocold said:
I am disappointed in Nintendo now. When the DSi came out I was under the impression that we were getting DSi exclusive games, not just DSi enchanced or DSiWare crap. I had just bought a DSi a month ago, now if I were to sell it ill at most get half of what I paid for.
Well that is purely your fault. Nintendo never gave that impression to me, they never said that there will be DSi only games, they never claimed that it would be a all new console.

D

Deleted_171835

Hadriano said:
iceissocold said:
Well that is purely your fault. Nintendo never gave that impression to me, they never said that there will be DSi only games, they never claimed that it would be a all new console.
They actually did suggest that there would be DSi only games.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
SoulSnatcher said:
fgghjjkll said:
Heh. I only hear old people calling the DS a Gameboy. Most of the other people I know call it by it's regular name.
Yeah, I hate it when people do that. A bit like when people say "Nintendo Wii", when it's actually only trademarked as "Wii".

Livin in a box

Livin' in a cardboard box
Trophies
XP
Country
DSi only games=DSiWare, no?

I'm actually looking forward to this. I hope it includes GBA compatibility too by downloading via a 3DS Shop. Would be so cool.

Plus, more internal memory- like 16GB or something more.

AND GC graphics, THEN it'll be a true 8th gen system. But there'll be a new PSP too (3D also?) so...who knows?

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Livin in a box said:
DSi only games=DSiWare, no?

I'm actually looking forward to this. I hope it includes GBA compatibility too by downloading via a 3DS Shop. Would be so cool.

Plus, more internal memory- like 16GB or something more.

AND GC graphics, THEN it'll be a true 8th gen system. But there'll be a new PSP too (3D also?) so...who knows?
Not quite. Yes, DSiWare only works on DSi, but there are a very small number of game cards only for DSi.

iceissocold

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hadriano said:
iceissocold said:
I take the blame, but now Nintendo is just popping out new revisions like no tomorrow. I had hoped that with the removal of the Slot 2 and the twice the speed of the older NDS and NDSL, we would see something on the Shopping Channel like classic Gameboy and Gameboy Color titles. If they brought the Oracle Series and a Virtual Handheld thing I would not be dissapointed at all.

I might buy a 3DS but it will not come close to being a launch purchase. I'll wait a year or two expecting some sort of revision to out date the previous.

Hadrian

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SoulSnatcher said:
Hadriano said:
iceissocold said:

They actually did suggest that there would be DSi only games.
Nope go read it again, only mentions DSi ENHANCED games, not DSi only.

The only part that hints that is:

Kuwahara also hinted at games that were designed specifically the Nintendo DSi, indicating that they would not be playable on the original Nintendo DS or DS Lite.

And yet no quotes on the article or source to the apparent "hint".

Anyway best to close this thread seeing that we're just spouting the same stuff that is being said elsewhere and that the original question was answered with the very first announcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/ZQhiwti-pK0?si=LTqU_S8Xm2fYnlQg