Not open for further replies.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
dudes, wtf ? can you guys please clarify me something ?
they find an exploit in some game, 3DS stores savegames on SD card, do we really need the game cart in order to hack or just the savegame, thant could be copied from the computer ?
Obviously you need the game. The hacked save game exploits the game itself when it is loaded. So obviously you need to the game to load the save.

Anyway, the 3DS does not store saves for game cards on the SD card, those saves are stored on the game card itself. Only downloaded games have their saves stored on the SD card, and those cannot be attacked without first running code through some other exploit i.e. a game card exploit.

Vappy

Trophies
XP
Country
Actually, going by what we know about the hack already, I imagine it'll be similar to other game-based exploits on other consoles, where you need to run the game with the exploit-enabling save file every time you turn on the console, which obviously means you'll need a copy of the game yourself. Not really free.

Deltaechoe

The Dopefish
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, going by what we know about the hack already, I imagine it'll be similar to other game-based exploits on other consoles, where you need to run the game with the exploit-enabling save file every time you turn on the console, which obviously means you'll need a copy of the game yourself. Not really free.
The exploit allowed for kernel level access, this means that they would be able to flash some permission escalation module to the system NAND which would allow for not having to run the exploit more than once (assuming you don't wipe it out in a system update)

dehry

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The exploit allowed for kernel level access, this means that they would be able to flash some permission escalation module to the system NAND which would allow for not having to run the exploit more than once (assuming you don't wipe it out in a system update)

They can tell it to run commands from the kernel mode, but they do not have access to the firmware. At best you're looking at having to keep the 3DS on after running the hack to keep it working, but as soon as you turn it off the firmware could overwrite it. They have said nothing to the effect of having a permanent hack. Not to mention Nintendo can put out a Pokemon X & Y patch 1.1 to force an update by people who want to play online.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Having kernel access =/= making a permanent hack. Just because you can modify/install files on the NAND FS doesn't mean the system will accept them. Consider this:

You run exploit, gaining kernel mode access -> You install unsigned content (e.g. a custom "channel" or the 3DS equivalent term) [note that without the private key, there is no way to sign it so it could only be unsigned] -> System reboots, checks installed contents, notices something is unsigned -> Refuses to boot

Now you may be thinking "but what about the Wii? In that case a kernel (i.e. IOS) exploit is only needed during install, and then the system will just accept it"; that's true. For some reason on the Wii, Nintendo don't bother to check installed titles. They rely on the security of the installation process, and assume once something has been installed, it must be signed. I believe that is not the case with the 3DS, Nintendo have learnt from that.

Reactions: gamefan5 and dehry

dehry

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The way I see it, the whole scene will last all of a week when it does get released, barring Nintendo finding the exploit ahead of time. The DSi exploit these guys found was quickly patched and nobody has bothered to try hacking that system again.

* DSi is not the same as DS. Anytime you use a flashcart, you are playing in DS mode and miss out on DSi features added to games such as better network connectivity options. No DSi emulation exists either.

Deltaechoe

The Dopefish
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They can tell it to run commands from the kernel mode, but they do not have access to the firmware. At best you're looking at having to keep the 3DS on after running the hack to keep it working, but as soon as you turn it off the firmware could overwrite it. They have said nothing to the effect of having a permanent hack. Not to mention Nintendo can put out a Pokemon X & Y patch 1.1 to force an update by people who want to play online.

That's what reversing the firmware is for, what you have to do is a firmware hack. As soon as you have access to the kernel you have access to the service that flashes firmware modules to the NAND. The only problem is that channel has to be written and whatever checks for the signed code has to be disabled which can be overcome and lead to a permanent hack.

Cerberus87

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The way I see it, the whole scene will last all of a week when it does get released, barring Nintendo finding the exploit ahead of time. The DSi exploit these guys found was quickly patched and nobody has bothered to try hacking that system again.

* DSi is not the same as DS. Anytime you use a flashcart, you are playing in DS mode and miss out on DSi features added to games such as better network connectivity options. No DSi emulation exists either.

The only worthwhile DSi-enhanced games are Pokémon Black & White and their sequels, though.

Biggest feature DSi mode offers is WPA encryption. I don't care about using the cameras in the games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yWIobzBdKc