Hacking 3DS Flashcarts - News, Updates, and Support Thread

groit

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So.. that clone stuff MIGHT(at the risk of starting a flame war) be a waste of time cause they take even longer to update?

ScarletCrystals

Useless Bunny of Paradise
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So say 8.0(Nintendo) comes out with an awesome game we want to play, and gateway comes out with an 8.0 update, how are we supposed to update emuNAND if Nintendo releases 8.1 before? Are we all going to have to mod our 3DS?
Let's see if I can explain this coherently....
Emunand/Gateway mode spoof the firmware naturally so you can run higher firmware roms/cartridges on a 4.5 3ds. In essence, it is bypassing the check whenever the 3ds checks whether you have the right firmware.

So why don't some of the newer games work? Because they are using a new save encryption method called sdk7+. A 4.5 3ds can't read/write this save method so the game fails to load. And firmware spoofing doesn't fix this because it still can't allow the 3ds to use the new encryption method.

Reactions: Nightwish

groit

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
we still need to update emuNAND at the same time the gateway and nintendo updates align, if you get what im saying

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Let's see if I can explain this coherently....
Emunand/Gateway mode spoof the firmware naturally so you can run higher firmware roms/cartridges on a 4.5 3ds. In essence, it is bypassing the check whenever the 3ds checks whether you have the right firmware.

So why don't some of the newer games work? Because they are using a new save encryption method called sdk7+. A 4.5 3ds can't read/write this save method so the game fails to load. And firmware spoofing doesn't fix this because it still can't allow the 3ds to use the new encryption method.
you have 2 separate issues mashed up there,
firstly there is 6.x save encryption,
and now there is 7.x ncch (rom) encryption

save encryption doesn't really matter....if you encrypt and decrypt a save wrong you can still do it, but its not the "proper" way which is why gateway cant use games saves that are using 6.x save encryption in classic mode if they where played on a real retail updated console as opposed to classic mode, and why a cart played in classic mode will not load the save on a retail 6.x+ console...gateway uses one key nintnedo uses another

ncch encryption is the issue as the content is already encrypted using retail encryption method, so gateway cant improvise with this like they did with 6.x save encryption they need the decryption key to decrypt it

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
ncch encryption was introduced with 7.2(Nintendo)?
nope was first added as an option in the initial 7.0 update i believe, but only a few apps used it like pokebank, and the US youtube app, it was only in 7.2 that parts of the OS used the new ncch encryption, now in 8.0 even more of the OS uses it rendering it unusable in emunand, it took quite a while from its introduction to actually hit retail carts

Bigbones87

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow. I just bought a brand new exploitable 3ds xl for $215 after tax. Then I bought a $73 gateway card. Then I bought a couple 128gb sd hc cards for roms to go on. So I have a good bit invested in all of this so far, and haven't gotten all the parts in the mail yet. Now I am reading that certain games aren't gonna play because of new encryption and would need newer decryption keys, that gateway obviously doesn't have and may never have? Hmm....feeling like this May have been a waste of funds, but we will see. Hopefully it all works out for all the money invested. Lol

Rizzorules

"What are you doing?" "Something unexpected."
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
well, gateway team has already said that they are "certainty that we will soon be running 7.x games and 7.x applications".
So, unless they are lying, there is still hope :P
I dont think they are lying they have always give us what they promise but months later, i hope they realese the update before September 13, because that day is when Super smash bros is realesed in Japan so we could play it 2 weeks before

laurorual

What are you looking for?
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
well, there is also smealum working on sploits on newer firmwares. I know that there was already a discussion here about smealum's sploit not been useful for rom emulation, but who knows, maybe when it is released, gateway can have some help with 7.x app decryption
he said that in about 2 weeks his sploit will be released.

Adr990

To boldly go where no man has gone before!
Trophies
Website
www.hyrule.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
I just realized my question is more appropriate here. :)

Also, I want to play Zelda ALBW, but it has the 6.2 update on it, right?
Does EmuNand spoof it self, or do you actually need to update it via the Nintendo Servers? (And therfore wait for a new Gateway update on that)
Or can I change the required version number with the 3DSExplorer 1.5.3? (I removed the update already via the tool..)

And I can just use the headers of my original games on Roms like this:
http://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-use-scene-dumps-with-gw-2-2-online.365829/

And go online on 4.4 (even 4.4 (if it is not spoofed) emunand), right?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
all games except 7.x encrypted games will work fine on any firmware, you dont even need to set up emunand, just enter gateway mode and they will work as normal,

you can go online as long as you follow the turorial in that thread, only exceptions are games that require a update from the eshop(i.e pokemon), only way to play them online is if you already downloaded the update when 7.x was the latest version out

Adr990

To boldly go where no man has gone before!
Trophies
Website
www.hyrule.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
all games except 7.x encrypted games will work fine on any firmware, you dont even need to set up emunand, just enter gateway mode and they will work as normal,

you can go online as long as you follow the turorial in that thread, only exceptions are games that require a update from the eshop(i.e pokemon), only way to play them online is if you already downloaded the update when 7.x was the latest version out

Thanks. :)

I read about the update part before, there seems to be a MK7 v1.1 rom dump around, mine is probably 1.0. (bought on release day)
Other updated games have not yet been seen on the scene yet. (being sold already updated)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, People who create revival services for the Wii end up in disaster, same goes for Pretendo lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, atleast wiimmfii went fine although people only use it for Mario kart Wii
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    At least if they ban you for cheating, get another Wii. They're cheap as chips.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Remember when RiiShop was a thing?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    not really
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It got shutdown because somebody "accidentally" leaked the database for the amount of people using the beta.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    RiiShop is the laziest way of downloading Wii games. Did somebody not think of this through?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    although i ended up accidentally changing my nand with no way of going back bc i didn't know you needed a gamecube controller to restore it (i have a wii minus/1.1, which doesn't have gamecube controller support)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, I think you're talking about the recovery mode that the SaveMii used, and also was to restore softbricked systems.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    If your NAND was hardbricked, then just buy another Wii. Or go with the dirty NAND flasher method.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    and if i find the sd card i have my NAND backed up on, i can not only restore the NAND if i solder the right part in, but i can also put my NAND on dolphin, then i can play dolphin online, like PMEX Remix or MKWii Riibalanced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Brb
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, Oh yeah, that was a thing too. Dolphin does support Wiimmfi.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah you just need to put your NAND backup with wiimmfi on it
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ngl i feel like if a bunch of my friends have wiis and know how to get wiimmfi and back up their NAND, then we could do a PMEX Remix tournament
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    maybe even add UMVC3/DBFZ and make it a biathlon/triathlon
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Too bad Excite Truck wasn't multi player :(
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Loved that game lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, sorry for the stupid suggestion I had in that thread
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its fine
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    what thread?
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxR2jow50Bs