Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
The advent of 3D gaming has lead to questions whether the effect can lead to permanent eye damage.

Luckily for Nintendo, Sony and other companies, Los Angeles-based ophthalmologist Mark Borchert doesn't believe that 3D is likely to cause any significant problems.

"There are people who get uncomfortable with it, and get eye strain or headaches, or on much rarer occasions, a sense of imbalance or nausea, but there's no evidence it can cause permanent harm to your vision or use of both eyes together or anything like that," he told Gamasutra.

Nevertheless, Sony is being cautious. They recently updated the PlayStation Network's Terms of Service with an item titled "3D Device Use Notice," which advises users to consult a doctor before a young child to play 3D games.

Borchert does warn that 3D could have a negative impact on the eyesight of young gamers, though he doesn't believe it will be an immediate issue.

"[Binocularity and stereoscopic vision] is something that is learned in the first few years of life, primarily in about the first three years of life. So it's unlikely that children at that age, where stereoscopic vision is developing most critically, are going to be playing these games," he said.

Borchert admits that ophthalmologists have "no idea" what the impact of 3D will ultimately be on the eyesight of young children, but said he can't imagine it harming anyone over "four years of age."

Barring any further developments, sounds like we're in the clear.

Source

There are some differences between Sony's and Nintendo's implementation of 3D, so who knows. But odds are the technology is safe but not recommended for over use.

smellyunicorn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure somewhere someone, is gonna have a seizure while playing DDR 3D and then someone is gonna get sued.
This always happens they will find a link, just like they found a link to cellphone and caner, (killing bees) etc.

Ziggy Zigzagoon

Trophies
XP
Country
I am suspicious of the contrary evidence, especially due to a lot of articles talking about the negative impact of 3D. Of course, not only the validity of one of those articles has been called to question, but I also shall not deny the possibility of the "not harmful" article being valid.

Revolution [9]

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
But odds are the technology is safe but not recommended for over use.

Not overusing something like the 3DS is like to tell a fat kid to stop eating for a day (bad example, lulz). Point is, people are going to overuse it, so might as well find more reliable sources regarding eyesight and nausea for 3D.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
The problem with 3D is that your brain gets used to only using stereoscope to determine depth then it gets a bit confused when you start back in the real world where it looks for other clues. As long as you're not staring at it for prolonged periods of time when you're 1 or 2 you should be fine and your brain will just readjust itself

Theraima

I own this desert, bitches!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
QUOTE said:
Borchert does warn that 3D could have a negative impact on the eyesight of young gamers, though he doesn't believe it will be an immediate issue.

Dont ever bring back those hideous 3D glasses, it will destroy our eyes on sight.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
And too much TV will ruin your eyesight (and the radiation will kill you). And the computer screen will ruin your eyesight. And reading will ruin your eyesight. So yeah, 3D will ruin your eyesight too. Why not.

Langin

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Veho said:
And too much TV will ruin your eyesight (and the radiation will kill you). And the computer screen will ruin your eyesight. And reading will ruin your eyesight. So yeah, 3D will ruin your eyesight too. Why not.

XD, lol that sounds ridicules! I sat about 48 hours NON-STOP on my DS! and my eyes are perfect! :hah:

And your sarcastic huh?(Of course you are!)

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bladexdsl said:
what a load of BS i get headaches using the fucking thing every time at the cinemas i refuse to use it now!

Do you read anything outside of the title? I doubt you even read that since your comment doesn't even pertain to that. Christ...

Guild McCommunist said:
"There are people who get uncomfortable with it, and get eye strain or headaches, or on much rarer occasions, a sense of imbalance or nausea, but there's no evidence it can cause permanent harm to your vision or use of both eyes together or anything like that," he told Gamasutra.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Guild McCommunist said:
Bladexdsl said:
what a load of BS i get headaches using the fucking thing every time at the cinemas i refuse to use it now!

Do you read anything outside of the title? I doubt you even read that since your comment doesn't even pertain to that. Christ...
3d is 3d whether it's using a game or watching a movie both give the SAME results. ophthalmologists are only testing it on kids? try testing it on older people 25+ and see what results they get! oh but i'm sure all you KIDS think 3d is the best thing ever to happen to gaming well that's all who will end up using it no one else give 2 shits about 3d.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bladexdsl said:
Guild McCommunist said:
Bladexdsl said:

3d is 3d whether it's using a game or watching a movie both give the SAME results

The thread is about whether you get permanent (yes, I italicized, underlined, and bolded that so you may actually read it for once) damage from watching things in 3D, ie your brain turns to complete much from playing a 3DS for 100 hours. Getting a headache is a side effect for some people (again, underlined, italicized and bolded so you actually read it) and isn't actually gonna be permanent damage. Hell, you get a headache from watching a normal movie sometimes. Thinking a trained medical professionals word is "BS" because you get a little headache from watching a movie in 3D (a headache that's a completely temporary side effect) is wrong is, in fact, BS.

Jesus Christ...

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
oh it will be permanent 3d will fuck your eyes if used a lot as long as you have to wear ridiculous glasses. your eyes have to adjust to using the glasses and when you take them off they have to adjust back to normal do this a lot and it will fuck your eyes there's no doubt about it. you get headaches when using 3d as a warning their telling you your eyes do not like it my eyes are already fucked and when i use 3d it makes them worse.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bladexdsl said:
oh it will be permanent 3d will fuck your eyes if used a lot as long as you have to wear ridiculous glasses. your eyes have to adjust to using the glasses and when you take them off they have to adjust back to normal do this a lot and it will fuck your eyes there's no doubt about it. you get headaches when using 3d as a warning their telling you your eyes do not like it my eyes are already fucked and when i use 3d it makes them worse.

Am I going to take the opinion of some random guy from the internet who can't even type correctly or that of a medical professional whose specialty just so happens to be in eyes?

Again, Jesus Christ...

Revolution [9]

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bladexdsl said:
don't blame me when your eyes are fucked than and your getting glasses every 2-3 years. have fun with your gimmicky 3d.

-- END OF LINE ---
Joke's on you: he already has glasses. Lololol.
Anyways, the effects can vary. Some people, despite what they do, will not have their eyesight deter. Others are more sensitive, so I think it could work both ways.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Guild McCommunist said:
The thread is about whether you get permanent (yes, I italicized, underlined, and bolded that so you may actually read it for once) damage from watching things in 3D, ie your brain turns to complete much from playing a 3DS for 100 hours. Getting a headache is a side effect for some people (again, underlined, italicized and bolded so you actually read it)
I suggest increasing the size to 7 as well.

I'd pretty much thought that there wouldn't be permanent damage caused by this. I'd imagine Nintendo might research the possibility before coming this far.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bladexdsl said:
don't blame me when your eyes are fucked than and your getting glasses every 2-3 years. have fun with your gimmicky 3d.

-- END OF LINE ---
So the real problem is that u are hating on 3D
mellow.gif

3D does have be gimmicky
dry.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: CRAZY HAMBURGER