3DS extra slide-pad + Monster Hunter 3G confirmed!

Zerox8610

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SpaceJump said:
Zerox8610 said:
chris888222 said:
Zerox8610 said:
Now.... they're adding MORE gimmicks to their consoles.
Er... whut?

Analog + R2 = gimmick?

I'm talking about 3D, the motion gaming fad in general and what ever the hell the Wii U is considered.
Not all necessarily the 3DS and such.

And I consider another attachment to add 2 buttons a bit ridiculous. Especially with the size of the thing.
Why is 3D a gimmick. It's a graphical and visual enhancement just like HD. In your logic HD would be a gimmick too.

Quite possibly. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKYKyIObXyM

ChaosZero816

Temp's Official Random Member
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm just gonna wait and see if this thing really is an abomination like everyone says.

We will never know unless we try.
Excited for Monster Hunter though.
smile.gif

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
In fairness I think we should give credit to Nintendo for this. It would have been easy to have just persevered with the one analog slider and use the the gyroscope as a second "analog," but they've given what looks like a decent (admittedly ugly) alternative. Saying that I also feel Ninty's credibility has taken another punch. This may be a peripheral but its not a pokewalker which adds nothing to the experience but an actual extra control option which I imagine will have some substance rather than the typical throwaway peripheral.

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this is completely unnecessary
the only reasonably explanation that comes to my mind is that Nintendo will launch a new 3DS redesign with dual slide-pad, so they are releasing this add-on for the sake of compatibility with newer games that may use this 2nd slide-pad in the new 3DS revision.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SpaceJump said:
Zerox8610 said:
chris888222 said:
Zerox8610 said:
Er... whut?

Analog + R2 = gimmick?

I'm talking about 3D, the motion gaming fad in general and what ever the hell the Wii U is considered.

And I consider another attachment to add 2 buttons a bit ridiculous. Especially with the size of the thing.
Why is 3D a gimmick. It's a graphical and visual enhancement just like HD. In your logic HD would be a gimmick too.
It's a gimmick because it's not required in any game or part of the system. So yes, HD is a gimmick as well.

Also...I'd rather have the redesign...I'll wait for the next revision that comes with that stuff.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
emigre said:
In fairness I think we should give credit to Nintendo for this. It would have been easy to have just persevered with the one analog slider and use the the gyroscope as a second "analog," but they've given what looks like a decent (admittedly ugly) alternative. Saying that I also feel Ninty's credibility has taken another punch. This may be a peripheral but its not a pokewalker which adds nothing to the experience but an actual extra control option which I imagine will have some substance rather than the typical throwaway peripheral.
Seriously, +1 to this.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
shakirmoledina said:
but why do u need an extra analog stick? buttons are good but definitely not the analog stick

oh well its still not bad but i dont think its worth it
We don't need it, that's why it's a peripheral. (Well, we won't need it for everything, don't really know if we'll need it at all)

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
machomuu said:
SpaceJump said:
Zerox8610 said:
chris888222 said:
Zerox8610 said:
Er... whut?

Analog + R2 = gimmick?

It's a gimmick because it's not required in any game or part of the system. So yes, HD is a gimmick as well.
So you can add voice acting, lighting effects and many more things to the gimmick list as well. Seriously the word gimmick is totally overused these days.

ProtoSphere

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
emigre said:
+1

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SpaceJump said:
machomuu said:
SpaceJump said:
Zerox8610 said:
chris888222 said:
Zerox8610 said:
Er... whut?

Analog + R2 = gimmick?

So you can add voice acting, lighting effects and many more things to the gimmick list as well. Seriously the word gimmick is totally overused these days.
Not when used right. Most people call things gimmicks when they attract people to said game or system. However, when referring to gaming it is what I said. So yes, they are gimmicks. You need to stop seeing it as if being a gimmick is a bad thing, it's not. You seem to be taking it as an insult.

boktor666

Gbatemp's official Solar Boy™ Is Back!
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
instead of being all negative, look at this from the bright side. We can now play, for example, RE and Splinter cell, in a much easier way, since they require the ABXY buttons for the camera angles.

Also, I'm very excited for MH3G, hope it's gonna be as awesome as it's earlier brotehrs.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
boktor666 said:
instead of being all negative, look at this from the bright side. We can now play, for example, RE and Splinter cell, in a much easier way, since they require the ABXY buttons for the camera angles.

Also, I'm very excited for MH3G, hope it's gonna be as awesome as it's earlier brotehrs.
I think you mean MGS3, not RE (Resident Evil?). Resident Evil on 3DS doesn't really stand to gain anything from a second analog stick. RE4 on Gamecube and PS2 didn't even really use the second analog save for very restrictive and rather pointless camera control (i tried it once just to see what the stick did and never used it again). The aiming was done by holding a shoulder button and moving the left analog stick.

Also, i'm going to assume here that games have to be programmed specifically to use this peripheral. Meaning a game like Splinter Cell would not function with it, unless Ubisoft saw it fit to either rerelease the game at retail to support it or made some sort of DLC patch to alter the game into recognizing and supporting another analog stick. Both of which i actually see somewhat unlikely for Ubisoft to do. Konami i could see adding an option in before release of MGS3 at least, but Ubisoft is lazy as shit.
rolleyes.gif

SamAsh07

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
boktor666 said:

You know only if Nintendo had the C-Pad on the right side....

RE would play this way:-
D-Pad - Move
C-Pad - Aim
C-Pad + Hold L - (Camera control)
R - Shoot
Tap L - Crouch/Stand
ABXY for the rest of the crap. Talk, Dodge w/e

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
heartgold said:
As long as it's comfortable, who cares how it looks like. My 3DS hardly leaves the house anyway.
Same here.
tongue.gif

I always bring my 3DS out, but never play it.
Besides, recent portables are best fit in bags.

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
machomuu said:
SpaceJump said:
machomuu said:
SpaceJump said:
Zerox8610 said:
chris888222 said:
Zerox8610 said:
Er... whut?

Analog + R2 = gimmick?

Not when used right. Most people call things gimmicks when they attract people to said game or system. However, when referring to gaming it is what I said. So yes, they are gimmicks. You need to stop seeing it as if being a gimmick is a bad thing, it's not. You seem to be taking it as an insult.
The problem with the word gimmick is that nowadays it's used to negatively describe features of a system. Haven't heard anyone calling HD a gimmick till now. It was the same with the DS when many people thought the touch was only a gimmick, and now every system coming out including the Vita and Smartphone has one, the same is with HD and will be with 3D (smartphones with glass-free 3D just were released by LG). I call this evolution and development, some call it gimmick. Whatever...

Edit on topic: If the games supporting this cradle still support touch screen camera control, then I'll pass.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att is displaying prices like it's an ingredients list now lol