Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
http://www.noiseaddicts.com/2008/11/most-e...est-audiophile/

QUOTE said:
$21,000. It could buy you a car, it could be a down payment on a house, you could take off on a couple of amazing vacations, have a really nice wedding, or it could pay for your sick mom’s liver surgery. Better yet, how about 3 meters of speaker cable?

The crazies wonderful people people at Audioquest are selling this new speaker cable called the Audioquest Everest . This audiophile speaker cable boasts “Counter Spiralling Geometry” and “Spread Spectrum Technology” conductors. It’s got 4 different sizes of positive conductors and eight (!) negative conductors.

They of course claim that it “provides considerably better transparency and dynamics” and that the “Pure Perfect-Surface eliminates harshness and greatly increases clarity”.

Now, I realize that I just posted about the $5000 ipod earphones , but hey at least those are a fashion statement. These audiophile cables aren’t diamond-encrusted! I always thought that the Pear cables were ridiculously expensive at $5000, but obviously they are tinny & distorted compared to these babies.

I remember once James Randi did a double blind test with Pear cables, comparing them against regular electrical cable (yes, the type that you plug into your coffee maker). James, are you listening? I need you here! Maybe you could tell a difference if you used this on your CD’s first.

If you’re ever wondering if expensive cables are snakeoil, then check this or this out.

Mom, forget that liver operation - i REALLY need my Counter Spiralling Geometry audiophile speaker cables when I listen to my favorite music.

I say maybe just save your money and use some coat hanger wire.

http://avland.co.uk/audioquest/everest/everest.htm

ARE YOU RICH AND BADASS ENOUGH TO BUY THESE? I'M LOOKING AT YOU MEI-O.

MegaAce™

Steal back your future.
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Definitly No
cry.gif

21,000$ for a freakin cable?
who will buy some of these cables?
unsure.gif

Raestloz

GBATemp's Lone Wolf
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Definitely NOT!

I'd better off with a PS3, XBOX 360, Ultr-Spec PC, a Wii, an NDSL, and a PSP-2000, all comes with some crazy original games rather than 3 metres of rip-off!

hell, I can live with a headphone that costs $5 and they sound like Heaven sent 0.000001 g of happiness, the quality is great, and it's 4200x cheaper than this lol

seriously, who will buy this piece of rip-off?

R2DJ

Trophies
XP
Country
I may be an audiophile but I won't buy this. I would use it to buy things like consoles, tellies, and everything I need in life.

Unless it's $21.000, I would buy it
tongue.gif

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That is almost as amusing as some of the people I hear of tracking down oxygen free copper and then using an interference fit or heating it with a blowtorch.

Most of the audio stuff I hear about reminds me of snake oil salesmen anyhow.

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
You know, it's funny that people try to sell speaker cable for such a high price.

There was a test on a TV show a while back that had a comparison between audio travelling through a $150 set of Monster Cables and a standard coat hanger -- the people were blindfolded and couldn't tell the difference in audio quality.

Just goes to show that $21,000 cables don't mean shit -- I spent $30 on 100ft of speaker wire and it sounds wonderful.

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
acoustic.digital said:
i think its a good investment if you like real good studio equipment. of course nobody has money to burn, but for some major studios... why not?

the is a name for people that buy pseudo-scientific audio stuff like this, it is audiophools

dark42

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
All of these super-expensive cables are a scam. This cable wouldn't sound any better than a coat hanger.
BTW it's the same with those Monster HDMI cables, never buy one of those $100 cables Best Buy tries to sell you. It's a digital signal so it doesn't matter what type of cable it does through, as long as it gets there, so pretty much any cheap HDMI cable will do. You will not get a "better picture" or "clearer sound" by using overpriced cables. Anyone who buys this is both rich and stupid.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
hankchill said:
There was a test on a TV show a while back that had a comparison between audio traveling through a $150 set of Monster Cables and a standard coat hanger -- the people were blindfolded and couldn't tell the difference in audio quality.
And 9 out of 10 housewives can't tell the difference between Wizzo butter and a dead crab.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dark42 said:
All of these super-expensive cables are a scam. This cable wouldn't sound any better than a coat hanger.
BTW it's the same with those Monster HDMI cables, never buy one of those $100 cables Best Buy tries to sell you. It's a digital signal so it doesn't matter what type of cable it does through, as long as it gets there, so pretty much any cheap HDMI cable will do. You will not get a "better picture" or "clearer sound" by using overpriced cables. Anyone who buys this is both rich and stupid.
That's not true. I have a 10$ cable I got from newegg for my bedroom and I got artifacting and a weird line when I tried to use it on the living room 1080p tv(I bought my 360 over to play). It worked fine on my 720p tv though

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I think you're all looking at this the wrong way. It's not a matter of "if I had 21,000 dollars, what would I spend them on", this is a matter of "money is not an issue, gimme teh shiny".

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @K3Nv2, try SanDisk format tool?