Homebrew 3ds extdata dump and restore tool (extra data editing!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
Quick question:

Could we dump the extdata for a specific 3ds game from one 3ds, and restore it to another 3ds?

D

Deleted User

Hello everyone! First time posting in this thread.

Just a question for RachelB, I wrote a simple 3DS Mii Modifier program, but to calculate the checksum I use your fixcrc.exe program.

I was just wondering if I could have your permission to use that along side my program, as well as to bundle it with the download.

I'm using your program because it works well, and I don't feel like writing my own checksum calculation code. :P
If you would rather not have me use your program, that's fine as well.

If you could, please reply on this thread, as I'm checking in on it everyday. :lol:

Reactions: Zidapi

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Hello everyone! First time posting in this thread.

Just a question for RachelB, I wrote a simple 3DS Mii Modifier program, but to calculate the checksum I use your fixcrc.exe program.

I was just wondering if I could have your permission to use that along side my program, as well as to bundle it with the download.

I'm using your program because it works well, and I don't feel like writing my own checksum calculation code. :P
If you would rather not have me use your program, that's fine as well.

If you could, please reply on this thread, as I'm checking in on it everyday. :lol:
Umm, I don't she's going to respond.
https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2015/04/25/commemoration-rachel-bryk/

D

Deleted User

Oops, that doesn't sound good :ohnoes:

Well then... anyone know if I would be okay using that?
I'm hoping I don't have to find another program or code if myself.

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Oops, that doesn't sound good :ohnoes:

Well then... anyone know if I would be okay using that?
I'm hoping I don't have to find another program or code if myself.
I don't think anyone will mind. Just give credit, even if it's posthumous.

Reactions: Zidapi
D

Deleted User

I plan to leave credit! :lol:

I'll try and get it up sometime soon then.

Should I post it here or make a new thread?

I'll see when I can get it up though. It's not like it's anything special and it may have some problems, but it's worked for me so far ;)

D

Deleted User

The separate thread has been posted if anyone wants to check out the program.

I don't know if I'm allowed to link it, so I won't unless someone says it's fine. :)

KwandaoRen66

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Long time lurker, first time poster so I'm sorry if I'm committing a faux pas by requesting some help here :x
My question right now is concerning Pokemon OR/AS VS Recorder videos, a user by the name of TinyVi created a program (BVeditor) that lets you change the background of the videos provided you can access decrypted ext_data (which this tool is a godsend for, thank you so so so much OP).
I've located the videos using the dump and some of TinyVi's information here:
832cec86ec.png

My problem is I would like to know how to properly format the config text to just dump everything from that exact directory (there can be up to 100 files because 100 vs recorder videos) and also format a restore command to do the exact same thing. I know that this is all possible with savedatafiler which does all the heavy lifting, but I'm running a clean 10.0.0-27U firmware and actually managed to make it this far with only tubehax. Looking at the template, I would assume the commands would be something like

Code:
; dump VS Recorder videos
DUMP "000011c5: 000" "000"
DUMP "000011c5: 001" "001"

etc etc until I hit 100

Code:
; restore VS Recorder videos
RESTORE "dumps/000011c5/btvideo/000" "000011c5:/btvideo/000"
RESTORE "dumps/000011c5/btvideo/001" "000011c5:/btvideo/001"

etc etc until I hit 100

My question is, is it kosher to plug in multiple lines like that into one prompt or does each video need to be its own command like
Code:
; dump VS Recorder video #1
DUMP "000011c5: 000" "000"

; dump VS Recorder video #2
DUMP "000011c5: 001" "001"

etc etc

Thanks for reading this if you did, I'm just scared to pull a metaphorical trigger without some peer review. :unsure:

Spork Schivago

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If a game uses Extdata stored in the NAND, after dumping the Extdata from the NAND, is there an easy way to tell what directory the game's stuff is in? Would it involve the TitleID perhaps? Thanks and awesome program! Been trying to figure out how to extract the Extdata from the NAND for a while now.

fmkid

Just another GBATemp's random guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
If a game uses Extdata stored in the NAND, after dumping the Extdata from the NAND, is there an easy way to tell what directory the game's stuff is in? Would it involve the TitleID perhaps? Thanks and awesome program! Been trying to figure out how to extract the Extdata from the NAND for a while now.
Look: http://3dbrew.org/wiki/Extdata

Spork Schivago

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for replying to my question fmkid. I've already looked at http://3dbrew.org/wiki/Extdata. I was concentrating on the NAND Shared Extdata section ( http://3dbrew.org/wiki/Extdata#NAND_Shared_Extdata ). I didn't see anything in there for game data though in that section. Should I be looking at a different section of the article?

I'm not even certain my game (Ultimate NES Remix) stores data in the NAND. I know when I tried switching regions (going from a European ROM to a USA ROM), I used SFD (SaveDataFiler) to export the European save and then import it into the USA save. However, when I try loading the game, it gives the following message:
Code:
Scores and clear times uploaded
to the rankings are linked to your
Nintendo 3DS. Because you did
not use this system when uploading
your previous scores and clear times,
new data cannot be uploaded.

With the European version, I don't get this message. Both ROMs are on the same console so I figured the game must be storing data some place besides the save game. Also, when I dump the Extdata from the NAND, for the first section at least, I get errors. Something like error reading file <blah>. <blah> would be replaced by the name of the file. I get about 12 of them (from what I can tell, it scrolls a bit fast). Maybe if MrCheeze is still developing this app, he'd consider having the app create a log file when it's ran, so whatever shows on the screen gets captured to a file? Just a thought.

fmkid

Just another GBATemp's random guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Thanks for replying to my question fmkid. I've already looked at http://3dbrew.org/wiki/Extdata. I was concentrating on the NAND Shared Extdata section ( http://3dbrew.org/wiki/Extdata#NAND_Shared_Extdata ). I didn't see anything in there for game data though in that section. Should I be looking at a different section of the article?

I'm not even certain my game (Ultimate NES Remix) stores data in the NAND. I know when I tried switching regions (going from a European ROM to a USA ROM), I used SFD (SaveDataFiler) to export the European save and then import it into the USA save. However, when I try loading the game, it gives the following message:
Code:
Scores and clear times uploaded
to the rankings are linked to your
Nintendo 3DS. Because you did
not use this system when uploading
your previous scores and clear times,
new data cannot be uploaded.

With the European version, I don't get this message. Both ROMs are on the same console so I figured the game must be storing data some place besides the save game. Also, when I dump the Extdata from the NAND, for the first section at least, I get errors. Something like error reading file <blah>. <blah> would be replaced by the name of the file. I get about 12 of them (from what I can tell, it scrolls a bit fast). Maybe if MrCheeze is still developing this app, he'd consider having the app create a log file when it's ran, so whatever shows on the screen gets captured to a file? Just a thought.
Perharps, that are you looking for is on Boss Extdata. And, ATM, is not possible to get on that part of extdata, AFAIK.

Spork Schivago

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you again for the reply. Perhaps you're right. Looking at the article you linked me to though, it appears someone's been able to study the NAND a bit more indepth? I was under the impression that the NAND is encrypted. I have a dump of the NAND. A little off topic here, but does anyone know if I'm correct in this assumption? If so, is there away to decrypt the actual NAND ? Maybe I could get to the Boss data that way...

I think the info I want, if it's there, would be located under: nand/data/<ID0>/sysdata ( http://3dbrew.org/wiki/Flash_Filesystem has info on the NAND filesystem )

Last edited by Spork Schivago,

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
Stupid question, what does this tool do that SDF doesn't? Because I used SDF to extract the extdata for curtain call and restored it to another 3DS and that worked perfectly.

Is it just that this tool is a home brew (I think?) and the other one is nintendo's program (which means, illegal)?

Thanks

SomeGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Stupid question, what does this tool do that SDF doesn't? Because I used SDF to extract the extdata for curtain call and restored it to another 3DS and that worked perfectly.

Is it just that this tool is a home brew (I think?) and the other one is nintendo's program (which means, illegal)?

Thanks
This is for FWs over 9.2

Reactions: Madridi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :O @SylverReZ just got banned in russia ! :ohnoes::ohnoes::rofl2: