Homebrew 3ds extdata dump and restore tool (extra data editing!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spork Schivago

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Stupid question, what does this tool do that SDF doesn't? Because I used SDF to extract the extdata for curtain call and restored it to another 3DS and that worked perfectly.
Is it just that this tool is a home brew (I think?) and the other one is nintendo's program (which means, illegal)?

Thanks
Don't quote me on this, but I believe SaveDataFiler only works with the Extdata on the SD card, whereas this tool extracts the Extdata from the NAND. Also, SaveDataFiler is just for saves I believe, where as this tool dumps more than just saves. It dumps the Extdata. The Extdata tabe in SaveDataFiler I believe is only for the save games on the Extdata that's on the SD card.

Reactions: fmkid and Madridi

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
Don't quote me on this, but I believe SaveDataFiler only works with the Extdata on the SD card, whereas this tool extracts the Extdata from the NAND. Also, SaveDataFiler is just for saves I believe, where as this tool dumps more than just saves. It dumps the Extdata. The Extdata tabe in SaveDataFiler I believe is only for the save games on the Extdata that's on the SD card.
Not sure how to test it out to confirm the validity of this.. Maybe someone else have something else to add?

Thanks for the info :)

Spork Schivago

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure how to test it out to confirm the validity of this.. Maybe someone else have something else to add?

Thanks for the info :)
Well, I can tell you this much, with SaveDataFiler, I get three items under ExtData, with this tool here, I get a LOT more! If I could find the source code to SaveDataFiler, I could tell you for certain.

Reactions: Madridi

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
Well, I can tell you this much, with SaveDataFiler, I get three items under ExtData, with this tool here, I get a LOT more! If I could find the source code to SaveDataFiler, I could tell you for certain.
I think that's just the way they are differently dumped, but hey what do I know :)

Oh and there is no chance in finding the source code to SDF, we're lucky to even get our hands on the program :P

Spork Schivago

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, I just found out it's from the official SDK. Anyway, it's not that they're dumped differently, it's that they're dumping different things. Like I said, for certain, this tool dumps stuff that SaveDataFiler doesn't. It's why people where able to modify their Mii's to have gold pants or something like that. I highly doubt you can access your Mii's data using SDF. If you could, why weren't people doing so? It was kind of a big thing here, if you read through the forum. A lot of people seemed real interested in this. I believe some girl gave a list of differences between the two programs on one of the pages. I've read the whole forum, it's a long read. But someone (I think it was a girl) went into detail about the differences between this program and SDF. Someone kept asking over and over what the differences where and was trying to get people just to use SDF, not realizing they where in fact two different programs, doing two totally different things. Mr.Cheeze might be extracting and decrypting the Extdata on the SD card as well as on the NAND, but SDF is just for Save Files, not the extra stuff stored in the NAND.

Here's a page, if you can understand it, that talks about the two main categories of Extdata on the 3DS (the one stored on the SD card, the one stored on the NAND chip) http://3dbrew.org/wiki/Extdata

Take a look at the SD Extdata section and then take a look at the NAND Shared Extdata section. Hope this clarifies some stuff for you and answers some of your questions.

Reactions: fmkid

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
What's an example of NAND shared extdata vs SD extdata? The only case I had to use extdata transfer was for curtain call, and from what I can see, everything was copied over (including quests we got from streetpass). But I have no idea if that was just because it was entirely SD extdata or if it actually copied everything including NAND

Spork Schivago

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's an example of NAND shared extdata vs SD extdata? The only case I had to use extdata transfer was for curtain call, and from what I can see, everything was copied over (including quests we got from streetpass). But I have no idea if that was just because it was entirely SD extdata or if it actually copied everything including NAND
Did you look at the article I linked you to? The two sections I told you to look at answer your questions. The section entitled SD Extdata tells you what's stored on the SD card's Extdata, the one called NAND Shared Extdata tells you what's stored on the NAND Extdat. Here, I'll give you links to the two sections:

Stuff stored on the SD Card Extdata: http://3dbrew.org/wiki/Extdata#SD_Extdata

Stuff stored on the NAND Shared Extdata: http://3dbrew.org/wiki/Extdata#NAND_Shared_Extdata

If you're still having trouble figuring it out, I don't mean any offence by this, but this tool probably isn't for you. If what you're trying to do can be accomplished by SaveDataFiler, then chances are this tool isn't for you. Both tools serve two totally different purposes. This tool isn't made for exporting / importing your save games that are stored on the SD card.

fmkid

Just another GBATemp's random guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Basically, ATM, with this tool most of the people can do 3 single things:

1- Install Custom 3DS Menu Themes.
2- Modify Created Miis.
3- Modify 3DS GameCoins.

If you aren't looking for any of those things, then pass over this!

Last edited by fmkid,

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
Did you look at the article I linked you to? The two sections I told you to look at answer your questions. The section entitled SD Extdata tells you what's stored on the SD card's Extdata, the one called NAND Shared Extdata tells you what's stored on the NAND Extdat. Here, I'll give you links to the two sections:

Stuff stored on the SD Card Extdata: http://3dbrew.org/wiki/Extdata#SD_Extdata

Stuff stored on the NAND Shared Extdata: http://3dbrew.org/wiki/Extdata#NAND_Shared_Extdata

If you're still having trouble figuring it out, I don't mean any offence by this, but this tool probably isn't for you. If what you're trying to do can be accomplished by SaveDataFiler, then chances are this tool isn't for you. Both tools serve two totally different purposes. This tool isn't made for exporting / importing your save games that are stored on the SD card.
I saw all of that. Sorry if I wasn't clear, but I meant in the case of curtain call, which is not listed in the link, leads me to believe that the link is outdated.

Therefore, it's not weird to think that that particular game might have data stored on sd and NAND.

That being said, I understood nothing about the NAND shared segment, only the SD part I got.

And no offense taken, I got your point completely :)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Basically, ATM, with this tool most of the people can do 3 single things:

1- Install Custom 3DS Menu Themes.
2- Modify Created Miis.
3- Modify 3DS GameCoins.

If you aren't looking for any of those things, then pass over this!
Thanks! Got it :)

fmkid

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
@madridi4ever: and if you want examples about difference between SD and Shared NAND extdata, about I said to you:

1- Install Custom 3DS Menu Themes (on SD).
2- Modify Created Miis (on Shared).
3- Modify 3DS GameCoins (on Shared).

An easy way to see if are stored on this or that, is extracting SD of your console. All data you can see after that is stored on NAND, of course[/QUOTE]

Spork Schivago

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I saw all of that. Sorry if I wasn't clear, but I meant in the case of curtain call, which is not listed in the link, leads me to believe that the link is outdated.

Therefore, it's not weird to think that that particular game might have data stored on sd and NAND.

That being said, I understood nothing about the NAND shared segment, only the SD part I got.

And no offense taken, I got your point completely :)

Thanks! Got it :)
I'm not familiar with Curtain Call. Is it a DLC game? Is it a Finaly Fantasy Game? I know if you're in the SD Extdata, if you click on the EShop link, it lists Theatrythm Final Fantasy (which might be the game you're talking about) in the QR code section. Right before the SD Extdata section, there's a link that says something like title Database. Click that. It'll give you information about how game titles are stored on the Extdata (for NAND and for SD cards). I would imagine the list you're talking about is for very special games. I'm not an expert at this, but I believe your game title would be in the title.db file on the SD card. The definition, according to the article says this about title.db:
Code:
Title database, this contains entries for all installed titles (TWL & CTR) on the 3DS(Each database is responsible for titles installed on its medium).

If I where to take another guess, I'd guess the SaveDataFiler opens this title.db file from the SD card and perhaps uses it to get a list to populate the Extdata column. I could be wrong though. I can't get the source to SFD. I know there's some open source program that says it decrypts savegames and then there's another that re encrypts them. I believe the Extdata stuff stored on the NAND isn't encrypted, only the stuff on the SD cards.

fmkid

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
I believe the Extdata stuff stored on the NAND isn't encrypted, only the stuff on the SD cards.

No, both of those are encrypted, in fact (just see first paragraph on 3dbrew exdata wiki). "3ds_exdata_tool" just decrypts all data on SD and Shared NAND. Only Boss NAND extdata isn't possible to get on, ATM. Or better yet, just read OP.

Last edited by fmkid,

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
I'm not familiar with Curtain Call. Is it a DLC game? Is it a Finaly Fantasy Game? I know if you're in the SD Extdata, if you click on the EShop link, it lists Theatrythm Final Fantasy (which might be the game you're talking about) in the QR code section. Right before the SD Extdata section, there's a link that says something like title Database. Click that. It'll give you information about how game titles are stored on the Extdata (for NAND and for SD cards). I would imagine the list you're talking about is for very special games. I'm not an expert at this, but I believe your game title would be in the title.db file on the SD card. The definition, according to the article says this about title.db:
Code:
Title database, this contains entries for all installed titles (TWL & CTR) on the 3DS(Each database is responsible for titles installed on its medium).

If I where to take another guess, I'd guess the SaveDataFiler opens this title.db file from the SD card and perhaps uses it to get a list to populate the Extdata column. I could be wrong though. I can't get the source to SFD. I know there's some open source program that says it decrypts savegames and then there's another that re encrypts them. I believe the Extdata stuff stored on the NAND isn't encrypted, only the stuff on the SD cards.

I checked the link. Yeah it's the final fantasy game, but not the one listed. The one listed is actually the first game. Curtain call is the sequel.

Also, it's exist in both eshop and physical cart. The one I used was physical cart. I have no idea why it only listed under eshop, and if eshop meant both formats, how come something like super smash wouldn't exist on both.. So I am confused here.

Now that we mentioned the first final fantasy game though. I did copy the extdata from one 3ds to the other using SDF, but I guess that's SD, not NAND, which is why it worked perfectly.

In any case, I would assume the sequel is working the same the first game, so there is no reason to suspect curtain call would contain NAND shared data

Why would you think the SDF is reading it from title.db? I don't think it does. Now that I think about it, I am pretty sure it's reading it from one of the folders inside the nintendo 3ds folder on the SD.. Can't remember the exact location now, but I remember there being an extdata folder.

So yeah I guess you are right, SDF is probably for extdata save extraction, while this does both sd and NAND, though we can't access Boss data as mentioned before.

It's worth mentioning though, that the extraction with SDF does generate a boss data folder, but I assume there is such a thing as boss sd extdata and boss NAND extdata (which we can't access)?

Spork Schivago

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, both of those are encrypted, in fact (just see first paragraph on 3dbrew exdata wiki). "3ds_exdata_tool" just decrypts all data on SD and Shared NAND. Only Boss NAND extdata isn't possible to get on, ATM. Or better yet, just read OP.
I read a post somewhere where someone mentioned something about the 3DS decrypting it so this tool doesn't have to. Maybe the post was wrong or I misunderstood it. I believe the NAND is encrypted, but I thought once the 3DS started up, it got decrypted and this program was extracting the decrypted information. Thanks for clarifying this for me.

Why would you think the SDF is reading it from title.db? I don't think it does. Now that I think about it, I am pretty sure it's reading it from one of the folders inside the nintendo 3ds folder on the SD.. Can't remember the exact location now, but I remember there being an extdata folder....
I just assumed that it was reading from title.db. According to the link, title.db contains the name of titles installed on the 3DS. I'm sure there'd be a simple way to test this. Find where the Extdata for the game is saved on the SD card, make a copy but rename the directory to something else and see if it shows up in SDF. Sorry if I was confusing you. That wasn't my objective. I know this stuff can get a bit confusing. I don't know a lot about the 3DS but I'm in the process of learning myself. Tools like this make it really nice. I want to make an open source version of SDF one of these days. Hopefully the SDK toolchain is far enough along. Because SDF works, I'll be able to test my program and compare the decrypted saves with the decrypted saves of SDF and see if they're the same.

Lookie401

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hey @MrCheeze I was wondering if the tool can be update to support writing new extdata instead of replacing existing one. It would be great for Band Brothers P.

Or is that impossible / you don't want to for whatever reason? Thanks.

Lookie401

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, is that so? I must be using an old version. I'll go redownload from github again when I'm on a computer.

EDIT: Nope, it still doesn't work. Look at the picture in spoiler.
21mvzwk.jpg

First one is restoring a file that's already exist in extdata.
Second one is new (never exist) and I want to create that folder and file in the extdata.

Currectly I'm using SaveDataFiler that can write new folders/files but can only use it on FW9.2 or below (in this case emunand). I want to use the tool on 3DSes that's on current firmware and using smea's homebrew launcher.

Last edited by Lookie401,

MrCheeze

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Oh yeah, I guess making folders isn't actually possible. I can look into it when I get the chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: YUH