• Views 412,304
  • Replies 1,197
  • Likes 104

dark_samus3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Main is the top screen, sub is the bottom screen. The naming convention stems back from the DS scene which had two video engines: the main engine (which can do 3D graphics and has more VRAM) and the sub engine; each screen is assigned 1 engine (can be either way around). But for the 3DS, main is always the top, and sub is always the bottom.

It is indeed possible to control both screens' backlight independently, but it is not a good idea to do this, because the 2DS only has a single screen. Controlling both ensures that it behaves the same on a 2DS and 3DS.

All operating systems have their flaws; but overall I choose to use Windows. If I had to use anything else, I'd use FreeBSD with GNOME 3 though; you should too if your main concern is stability.

Interesting that the 2ds just uses one screen... Never tried freeBSD but I do use GNOME 3, it's my favorite DE so far :)

OctopusRift

GBATemp's Local Octopus, Open 9am-2am. "Not Yet"
Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Main is the top screen, sub is the bottom screen. The naming convention stems back from the DS scene which had two video engines: the main engine (which can do 3D graphics and has more VRAM) and the sub engine; each screen is assigned 1 engine (can be either way around). But for the 3DS, main is always the top, and sub is always the bottom.

It is indeed possible to control both screens' backlight independently, but it is not a good idea to do this, because the 2DS only has a single screen. Controlling both ensures that it behaves the same on a 2DS and 3DS.

All operating systems have their flaws; but overall I choose to use Windows. If I had to use anything else, I'd use FreeBSD with GNOME 3 though; you should too if your main concern is stability.
Nice job today man!

BlumiTheGhost

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hi. I never used any homebrew application before, and wanted to know if it's 100% safe to use on my 3DS, or if there's any chance of bricking. Thanks!

Kurt91

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm thrilled that you're picking this back up. I had never used one of these types of homebrew programs before (My DS Lite can't connect to our home Wi-Fi), and it worked much better than I had expected, with no noticeable input lag or anything. It was fun playing "Shantae: Risky's Revenge Director's Cut" with this. (I wanted to pick something simple for a first try, my other games require PS2 numbers of buttons.)

I'm really hoping that you get to implementing the additional buttons that the N3DS adds, making it easier to set it up for more games that require the extra buttons. I admit, streaming video from PC to the 3DS would be amazing, since it would result in essentially "god mode" on my 3DS, being able to play absolutely anything on it, even things it couldn't normally play. Still, that seems rather difficult to implement to such an extent, so I'm not expecting anything like that to happen anytime soon.

Is there a way to set up the program like a standard PC controller, so that I don't have to set up the config for each individual game and just use their default controller setup? I have a PC controller already (wireless XBox 360 controller), but while it works rather well, I find the control pad and everything on the 3DS works so much better and more comfortably.

Reactions: OctopusRift

Hashtastrophe

Wizard
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Is there a way to set up the program like a standard PC controller, so that I don't have to set up the config for each individual game and just use their default controller setup? I have a PC controller already (wireless XBox 360 controller), but while it works rather well, I find the control pad and everything on the 3DS works so much better and more comfortably.
Did you try mapping the buttons as JOY1, JOY2, etc? Then you can use them in games that utilize DirectInput. (Unless you're talking about something else entirely)

Kurt91

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you try mapping the buttons as JOY1, JOY2, etc? Then you can use them in games that utilize DirectInput. (Unless you're talking about something else entirely)

That's exactly what I was asking about. Didn't know it was that simple, now I just need to work out the equivalent for each button compared to a standard controller. I think that I can figure that out with either an emulator's button assigning menu or with XPadder. Thank you.

Reactions: Hashtastrophe

roei

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
When I try to launch 3DSController.exe it gives this error:
"The Program can't start because libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll is missing from your computer, Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."
how can I fix this?

jeebesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Help when i try to run the 3ds exe it says "the program cant start because libgcc_s_dw2-1.dllis missing from you computer. try reinstalling the program to fix this problem." so i re download it and it still start the 3dscontroller.exe. help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

D

Deleted User

Last edited by ,

Ryuzaki_MrL

Green Thunder
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
So... This isn't working... I get a black screen, and the 3DSController.exe is opened...

It's meant to be at a black screen, try opening the keyboard (L + R + X) then open the notepad on your PC and type something. If it doesn't work then check if the 3DSController.ini (3DS) is on the root of your SD card and the configured IP/port are the same as your PC's.

Hopalongtom

Trophies
XP
Country
Works great with my new PC, loads of fun using my 3DS as nothing beats Nintendo quality buttons! ^_^

All it needs now is compatibility for the New 3DS Buttons, and enough "JOY" button inputs for the ini file to be able to recognize. As some programs such as the Dolphin Emulator can read either JOY Buttons or Keyboard not both. However for other games that don't normally use a control stick its close to perfect!

Ninny420

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Has anyone been able to use the circlepad on windows 10? vjoy 204 & lower won't install on windows 10, and vjoy 205 doesnt recognize the circle pad.

LIsReal24012

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe I have everything set up right, and even get the normal black screen I load it up, but when I try to test out the keys nothing works. It shows up in vjoy too but none of the buttons work when I test them. I also just tried opening the program on the 3DS without the PC program open and it still gives me a black screen as if it works. I also tried changing ports and that didn't change anything. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by LIsReal24012,
D

Deleted User

I believe I have everything set up right, and even get the normal black screen I load it up, but when I try to test out the keys nothing works. It shows up in vjoy too but none of the buttons work when I test them. I also just tried opening the program on the 3DS without the PC program open and it still gives me a black screen as if it works. I also tried changing ports and that didn't change anything. Any help is appreciated.
It's supposed to be a black screen. Open the program on the computer first and then the 3DS. If it says 3DS connected on the computer then you did everything right.

Try opening a text document and press a few buttons on the 3DS. It will type the keys if you haven't changed the key maps.

LIsReal24012

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's supposed to be a black screen. Open the program on the computer first and then the 3DS. If it says 3DS connected on the computer then you did everything right.

Try opening a text document and press a few buttons on the 3DS. It will type the keys if you haven't changed the key maps.

I'm aware of that. I get the black screen but it doesn't say on the computer that the 3DS is connected.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol