Hacking 3.3E with wiikey 1.0, safe to update the wii?

forza11

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I have a Wii 3.3E with wiikey 1.9g. No other softmods applied, just the wiikey to play backups.

Is it safe to upgrade the wii with the one that comes with Punch Out? (Guess it's V4.0 thats included). Or is there a method to remove the wii update from the punch out disk?

I have been out of the scene for a while so everything that happened after the 3.3E update is new to me
smile.gif

thanks

manias

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
brickblocker was way before 3.3E
wink.gif
use that if you wish, but regular pal updates won't block your wiikey at all.
If in the future you may want to use usb loader tho, it might be nice to install the homebrew channel, cios rev9 or higher and then just go up to 4.0, and u won't have to worry about anything

forza11

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
thanks,

will i be able to install the homebrew channel after the punch-out upgrade on the disk? i'm trying to read up on this forum, but there is just so many new stuff that it's giving me a headeache. Did i read it correctly that you can still get the homebrew channel on a 4.0 wii with the new bannerbomb trick?

p.s.: yes, the brickblocker is indeed very old! never used it though
smile.gif

EDIT: went with the homechannel, trying to upgrade now

manias

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
you can get hbc @ 4.0 with bannerbomb, but twilight is so much easier @ 3.3
smile.gif

anyhoo you did it already
smile.gif

forza11

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
yeah, i just went through the guide. It's all installed, but it seems my wiikey is disabled now. I can't play games anymore via the disc channel. Only way to go is homebrew->neogamma installer->play game. And it stopped reading the Punch-Out disc completely, so i will try to burn the disc again tomorrow.

it's weird though cause it reckonized the game (hence the question about the update) and now it doesn't read it anymore (neither via the disc channel or the WAD gamma loader thingy).

manias

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
all? what is all! all you needed was the hbc and cios rev9 or above, nothin else! what did u install?

forza11

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
i just followed this guide: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=144835

It's all very confusion, there are so many guides on here so i just took the one that seemed the best
smile.gif
i hope i didn't screw up now. Do I have to roll back / uninstall anything?

Edit: so basically i installed an entire list WAD's (of which I have no idea where they for), the homechannel and preloader. The gamma loader runs on the SD card, which i have to access via the homebrewchannel. Then i can load a game ( i tried 2, 1 worked, 1 didn,t which was punch out). I hope I can uninstall some stuff to get it to work like before.

manias

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
ooo never install wads if u don't know what they're for.. do you still have the list of what u actually installed?

forza11

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
yes, luckely i do. These are under the apps folder, which i loaded from the homebrew channel

cIOS36_rev10-Installer
CMDVDX35
preloaderv0.29-cred
WAD-Manager_v1.4

Here is the list of WADS

newpicturek.jpg

manias

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
woa.. somethings you do not install simply with wadmanager, such as CIOS.. they have their own installers..
But i'm not sure why the modchip is now bypassed, you cannot just simply uninstall all those wads because you will brick
tongue.gif
(if you remove those IOS's). Anyone got ideas what might be wrong?

forza11

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
i'm trying the USB loader now, it seems more easy then having to burn discs first. 1 of the games that didn't work yesterday did work today. I guess my wiikey was just messed up, so a hard reset (i.e. unplug power) did the trick.
'
But maybe you can answer this; I upgraded to CIOS rev 13 this morning, but when i start the app it asks me which loader i want to use, i can choose between all the different IOS's, which one should i pick to install the new CIOS's?

forza11

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I start the CIOS38_revv13b application via the homebrew channel. It start the installer and then asks me which IOS version to use during the installation, if I choose IOS61 for example it fails. But when i choose IOS249 or IOS38 it works.. what are these options for?

manias

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
you need an ios that will accept u installing things, like a dll in windows.. ios249 = CIOS, ios38 = probably best I recon for this (as you will overwrite ios249)

forza11

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
thats the last one i did and it worked. So if an installer doesn't work on a certain IOS I should just try another?

As the for the USB hard drive loader, i finally got it working now and i'm playing punch-out (finally, after hours of messing arround
smile.gif
) Anyways, the USB loader seems like a better option then burning discs and using wiikey. But my external HD doesn't work that well, i had to restart it 10 times for the USB loader V1.5 to reckonize it. Do you have experience with the USB loader? is so:

- What is the best external USB drive to get for the Wii?
- Is there a way to get the games listed in the channels, instead of opening up the USB loader and then selecting the game?

thanks for your help so far

drSTRIFE

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
forza11 said:
thats the last one i did and it worked. So if an installer doesn't work on a certain IOS I should just try another?

As the for the USB hard drive loader, i finally got it working now and i'm playing punch-out (finally, after hours of messing arround
smile.gif
) Anyways, the USB loader seems like a better option then burning discs and using wiikey. But my external HD doesn't work that well, i had to restart it 10 times for the USB loader V1.5 to reckonize it. Do you have experience with the USB loader? is so:

- What is the best external USB drive to get for the Wii?
- Is there a way to get the games listed in the channels, instead of opening up the USB loader and then selecting the game?

thanks for your help so far

For the USB drives, this might help.

http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/index.php/USB...patibility_List

forza11

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
thanks, i switched the USB port and installed another USB loader (USB loader GX). It works great now, i'm putting it all on the HD so i don't have the swap disks anymore.

i also found some methods of installing game channels. But I don't know if i'm going to do that. The USB loader GX is quick and it gives a good overview of your games including the covers (it download covers automaticly).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Hitler would've made a decent a rapper