Hacking 3DS Logging

nPrime2000

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been torn between an AceKard 2i and a SCDSTwo. I'm leaning toward the Acekard.

My question concerns the backlog. How are those cards treated in the log? As Flashcards, as the original DS titles, etc...? Will either cause problems?

Much appreciated.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In the log it shows up as whatever game the flashcart uses to disguise itself. For example, the Supercard DSTWO shows up as the game Alex Rider, so that's what it's logged as.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
Carts tend to show different games icons depending on what firmware version is installed at any given time (as the firmware bypass is directly linked to the game icon).

Right now it's some japanese game.
Dorasu's the name.

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
Playing a specific game for a lot of time doesn't void the warranty. Playing a game for a lot is all Nintendo can accuse you of if you send it in for service or something, because the flashcart disguises itself as a retail game. It has to do this in order for it to run. Also, Nintendo Bricking systems intentionally is illegal.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
machomuu said:
Rydian said:
Carts tend to show different games icons depending on what firmware version is installed at any given time (as the firmware bypass is directly linked to the game icon).

Dorasu's the name.
Dorasu's the publisher, the game's some japanese name I can't read.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
machomuu said:
Rydian said:

Dorasu's the name.
Dorasu's the publisher, the game's some japanese name I can't read.
Crap, Rydian, couldn't you let me have my moment?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
machomuu said:
Crap, Rydian, couldn't you let me have my moment?
I thought it was the name of the game too, until I googled a day ago.
tongue.gif

gbatempfan1

Trophies
XP
Country
Does any body actualy know what is contained in the logfile? Also if anti-piracy in games can detect if they are being played via a flashcart and start making vuvuzela noises, what is to stop the 3ds firmware/os from doing the same and logging it?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
1 - We can't get into the 3DS's internals, we can't look into any of it's files yet.

2 - Games KNOW their own data, so they can read and hold checksums for their own data and do comparisons. The 3DS does NOT know about all the data that's in games that haven't been released yet... and while firmware updates might give it the ability to check for some data (like the DSi did), that's very limited as it's not like you can hold checksums all the data of every 3DS game within the DS itself to do checks on...

gbatempfan1

Trophies
XP
Country
Rydian said:
1 - We can't get into the 3DS's internals, we can't look into any of it's files yet.

2 - Games KNOW their own data, so they can read and hold checksums for their own data and do comparisons. The 3DS does NOT know about all the data that's in games that haven't been released yet... and while firmware updates might give it the ability to check for some data (like the DSi did), that's very limited as it's not like you can hold checksums all the data of every 3DS game within the DS itself to do checks on...

Good to know that AP uses crc checks, I would of thought they would use something more sophisticated such as IO throughput, memory space checks for resident programs, or even partial sequences from the methods the cards use to update their firmware.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Throughput would just test Slot-1, which is easily limited (remember that official carts don't have a MicroSD slot and access to it to homebrew is given through DLDI patching), memory space checks would have to be in the game itself as they vary (and thus would be AP in the game and patchable). and no clue what the last thing means.

gbatempfan1

Trophies
XP
Country
Rydian said:
and no clue what the last thing means.

Really any code that natively runs on the flashcard will only execute if that device is present. I was refering to if firmware is updatable on a ds product, nintendo could create a library from the opcodes native firmware updaters use for hardware checks.. I meant partial because they aren't actualy going to update the firmware on the card, just check to see if something responds. Apoligize for jibberishing of words, getting sleepy.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure on the specifics, somebody might come in and correct me, but as far as I know that's done differently per-cart (and often differently depending on the hardware revision, for example the Acekard 2i's models 44 and 81), so Nintendo would need to do that per-cart, and that could just be bypassed with a firmware update anyways.

gbatempfan1

Trophies
XP
Country
Rydian said:
I'm not sure on the specifics, somebody might come in and correct me, but as far as I know that's done differently per-cart (and often differently depending on the hardware revision, for example the Acekard 2i's models 44 and 81), so Nintendo would need to do that per-cart, and that could just be bypassed with a firmware update anyways.

It wouldn't be easy, but it wouldn't be truly difficult either. Also it wouldn't have to be done for all carts, just the most popular.

nPrime2000

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, this is all a bit too advanced for me at this stage. I haven't coded in years. Acekard 2i on 3ds. Safe? (as safe as one can hope?)

Tiggerlator: Im looking at your sig, and you're rocking a 3ds w/ Acekard? Like it? Acekard what you'd recommend? I was thinking SCDS2, but price, cheap build quality, and a wealth of features I didn't need, plus better compatibility through Acekard and Akaio pushed me toward Acekard 2i.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work