Hacking 3DS Homebrew Channel!

Bobbyloujo

I am a millipede, I am amazing.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Backing up your own games is not a gray area. It is completely legal. That is, if you make the backup yourself from your original copy. Meaning that you can't download a backup even if you do own an original copy. You have to make the backup yourself. And you live in America.

EDIT: Mehhh, there I go saying stupid things again.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Finding and changing text so that it says something is a homebrew channel when it's not is one thing
One thingthe majority of people have not done, thus the excitement.

Backing up your own games is not a gray area. It is completely legal. That is, if you make the backup yourself from your original copy. Meaning that you can't download a backup even if you do own an original copy. You have to make the backup yourself.
Unless you're breaking protection/encryption to do the backup and it doesn't fall under one of these exemptions.
http://www.copyright.gov/1201/2010/Librarian-of-Congress-1201-Statement.html

DMCA sucks.

reaper527

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Backing up your own games is not a gray area. It is completely legal. That is, if you make the backup yourself from your original copy. Meaning that you can't download a backup even if you do own an original copy. You have to make the backup yourself.

of course its a gray area, because it depends on what country you are in. don't forget, our american laws don't apply to everyone on the forums, as the internet is an international place.(al

so, as rydian said, your opinion isn't clear cut legal fact. modern games have protection that has to be circumvented, so if you can't point to an exemption to justify the dumping, you are out of luck as far as legal standing goes.

BrunoAlvesMontei

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Here in Brazil it's not a crime to make and have a backup as long as you got the original one.
It's only classified as a crime when you make profit of it, so for example: if a burn a game DVD but not sell it, i can't be prosecuted.

CollosalPokemon

ばん。。。かい
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Well it is actually a gray area.

Nintendo did not approve of you backing up the game you bought, and much less playing the backup. They *should* allow you to at least create a backup (it's a right to have a backup in case your cart is damaged) but they don't intend for you to. It must to be done through unlicensed hardware/software making it borderlined.

Yes, you have a right to backup your own games that you bought. No, you shouldn't be using unlicensed hardware/software.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
First off, this conversation is likely to get the thread locked :(
Here in Brazil it's not a crime to make and have a backup as long as you got the original one.
It's only classified as a crime when you make profit of it, so for example: if a burn a game DVD but not sell it, i can't be prosecuted.
Interesting, so is it legal to GIVE a copy away? You don't make any money off it that way.
Well it is actually a gray area.

Nintendo did not approve of you backing up the game you bought, and much less playing the backup. They *should* allow you to at least create a backup (it's a right to have a backup in case your cart is damaged) but they don't intend for you to. It must to be done through unlicensed hardware/software making it borderlined.

Yes, you have a right to backup your own games that you bought. No, you shouldn't be using unlicensed hardware/software.
Yeah, it's kinda like when you buy a movie but it has the FBI warning up front that says it's licensed only for home viewing so you can't show it in public places (You have to pay more for that right.) but it just goes to show that they don't really sell it to you with no strings attached. They only sell you certain rights to it.

Edit: another example is my student copy of windows. I'm not allowed to make any money off of it so that's why I was able to buy it cheaper :) .

sightlight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please guys, Lets just stay on topic. Its a hot thread.

There a video were he hacked the DSi successfully. Simulated the NAND with a SDCard. That is beast! And kind of mad he didnt release. I would of bought a DSi XL in the past to load homebrew..DSLinux.. :'(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0ECc_EgFho

synce

だいこんちゃんのだいふぁん
Trophies
XP
Country
Comoros
It's always amusing to see a piracy argument break out. You're always going to have people who spend all their money on videogames and those who can barely pay their rent. People living in countries where a game costs 5% of your paycheck, and countries where it costs 500%. Now about that neimod...

Reactions: Margen67

Chaos Rush

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's always amusing to see a piracy argument break out. You're always going to have people who spend all their money on videogames and those who can barely pay their rent. People living in countries where a game costs 5% of your paycheck, and countries where it costs 500%. Now about that neimod...
If people can't afford games, then how the hell did they afford a DS/DSi/3DS, and a computer to download roms from? This is why I think piracy is stupid. If you can afford a DS or DSi or 3DS, and you can afford a computer, and you can afford an internet connection, then you can afford to actually buy your damn games.

Reactions: 1 person

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

There a video were he hacked the DSi successfully. Simulated the NAND with a SDCard. That is beast! And kind of mad he didnt release. I would of bought a DSi XL in the past to load homebrew..DSLinux.. :'(

Don't get me wrong, it's cool and impressive, but it's not what you think. He couldn't modify the NAND at all. He literally just has an exact copy of it on the SD card and is running it from there instead of NAND. It wouldn't help homebrew at all, all it'd do is give a bit of brick protection. It certainly wouldn't let you run DSLinux on a DSi.

sightlight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Don't get me wrong, it's cool and impressive, but it's not what you think. He couldn't modify the NAND at all. He literally just has an exact copy of it on the SD card and is running it from there instead of NAND. It wouldn't help homebrew at all, all it'd do is give a bit of brick protection. It certainly wouldn't let you run DSLinux on a DSi.

I see,
I have a question, the nand still had protection to not run code since it was the nand address Or it still saw it as SDCard?
could the protection had been written of the FW? or hard hard on the chip? uhmmmmmm!

-------------------------------
Speaking a litle bit about programing(3DS) If I recall, was rayman3d emulated or coded from scratch? It looked like a PS2 version or something.

sychotix

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I see,
I have a question, the nand still had protection to not run code since it was the nand address Or it still saw it as SDCard?
could the protection had been written of the FW? or hard hard on the chip? uhmmmmmm!

Speaking a litle bit about programing(3DS) If I recall, was rayman3d emulated or coded from scratch? It looked like a PS2 version or something.

Not sure if you know what your talking about at all... or just throwing out random technical terms.

Reactions: 1 person

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If people can't afford games, then how the hell did they afford a DS/DSi/3DS, and a computer to download roms from? This is why I think piracy is stupid. If you can afford a DS or DSi or 3DS, and you can afford a computer, and you can afford an internet connection, then you can afford to actually buy your damn games.

No, I'm sorry, but that logic is complete bullshit. "If people can't afford games, then how the hell did they afford a DS/DSi/3DS, and a computer to download roms from?" Just because someone can't afford something at one point in time doesn't mean they NEVER will be able to. "If you can afford a DS or DSi or 3DS, and you can afford a computer, and you can afford an internet connection, then you can afford to actually buy your damn games" No, not exactly true, especially when you're not making much over minimum wage, you're a full time student, you have your own bills to pay, have to put gas in a car, among other responsibilities. Life happens, man, and people come on tough times on a daily basis. When buying four games costs as much as the console did that you play them on, you can see how they get pretty pricey, pretty fast. If you don't like piracy, good for you, but don't try to preach to everyone else (especially on a forum that is more or less centered around the topic) how bad it is. I'm still living with my parents, and last year I had enough money to be fairly comfortable with what they were providing. But since then, my car insurance has gone up, I've had to pay more out of pocket for my own tuition, my cell phone bill has gone up (data package), needed a new phone, parts needed (and still need) replacing on my car, needed a new tire/needed a tire repaired, and gas is currently at $3.75/gal here in Toms River, NJ, all this while working for $8.68/hr on roughly 26 hours a week. Try telling me I can still afford to buy any video game I want when I've had to empty my savings alone just to pay for college. Having already had a DSTWO, I bought a few 3DS games when they were on sale, and downloaded all the DS games I wanted and used my DSTWO for that.

He didn't hack it. If you see everything on the bottom, he more or less wired an SD reader to where the NAND should be on the DSi mobo and put an interpreter in the middle to make it direct all of the right data to the right places. Nothing got hacked, it got modified. The SD card should still be holding an exact image of the NAND, encrypted and all.

I see,

I don't even know what you're trying to say... but the DSi didn't see it as an SD card, he replaced the NAND chip with an SD reader and an interpreter (I know interpreter likely isn't the correct terminology here, but it makes sense at least). The DSi had no knowledge that it was modified. The protection is written into the software itself as encryption.

Afaik Rayman3D was a completely different game. Plus, you can't simply emulate it and get 3D out of it.

Reactions: Margen67

TheZander

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dude, my English is not that fluent. My apologies.
Sorry wasnt trying to rag on your english because it didn't have anything to do with what i said it just so happened every line you wrote began with "I" so I quoted you and made a little comment with absolutely no intention on questioning your english skillz

sightlight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

No, I'm sorry, but that logic is complete bullshit. "If people can't afford games, then how the hell did they afford a DS/DSi/3DS, and a computer to download roms from?" Just because someone can't afford something at one point in time doesn't mean they NEVER will be able to. "If you can afford a DS or DSi or 3DS, and you can afford a computer, and you can afford an internet connection, then you can afford to actually buy your damn games" No, not exactly true, especially when you're not making much over minimum wage, you're a full time student, you have your own bills to pay, have to put gas in a car, among other responsibilities. Life happens, man, and people come on tough times on a daily basis. When buying four games costs as much as the console did that you play them on, you can see how they get pretty pricey, pretty fast. If you don't like piracy, good for you, but don't try to preach to everyone else (especially on a forum that is more or less centered around the topic) how bad it is. I'm still living with my parents, and last year I had enough money to be fairly comfortable with what they were providing. But since then, my car insurance has gone up, I've had to pay more out of pocket for my own tuition, my cell phone bill has gone up (data package), needed a new phone, parts needed (and still need) replacing on my car, needed a new tire/needed a tire repaired, and gas is currently at $3.75/gal here in Toms River, NJ, all this while working for $8.68/hr on roughly 26 hours a week. Try telling me I can still afford to buy any video game I want when I've had to empty my savings alone just to pay for college. Having already had a DSTWO, I bought a few 3DS games when they were on sale, and downloaded all the DS games I wanted and used my DSTWO for that.

He didn't hack it. If you see everything on the bottom, he more or less wired an SD reader to where the NAND should be on the DSi mobo and put an interpreter in the middle to make it direct all of the right data to the right places. Nothing got hacked, it got modified. The SD card should still be holding an exact image of the NAND, encrypted and all.

I see,

I don't even know what you're trying to say... but the DSi didn't see it as an SD card, he replaced the NAND chip with an SD reader and an interpreter (I know interpreter likely isn't the correct terminology here, but it makes sense at least). The DSi had no knowledge that it was modified. The protection is written into the software itself as encryption.

Afaik Rayman3D was a completely different game. Plus, you can't simply emulate it and get 3D out of it.

Sorry, Its just that to be honest rayman3d looked like it wasnt even running natively.

---------

plasma, if that is true with 3DS mode as well then I understand that he has to hack it "hardwarewise" and "softwarewise". Finding a way through the Hardware to learn about the Software and to an extent that the CPU no longer sees code that blocks booting strings?
having built a ram read/writer, now is a task of finding a (key to unlock) -exploit-??
having a ram read/writer= its a nice step
(I have no IDEA of what im saying LOL!!! BEWAREZ!!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, Blue omelette
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Lol Ken will never eat an omelette again lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Actually ihops omlettes still hit haven't had one in forever
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    The steak one is amazing
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Damn near $20 so fuck them
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I second that, they are good. I always get the steak and add mushrooms to it also. But yea been awhile since had myself. I used to go there every morn for coffee and breakfast, meet with my work crew, but we all stop going, too expensive.
    +1
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    I'm scarred for life.
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    See you guys, I'll get lost for another month. Maybe the rest of the year.
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    See you tomorrow
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Peace. Take care, no more searching tonight. You gonna have nightmares.
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    See you tomorrow.
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    did she just vomit on the chat before leaving
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    why are girls doing this nowadays? is this some weird way of showing dominance?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, I put her outside though, then cleaned it up.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ah yes the unique power of girls vomiting on you
  • PandaPandel @ PandaPandel:
    im gonna puke
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Laughing face + 2
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    finally, a zelda game where you play as zelda
    it only took 40 years
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @The Real Jdbye, They finally got the naming convention right.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now lets rename all of the old Zelda games to The Legend of Link. Lol.
    they kinda did that with zelda 2 at least it had link in the title
    +1
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: they kinda did that with zelda 2 at least it had link in the title +1