Gaming 3D Nintendo DS Rom size ??

Drigz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
You're actually right. Most 256mb games has videos in it.

Name a 256mb roms with no videos? My point is most roms have big size because of their videos/cut scenes.

1gb - 2bg roms? I doubt it. Unless it has lots of cut scenes/videos.

Drigz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
America's test kitchen? Yeah, maybe no videos, but All 300 recipes are fully voiced.

Btw, how long is the average gameplay of Mugen no Frontier Exceed Super Robot Taisen OG Saga? Does this game have videos or dubs?

Njrg

Kinsoku Jikou Desu. ^.~
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
United States
Drigz said:
America's test kitchen? Yeah, maybe no videos, but All 300 recipes are fully voiced.

Btw, how long is the average gameplay of Mugen no Frontier Exceed Super Robot Taisen OG Saga? Does this game have videos or dubs?
I asked the question because I was trying to give you a chance to redeem your ignorance.

Just like Personal Trainer Cooking, America's Test Kitchen too has many instructional videos on food and ingredient preparation.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's a lot of things in games that cartridge size is used for, here's just a few examples of things that can affect data size-

- videos
- voice acting
- sound effects
- music (orchestral streaming music is much larger than synthetic midi)
- texture quality
- sprites and 2D assets (kind of factors in the same category as textures)
- 3D animation scripting (instructions given to 3D models to carry out certain animation)
- area structure
- game script (RPG's have much of this)

Listed in basic form of what takes up the most and least space in general. Ninokuni will be one of the first DS games to use a 512MB DS cartridge. It is full of videos, voice acting, and the musical score is fully streaming orchestral tunes. So those are your most demanding assets in a game. A lot of that size has to do with how good the quality is overall as well. We're getting to a point in DS games where we have extremely high quality videos, music, and voices that sound like they're from CD's or something. It's rather amazing. And one other thing Ninokuni has that takes up a lot of space is extremely high quality fully hand drawn 2D backgrounds.

So you could say data size does matter, if you're interested in a lot of media in your games.

Porygon-X

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Switzerland
If I were Nintendo, I'd try to make the ROMs as big as possible.
tongue.gif

That'd piss off a lot of gamers out there.

Then Nintendo makes their own brand of MicroSDs. Then all the gamers who don't have big enough memory cards buy off them too!
Win win situation!

Just a suggestion ...

And no, I'm not from Nintendo.

mangaTom

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Well let's say the game really has cinematics (e.g.videos) and its size is 1gb, we can't conclude that that game is that large because even with videos,it can't occupy the that large.(Reminds of DSM) Since as I said before that it's a new console,we can expect smaller game size. Even the games right now are still reaching the full potential of ds with only 128 or 256mb of size and it really has a good quality,almost like GameCube,like Golden Sun.

jceggbert5

Check out my hack, New Retro Mario Bros.
Trophies
Website
romhaxor.bplaced.net
XP
Country
United States
Just for those of you that keep saying like "Oh, around 200MB or so...", etc, I would like to tell you the possible sizes (afaik) for the ROMs:
1024 (1GB)
2048 (2GB)
4096 (4GB)
8192 (8GB)
etc... (doubt it'll go higher than 1GB, myself...)

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Porygon-X said:
If I were Nintendo, I'd try to make the ROMs as big as possible.
tongue.gif

That'd piss off a lot of gamers out there.

Then Nintendo makes their own brand of MicroSDs. Then all the gamers who don't have big enough memory cards buy off them too!
Win win situation!

Just a suggestion ...

And no, I'm not from Nintendo.
Nintendo doesn't make those large roms due to price restrictions. The prices of CD's and DVD's are quite cheap, and it's one of the reasons consoles went with them during the mid to late 90's. Much easier to cram a tonload of data onto a very cheap media. The reason there are not more 256 or 512 megabyte DS games is because flash is quite expensive the higher in storage you go. They've pretty much got as much data as they could ever possibly want on something like dual layer DVD or bluray. For a cheap price to boot. Not so much with flash memory. On the upside, flash memory is always getting cheaper as time goes on, hence why they always make bigger and bigger games as time goes on. We're at 512MB currently, with the first game already released on that size. There are two more known 512MB DS games coming as well. By the time 3DS comes around and establishes itself, we'll most likely see 1GB games. And that's very close to the size of most Gamecube disks (which are about 1.35GB).

Porygon-X

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Switzerland
granville said:
*snip

We're at 512MB currently, with the first game already released on that size. There are two more known 512MB DS games coming as well. By the time 3DS comes around and establishes itself, we'll most likely see 1GB games. And that's very close to the size of most Gamecube disks (which are about 1.35GB).

Really? Which ones?

Justin121994

Bitcoin. coinbase.com/andrew
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok.. I doubt bigger size usually means better games.. Sure some games would be better but not necessarily...
Look at New Super Mario Bros for wii that game is not huge, but is fun.. And way better than other games twice the size or four times it's size...

Just saying rather them focus on the actual game...
Then say them cramming shit load of cutscenes.. Like final fantasyy uh hrmmm..

BobTheJoeBob

The most optimistic person on the temp. :)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Overlord Nadrian said:
Double the size of DS games, so from 64 (really small game, most of the times shovelware) to 1024 (epic game) MB. I guess.
uhhh... 64 doubled is 128.

Anyway I think 3DS games will be a similar size to that of PSP iso's. I mean it's power is apparently comparable to that of a gamecube so the games must be pretty big. My assumption, 512mb-2gb games.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Porygon-X said:
granville said:
*snip

We're at 512MB currently, with the first game already released on that size. There are two more known 512MB DS games coming as well. By the time 3DS comes around and establishes itself, we'll most likely see 1GB games. And that's very close to the size of most Gamecube disks (which are about 1.35GB).

Really? Which ones?
The one currently out is called Hakuouki DS. It looks like some sort of text based game with pictures. It came out a couple of months ago. The other two i am aware of (due to being specifically announced as 512MB games) are Ninokuni and Love Plus +. Ninokuni is a gorgeous turn based RPG developed by Level 5 and designed by Studio Ghibli (famed Japanese animation studio behind Spirited Away and other Miyazaki films). Love Plus + is apparently a sort of update to the dating sim Love Plus with a ton more content and such. The first Love Plus was 256MB IIRC. Ninokuni and Love Plus + are supposedly coming out in Japan sometime this year. Hakuouki is already out and it is the first released 512MB DS game.

Other than that, there are probably some other 512MB DS games planned. We just have confirmation on those three since they were announced to be using 512MB DS carts.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, i mean canon as in official, i did watch the video