TGS: 3DS Slide Pad Feels Better Than It Looks

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by SamAsh07, Sep 15, 2011.

Sep 15, 2011
  1. SamAsh07
    OP

Member SamAsh07 GBAtemp Addict

Bahrain
    My first reaction when I saw Nintendo's 3DS Slide Pad Expansion was disbelief. There was no doubt in my mind the system should have always had a second analog stick, but this as a solution? This seemed to be the worst way possible to do it. A clunky cradle that adds significant bulk to an already so-so system design? Not so hot. Today, however, my opinion is changing a bit. I've had time to hold the device in my hands. Honestly, it's not that bad.

First and foremost, the Slide Pad Expansion is light. Despite the peripheral's size, it doesn't add much to the overall weight of the system. (It is worth noting though that I don't know if the AAA battery was installed into the device.) In some ways you'd be pressed to know anything significant had been added. That's definitely good news.

Despite its size, the Expansion is very comfortable. Gripping a 3DS encased in one is not cumbersome at all due to the curve of its shell, and I found myself naturally finding the system's two R buttons and two L buttons. Of course, the increased size is a double-edged sword. In some ways the 3DS is easier to hold than before. However that comes with a cost - with the Expansion, the 3DS is far less portable.

One thing to note - because it expands the right side of the 3DS so much, the Expansion "replaces" the traditional R button with one of its own. However on the left side, the system's own L button can still easily be used. The Expansion basically features three of its own shoulder buttons, one of which covers an existing button. The microphone jack and volume slider are still easily accessible.

The positioning of the second circle pad is the only part that worries me. Though it's possible to reach the four main face buttons on the 3DS, it is slightly awkward, partly due to the position and partly due to the distance, which feels just slightly greater than it should be. I have reasonably long fingers, but those of you with smaller hands may struggle. It will be interesting to see if that immediate discomfort subsides with more hands-on experience.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to play a game using the Expansion. That would answer a number of questions, including whether thumb movement from the second pad to the face buttons is actually an issue or just temporary. Similarly, it will be interesting to see how effective the new L and R buttons are. The L2/R2 buttons have a surprising amount of give - I'm curious if they're actually analog inputs.[/p]

[​IMG] Source

There's a little video in the source if you wanna watch, and rest of the article too [​IMG]

2. machomuu

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    Is this really news? I mean, I get why you would put it here, but it seems more like 3DS section material imo.

3. SamAsh07
    OP

Bahrain
    I knew the first reply would be that, but

NEWS means new information about specific events, stuff etc.

4. machomuu

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    Seriously? You know what I meant. I meant is this really USN material.

I was just stating my opinion is all.

5. SamAsh07
    OP

Bahrain
    Yeah to me it is, because many people were freaking out, since the majority of GBAtemp community lurks at USN, I wager'd it'd be a wise decision to post it as USN topic, not because it's newsworthy to me, but many lurking accounts out there will get this news right in front of their eyes.

The mods/admins can move it for all I care, I just wanted to pass on the news to everyone [​IMG]

6. Ace

Member Ace GBATemp's Patrick Bateman

Sweden
    Assuming most people here are in their teens or adults, this should really put people at some ease. Although I can imagine that having this expansion will only make the revision more sought after than the 3DS as it is.

7. TLSS_N

Member TLSS_N Who is John Galt?

United States
    indeed, I hope this doesn't cause a backfire.

8. Vulpes Abnocto

Former Staff Vulpes Abnocto Drinks, Knows Things

United States
    Since this boils down to a simple review, I really don't feel like it needs to be in USN.
    However I've left a link there to be sure that everybody finds this information.
    And thank you for posting it, SamAsh.

9. iRawriLaugh

Member iRawriLaugh GBAtemp Regular

United States
    i for one will be getting it even tho i think its the most weirdest and ugliest accessory O_O

10. tigris

Member tigris Sentient Existential Anthropomorphic Sweet Potato

United Kingdom
    Honestly, it's not that bad!
    Honest!
    *pockets money from Nintendo and winks*
    Honest! We're IGN! Totally non-paid to review stuff like this, and totally reliable.
    Honest!

11. Ron

Member Ron somehow a weeb now.

Canada
    The finish on the plastic doesn't fit the 3DS. Atleast make it shiny.. Oh well.