Hardware 2DS huge problems

EpikJimmer

Screw hater
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
As you may know, I have a CFWed 3DS... but that one has a broken R button and whenever I blow it, bad things happen
I also have a stock 2DS but it has the following problems:
-When I tocuh a certain part of the bottom screen, the input is a little bit off
-Volume slider's loose, thus stuck on 100% volume
-Sleep Switch doesn't work
-(Not a big issue) Something... chewed (eww) is in the stylus holder and I can't get it off.
While on the 3DS...
-Random LED's are enabled when I blow into any part of the 3DS
-COMPLETELY LAZY R BUTTON
-A button can't be spammed. When I try to spam it, it's being held

So...
3DS: Will require service in other regions since there are serious problems with the system. Might cost around 60 euros. Will take 1-2 months (average)
2DS: Will just require to open up the system and get the volume slider in place. As for the sleep switch, it might require a magnet to make it alive again or clean off the dust on the switch. As for the touch screen, it'll just require to... do stuff... to the... ummmm... digitizer.... I guess... Might cost around 35 euros considering the... technician will just open the 2DS up and do things. Again, might take about 4-8 days (bc the problems are not that serious)

So, what do you guys think? Do you think I should send the 3DS or the 2DS for repair? My personal opinion: send the 2DS since the problems aren't very serious.

Any advice would be appriciated.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With that many problems, your 2DS is more of a DIY restoration project where money and failure shouldn't be a concern. The cost of repairing it will likely skyrocket over the price of trading it in and getting a fully functional replacement unit after paying the difference out of pocket.

This can go one of two ways
1. You're going to enjoy fixing that 2DS knowing you're giving it a second chance of useful electronic life.

-or-
2. It's going to be a total flop where you'll feel it wasn't worth trying to resuscitate it. You might end up smashing the 2DS with a hammer, against a wall, or curb stomping it outside.

Unless you're the original owner of this (very abused) 2DS who now wants to treat it right, I recommend ditching that 2DS before you form any long term sentimental attachments with it. While you may think those issues aren't serious when looked at individually, you won't know for sure how bad they are until you try said repair.

The gamble and what its worth is up to you.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
3DS:
Jim, please, please stop blowing into the R-button. The silicon/rubber pad under the buttons (ABXY) has become a little sticky (I wonder why…). Cleaning the pad should be sufficient. Getting to clean this pad is a lot more work than replacing the R-button which only takes about five to ten minutes. But I think it's worth the money to send the 3DS in.

2DS:
First: I totally agree with TurdPooCharger and Hayato213: It is economically unviable to send in the 2DS for repair. Do it yourself. Read and look at the pictures on https://www.ifixit.com/Device/Nintendo_2DS
or get another unit.
  • Replacing the touch panel/digitizer requires complete disassembly of the 2DS; it’s the worst part to replace, so this IS serious. The spare part is only about 3€, but the replacement takes time (=money if done by a technician).
  • Volume slider is no problem if not damaged internally.
  • I’m not sure what you want to do with a magnet of the sleep switch?! After removing the motherboard you can try to blow ONCE(!!) directly into the switch to remove any dust. Better use a can of compressed air. Gently move the switch a hundred times back and forth. This helped for a damaged power switch on a gba. If this does not help, you will almost certainly have to (micro)-solder a new switch onto the board. If you have no experience with soldering do NOT try. This will backfire. In this case: Ignore the sleep switch.
  • Something chewed is… I do not even want to think about it or ask how… Just throw the plastic parts into soap water after removing all electronics.

Off topic: I hope you noticed frogminer. You can now install cfw for free. No need for system transfer or another download code anymore.

Reactions: TurdPooCharger

EpikJimmer

Screw hater
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
So... I bought DSiWare to add CFW AND THEN THERE'S CFW FOR FREE? KILL ME---
*cough cough* Ok, on topic
Wait... now I can add CFW for free on 1.18? Great chance, I need to CFW the 2DS (bc if I transfer the 3DS apps to the stock 2ds, most of them will be deleted (especially the un-legitimate games)!
Thanks... whoever did this!

Anyway, the volume slider is just loose, not damaged, loose. I once dropped it (silly me) and the slider got off. Will only require to open the 2DS. So:
Volume slider: Can be DIYed
The sleep switch? You said if I "punish" it by switching it a couple of times it will work.
Sleep switch: Can be DIYed
As for the touchscreen, there's some dust on the edges. If cleaning dosen't work... I'm screwed
Touch screen: Can be DIYed (?)
Chewey... thingy... erm: I NEED HELP ON THAT ONE
Suprise suprise, I also had something stuck in another ds's stylus holder. It just required to hit it on a sofa/bed a hundred times on a specific side and boom! But that's not the case with the 2DS...
I did the same but the stylus didn't even come out ONE BIT...

Now excuse me, going to add frogminer on 2DS, ciao (I'm not Italian, even if the word is Italian)

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Done, now I have CFW on my 2DS
...but... if I system transfer from 3DS to 2DS (both modded), will I lose anything?
For pirated 3DS & DSiWare games, you will lose those in a System Transfer. You resort to manually backing up and restoring games, saves, and extdata to keep them. Look here on what to do:

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You can have a BIG tutorial with a lot of photos:

Replace R-button

Just be extra-careful on step 5. There is even a warning in the description. When you are about the lift the bottom case, the L and R-buttons are still connected. Make sure you do not rip the ribbon cables apart. Remove them gently from their connectors. Read everything carefully. I guess you need a new button. But you can try to clean it – hard to say something without seeing it.
Speaking of cleaning: Getting to the silicon/rubber pad under ABXY is a lot harder and you could possibly break a lot of fragile retaining flaps/cable holders. If you also want to do that (the cleaning, not breaking something) look here:

Replace ABXY

These things are small and fragile, trust me. I had to disassemble an O3DSXL; that was a nightmare because I have this annoying tremor. But I did it anyway. Just do everything slow and you should do fine.
What does ‘Nvm‘ mean? Is it an abbreviation or what? Slang word? Even my dictionary does not help.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What does ‘Nvm‘ mean? Is it an abbreviation or what? Slang word? Even my dictionary does not help.
Oh if only you had simply typed nvm into google then looked at the very first result you would have your answer lol. NEVERMIND I guess doing that was too obvious lol.

Screenshot_20181001-181350.png

Last edited by AmandaRose,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :) +1