Hardware 3DS Analog stick Hairline fractures on disk

roflwaffles

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On my 3ds, the disk/washer that the nub above it rides on has developed a hairline fracture, and I was wondering if anyone else has had the same issue. My brother's 3DS has the same issue, but has several more of them. While this obviously isn't that large of a problem, it seems like it might be making the stick feel a bit more "gritty". it's only visible when the stick's moved fully in one direction, as the washer can spin around the nub.
So, anyone else in the same boat?
unsure.gif

431unknown

VR Gaming Enthusiast
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I have that also but i don't think it is a crack it is either a seam from the molding process or its a split so it can be put on easier during manufacturing it is most definitely not a crack tho as it is only on one side of mine. I believe it is a split so it is easier to put on during manufacturing. My reason for believing this is I don't even use the analog stick so I could not have broken it and I don't go throwing my system around.

D

Deleted_171835

I don't seem to have it.

I'm unsure as to what exactly I should be looking for, though. Does anybody mind taking pics?

roflwaffles

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Due to the size of the thing I can't take a picture (at least not with a autofocus camera) but here's a picture from paint, with the white being the stick, the grey being the disk, the black line being the gap/crack, and the blue being the 3ds housing.
3ds-1.jpg

Presto99

You slammin, bro?
Trophies
Website
https
XP
Country
United States
roflwaffles said:
Due to the size of the thing I can't take a picture (at least not with a autofocus camera) but here's a picture from paint, with the white being the stick, the grey being the disk, the black line being the gap/crack, and the blue being the 3ds housing.
3ds-1.jpg
I'm pretty sure this is normal. I have it and I bet everyone else does too.

D

Deleted_171835

@roflwaffles:
I don't see that scratch on that disc under the analog nub.

The only visible scratch(es) I see is
[title:Pic of my 3DS analog nub]
3ds%20analog%20nub%20scratches.JPG

awssk8er

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't have my 3DS in front of me, but I'm almost positive I have it too.

Edit:

This is off-topic kind of, but I don't think an entire new thread is needed for this.

Does anyone know if Nintendo does analog pad replacements? Or is there a way to swap it with another one? I don't need one now, but I would imagine after a few years, it's going to be worn down.

ferret7463

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have not used the analog for anything , i still prefer the directional pad. I have one so i would imagine that this was done in the factory.

roflwaffles

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Soulsnatcher, it might not be in that position (to the right of the stick) as the washer can rotate freely.

@Awssk8er, there will most likely be replacement parts on dealextreme and other similar sites pretty soon, and Nintendo will probably do repairs.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
Every 3DS has that. It is perfectly normal. Everyone else who says they don't see it are probably not looking at the right place since that disc can spin around freely.

I have taken a 3DS apart and I noticed that, and I can assure you that the 3DS was brand new that very day. It is a perfectly straight cut that the manufacture does.

aiden.22

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you're talking about the black plastic 'plate' UNDER the gray nub, i do have it as well. never noticed it till awhile ago. that plastic 'plate' also moves around when you move the nub. i can't take a picture since its so small, my camera just makes the picture really blurry.

the thing is, is that it's really straight and not the conventional crack that zig zags or what not. its as straight as a paper edge.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
Schlupi said:
I thoroughly inspected mine and no, I don't see such a crack.

I can't see this being problematic, though. You shouldn't worry about it.
Trust me, it's there. Funny enough, my nephew just got a 3DS today and asked me to help him set it up, but the first thing I checked when I pulled it out of the box was for screen wobble and I checked the disc, and in fact the disc did have a break in it. It is purposely there.

awssk8er

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
roflwaffles said:
@Soulsnatcher, it might not be in that position (to the right of the stick) as the washer can rotate freely.

@Awssk8er, there will most likely be replacement parts on dealextreme and other similar sites pretty soon, and Nintendo will probably do repairs.

Doing it yourself would void the warranty, by the time anyone's stick gets that worn, the warranty will probably be up anyway.

Thanks.

anime999

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah it seems pretty clear that it's just where the ring is closed. I don't know if there is a technical reason that it's there but it's definitely intentional.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @SylverReZ i did know that actually
    +2
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    LTT also did it
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    jdhello
    @SylverReZ that guy seriously spent over 2 grand on that hot wheels pc?
    +1
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    LTT is a noob
    Guy doesnt know wtf hes talking about half the time
    @SylverReZ that reminds me that my friend sells CRTs he gets cheap or free for hundreds of dollars. people are dumb
    +1
    And is incredibly annoying.
    man I just washed my shoes and they look exactly the same as before I washed them :|
    luckily they didn't fall apart
    Some CRTs are very much worth the price
    i used to go out to the recycling center every couple weeks and look at the crts and other electronics people would drop off. Usually screens were broken or severely scratched from being tossed around. Did find a good one here and there, but never anything like a 1080i widescreen crt.
    Or a good contition 40" Sony Trini that weighs 300 lbs. lol
    Literally 300 lbs. lolol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I have a few of those boat anchors in my basement I tried giving away but no one wanted them, So anyone close to Columbus, Ohio area that wants them, (26", 2x 19") please come get, for free.
    Dont know anyone wants those smaller ones. Most are after larger sizes and the kinda top of the line models
    Motion handling and input lag on those things destroy plasmas, led, oled
    I had some really nice CRTs I should've kept
    now I have all lcd
    one in particular I regret getting rid of oh well :|
    the Sonys and stuff I don't care about
    and used LCD are hard to sell I can imagine.. not worth much