Homebrew 33C3 - Why should I care? Why is this info important?

Kingy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, after seeing many threads popping up, I decided to make a thread summarising everything that happened.

So, we now have the bootrom keys thanks to vectorhax (so there is FW signing), which can help the development of homebrews, etc, but sadly, here's a quote:
You can't do sighax without arm9 access. There's no other way to write to NAND in software.
But hopefully this can be adapted in the future so we have a "real" CFW, which needs no use of booting into hbl, installing into the system forever, and have more great capabilities!

What about the exploits? Well, we have some good news for you people. We have been introduced to Soundhax, which may come out soon. Tired of waiting for slowhax to start the payload? Fasthax has been introduced, allowing fast Kernel11 execution well, fast.

This is a growing thread, so if you have some more info or want to grow the thread, please put the info in the comments, and tag me.

Also, you can ask your questions here, so others, including me, can help you

Nothing here
one thing I *think* this will also allow is the expansion of the nand partitions, it's always been a bit annoying king I have only 1.2gb used of a 1.8gb nand, in theory I think we could now expand/resize nand partitions to increase for example the dsi nand size for installing more dsi titles etc

Happy hacking!
Missed the stream? Watch here! Or here for a YouTube upload!

Last edited by Kingy,

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
Trophies
XP
Country
So, we now have the bootrom keys (so there is FW signing), which completely disrupts the point of downgrading, so we can now get kernel execution and a CFW on any version where you can load the HBL, which is great for any unlucky people stuck on 11.2, or have a 11.0-1 device and doesn't have DSIWare.

You can't do sighax without arm9 access. There's no other way to write to NAND in software.

Reactions: Kingy

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the info! This will be added to the OP.

Well, the OP is now unclear/misleading.

So, we now have the bootrom keys (so there is FW signing), which completely disrupts the point of downgrading, so we can now get kernel execution and a CFW on any version where you can load the HBL, which is great for any unlucky people stuck on 11.2, or have a 11.0-1 device and doesn't have DSIWare, but sadly, here's a quote:

This is incorrect. Getting into HBL isn't enough to be able to install sighax.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
one thing I *think* this will also allow is the expansion of the nand partitions, it's always been a bit annoying thinking I have only 1.2gb used of a 1.8gb nand, in theory I think we could now expand/resize nand partitions to increase for example the dsi nand size for installing more dsi titles etc

(assuming I understood the presentation correctly ^_^)

Last edited by gamesquest1,

adrifcastr

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hello, after seeing many threads popping up, I decided to make a thread summarising everything that happened.

So, we now have the bootrom keys (so there is FW signing), which can help the development of homebrews, etc, but sadly, here's a quote:

But hopefully this can be adapted in the future so we have a "real" CFW, which needs no use of booting into hbl, installing into the system forever, and have more great capabilities!

What about the exploits? Well, we have some good news for you people. We have been introduced to Soundhax, which may come out soon. Tired of waiting for slowhax to start the payload? Fasthax has been introduced, allowing fast Kernel11 execution well, fast.

This is a growing thread, so if you have some more info or want to grow the thread, please put the info in the comments, and tag me.

Also, you can ask your questions here, so others, including me, can help you

Nothing here

Happy hacking!

I´m Uploading the complete Talk in Full HD, when it´s done you can add it to the OP if you want.

Last edited by adrifcastr,
Reactions: Kingy

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
one thing I *think* this will also allow is the expansion of the nand partitions, it's always been a bit annoying thinking I have only 1.2gb used of a 1.8gb nand, in theory I think we could now expand/resize nand partitions to increase for example the dsi nand size for installing more dsi titles etc

(assuming I understood the presentation correctly ^_^)

When you say this, would we in theory be able to install beyond the 40 title limit of DS/DSiware titles? Or are you simply stating that we could fill up more of those 40 slots with full games (not really a reality now given how little space the 3DS gives us for DSiware titles)? If its the latter, it wouldn't make much a difference to me, because I have the majority of those 40 slots filled up with DS game forwarders from my flashcard, and then the rest are my favorite DSiware titles. if its the former, that would be awesome, I'd love to put a forwarder on the menu for every single game I have on my DS flashcard, but I have a feeling that 40 title limit (as well as the 3DS 300 title limit) are still locked in at those limits, and what you're saying applies more to the actual data size we're limited to for DS(iware) titles.

Last edited by duffmmann,

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
When you say this, would we in theory be able to install beyond the 40 title limit of DS/DSiware titles? Or are you simply stating that we could fill up more of those 40 slots with full games (not really a reality now given how little space the 3DS gives us for DSiware titles)? If its the latter, it wouldn't make much a difference to me, because I have the majority of those 40 slots filled up with DS game forwarders from my flashcard, and then the rest are my favorite DSiware titles. if its the former, that would be awesome, I'd love to put a forwarder on the menu for every single game I have on my DS flashcard, but I have a feeling that 40 title limit (as well as the 3DS 300 title limit) are still locked in at those limits, and what you're saying applies more to the actual data size we're limited to for DS(iware) titles.
yeah I just want the space because I want it XD I don't really care that much but at one point I did install a few dsi titles and got a out of space message, so I figured it would be more practical to add space there seeing as ctrnand is unlikely to ever be filled by anyone anyway :D

but yeah I don't know if anyone would ever be bothered to do it as it would actually be more complicated than it seems shifting partitions around etc, and I doubt many people even care, combined with the fact that not all n3ds/2ds consoles have a 1.8gb nand it makes a really small audience

Last edited by gamesquest1,

mehmeh11

Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
OK, so I still can't do anything besides regular HBL right? I'm on 11.0.0-33 U, and I don't have any of the 4 dsiwarehax games nor a CFW

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/bG1pQld.mp4 +1