Hacking 3DS may spell end to Ninty's piracy woes.

heavyknight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@ other page piracy quarreling - a job will do nothing if the cost of games and the console(s) are/is high. Sure they may be able to get it over time, but that also leads to one less job for someone else. What good will that do? All you did was let one 16 year old get a job. What about the 16 year old who can't get the job because it's now taken? Going to backfire that with 'get a different job'? Sure thing. Sure the economy is getting better, but what good is that, there are job issues for many, not just the one said 16 year old.

If everyone could get a job that easily, would piracy even be an issue?

Piracy in this example would benefit another person/being. A job for another person who would really need the money. (Which is why people look for jobs in the first place /duh.)

The above are a few pros. Defending? Not really, just being open minded.

Piracy - it hurts and it helps. Does it do one more than the other? Who knows. Any arguments - statistics, want to go get them from the millions of pirates? Stack those and compare with a game's selling chart, etc.

As for the trying before buying... emulators is as far as it goes, but maybe something more official... it'd be a waste of time, but it avoids people buying shovelware. With that, at least it'd show a company's dedication to their customers. Though it wouldn't stop people from hacking said official thing and using it for other reasons. But it makes me wonder a bit, on how much that would affect them. I mean, it's free entertainment for people who don't have/can't afford said console, no one's losing money there because there's no money in the first place. But then there are the cons which are..blah blah blah, etc, etc /whatever.

Besides, they make money either way if the console sells. Games however...depends.

kiafazool

Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
never gonna happen

sony thought "we have made a motherboard/psp3000 that is not going to modded/cfw but then chickhen came out and then cfw came out for chickhen"

nintendo thought "we have released a 1.4 firmware blocking all flashcarts and later a 1.4 update for all dsi flashcarts"

Tux'

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No way will the 3DS prevent piracy, there will always be a flaw, when one door closes, another opens. When the 3DS is released, there will be flashcarts compatible with it soon enough. Piracy is an unstoppable force sadly, I don't think anyone could block piracy, there would eventually be a crack for it one way or another. That's my opinion at least.

MadClaw

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think not being able to pirate will cause sales to drop dramatically, going by the amount of sales the wii has, i think piracy is what makes people buy the console( i wouldn't own a wii or ds if i could not pirate on them). But whatever, good luck ninty.

HeatMan Advance

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm just gonna guess that they will make all these games forced to be activated online. Maybe even be forced to be saved by some sort of cloud system.

I really don't know enough about this from a hackers perspective to even have a valid opinion so feel free to dispel everything I just said. I don't really care either way since I only play PC and DS games anyway. If it becomes Pirate-proof, I'll still buy a 3DS, but I will be just play less games. I only played most of the DS game library because it was free.

gisel213

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Didn't they say the design wasn't final... lemme guess it's gonna be all digital download like pspgo or the games are
gonna be really big like 1gb plus size which makes pirating a hassle when you can only play a few games a time....

Which is similar to hacked psp's where the games are frickin large filling the stick quickly... but more size equals more
anti piracy checks all thru the game now that's a bitch!!!!

amptor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You can't quantify the amount of $ lost to any figure $41 billion etc. The reason is people like me who would buy legit if you can't pirate, I'd own like 10-15 games (I wouldn't be trading them at gamestop either) and in that case too I might pick up a few used ones at game stop and they make $0 profit off of that too.

$41 billion? oh please. they assume that every single game pirated would have been bought and that is a fallacy and flat out lie.

MFDC12

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HeatMan Advance said:
I'm just gonna guess that they will make all these games forced to be activated online. Maybe even be forced to be saved by some sort of cloud system.

hopefully not. drm + handheld = instant death. no one wants to do that. hell, they dont even want to do that on the computer

if there will ever be a flashcart, and that was the case, it would probably autopatch for that anyways, so i doubt that will do anything than just annoy people.

yzak

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BortzANATOR said:
I love how the R4 is the only thing they know.

QUOTE said:
Rampant illegal activity has killed revenues for publishers on the device - driven by the release of re-writable cartridges, particularly the R4 cart, which has been outlawed in Japan.

lol so true

btw is ps3 and xbox 360 extremely hard to crack? ps2 is cracked beyond belief but i have not heard of 360 and ps3 being frequently hacked

gamefreak94

GBAtemps (Un)Official Illogical Poster
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
yzak said:
BortzANATOR said:

QUOTE said:
Rampant illegal activity has killed revenues for publishers on the device - driven by the release of re-writable cartridges, particularly the R4 cart, which has been outlawed in Japan.

lol so true

btw is ps3 and xbox 360 extremely hard to crack? ps2 is cracked beyond belief but i have not heard of 360 and ps3 being frequently hacked
yes it is possible to hack the 360 but if they find you online, they will fuck up your hard drive, even though that is illegal.

On topic: I don't really care if it is uncrackable, i just hope they do the same thing Sony did with PSN so we can try out demos b4 we buy the games.

dan80315

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MadClaw said:
I think not being able to pirate will cause sales to drop dramatically, going by the amount of sales the wii has, i think piracy is what makes people buy the console( i wouldn't own a wii or ds if i could not pirate on them). But whatever, good luck ninty.
Another very good point. I would have never bought my DS if it wasn't pirate-able. A lot of my friends did the same thing because I gave them the idea (oh wow, how'd you get 70 games on your DS/Wii?!?) and they did the same thing and never bought a Nintendo game again.

I do purchase some cartridges once in a while if I'm in love with that game, Poke HG/SS being a prime example.

I scoff at their 40.1 billion or so loss estimate in sales. I'm willing to bet half of those people can't get ahold of a DS and emulate it, never even planning on buying a DS. I was like this, until I was tired of having to be on my PC to play DS games.

Anyway, good luck with that Nintendo.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Related...

US government finally admits most piracy estimates are bogus
QUOTE said:
For years, Business Software Alliance reports on software piracy assumed that each illicit copy was a lost sale. And the MPAA's own commissioned study on movie piracy turned out to overstate collegiate downloading by a factor of three.

Can we trust any of these claims about piracy?

The US doesn't think so. In a new report out yesterday, the government's own internal watchdog took a close look at "efforts to quantify the economic effects of counterfeit and pirated goods." After examining all the data and consulting with numerous experts inside and outside of government, the Government Accountability Office concluded (PDF) that it is "difficult, if not impossible, to quantify the economy-wide impacts."

Prime_Zero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still hope something like the R4/acekard can be made for the 3ds, even if you can't play 3ds roms. Id still like to be able to watch movies listen to music and so on, even if it means we will once more have to lug all our games around as if its 1990.

girugamarc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gamefreak94 said:
yzak said:
BortzANATOR said:

QUOTE said:

lol so true

yes it is possible to hack the 360 but if they find you online, they will fuck up your hard drive, even though that is illegal.
They mess your hard drive up? Since when? I thought they just permaban you.
QUOTE(amptor @ Jul 18 2010, 02:45 AM)
I'll buy it. Idc if you can pirate it or not. If you can pirate a console that means you play less games on it.
Really? Because I pirate, and I can say for certain if the Wii/DS wasn't so easily hackable I'd have a lot less games for it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    Also a food allergy study would be a good idea
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Turns out you can't sprinkle methamphetamine on McDonald's French fries
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    they wouldn't be called french fries at that point
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Probably just meth fries