Hacking 2 different Backup Launchers

erolz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hi,

just read about the backup launchers. There 2 different versions out there? Waninkoko's Backup Loader and the Backup Launcher by Wiigator. Can someone explain to me what the difference is between those two?
wich one do you use and/or prefer?
thanx a lot!
gr.

gamer4life18

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The one of Wiigator is almost ( or the same ) as the one of Waninkoko's but has a menu and bugfixes ( like the black screen ) so i prefer to take the one of Wiigator

zsakul2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And the wiigator gives color on standard av cables which waninkokos or w/es dont
I prefer wiigator!

nirst

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I think it depends on whether you have an NTSC or a PAL Wii. I understand that the Launcher works better on NTSC Wiis than Waninkoko's Loader but for me with a PAL Wii I've found no difference except with Samba de Amigo where Waninkoko's works better.

Mattdef

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hmm... Just a question : Gecko OS 1.06 = Backup Launcher by Wiigator ?

Because i launch my dump on my Wii (no cheap) with the Gecko OS 1.06

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have both in the zip file in my sig if anyone wants to try it.

What i found was that the original one was pure linux and had the white screen with text that would scare the bejesus out of any non IT related person. It worked , but showed too much of things that people didnt need to know.

The new one by Wiigator is much neater and had a loader screen coving over the bits people dont need to see. It also gives more options to those with NTSC machines , though i have a Pal so it makes no difference to me.

From a functional perspective : Wiigators has more future support and updates , and supports NTSC
From an aestetic perspective : Wiigators is prettier.
From a compatibility perspective : Both seem to play the games as well as each other on a PAL system. but for NTSC users the WiiGators version gives more freedom.

Both do the same job in he end really , so its a matter of choice.

Hope that helps.

denzil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
djtaz said:
What i found was that the original one was pure linux
What the flying heck are you talking about?

Edit: As for the original question:
QUOTEBoth do the same job
and an equally unelegant one at it. It's really more of a "Proof of Concept" of a "copy loader" than anything near a smart or convenient backup loader. There are many things awkwardly done. That, however, may improve over time, but the road Waninkoko's loader went - decrypting the disk's game partition beforehand - may lead to that you may end up re-doing everything you create for this very early version once somebody discovers how to actually use the Wii's own decryption routines.

Hellfenix

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I'm guessing linux = white text on black background for him lol.
It's not linux bro
blink.gif

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hellfenix said:
I'm guessing linux = white text on black background for him lol.
It's not linux bro
blink.gif

Yeah i know its not linux , i suppose i should have put in 'a text based non gui style of system'.
And yes neither system is as elegant as it could be , but wiigators one is a vast improvement on the original dol.

slimpyman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
white with black background.... just say its CLI. command line interface ;-) um anyone know why i cant load chocobos dungeon on wiigator, or bully? they worked on wainokokos

Meowayne

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Waninkoko has since commented on Wiigators attempt, saying that it is indeed slightly better in compatibility, but both (the leaked and the launcher) are leagues behind the version he's working on at the moment. And no, don't ask, I don't think he's going to release it. And if he does, definatly not soon.

Miles

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Meowayne said:
Waninkoko has since commented on Wiigators attempt, saying that it is indeed slightly better in compatibility, but both (the leaked and the launcher) are leagues behind the version he's working on at the moment. And no, don't ask, I don't think he's going to release it. And if he does, definatly not soon.
Considering I can play games in color, play 3 games that didn't work at all on waninkoko's loader, and use the features of GeckOS, I really don't see how it's "slightly" better.
I couldn't care less about wani's loader right now, since this one is open source, and that means the community will be able to work on it.
The way I see it, tehskeen working together to make something is better than wani developing by himself.
It'd be nice if they worked together maybe.

Saladman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Isn't the gecko based loader just gecko and wanins loader merged into 1 ?

I didn't realise Wiigator had coded his own backup launcher ???

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiGator's backup launcher is simply Waninkoko's DIP Module(available on his site) merged with GeckOS. The result is a version of GeckOS that supports backups.

Considering the module was released shortly after Waninkoko's ISO Loader was leaked, it's safe to say they contain identical code. Thus, any compatibility issues are your own fault.

If games aren't working after moving them to WiiGator's loader, you did something wrong. This can easily be circumvented by adjusting the force video settings and enabling the vid patch -- though this will cause your games to run slower.

Meowayne

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
He didn't. But injecting wanins DIP module into the workings of gecko os improved compatibility somehow. Waninkoko confirmed this.

QUOTE said:
Thus, any compatibility issues are your own fault.
No. Compatibility differs on some games.

noobwarrior7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
based on the context of teq's sentence you quoted, I believe he meant, any new compatibility issues/results,

however, that statement still does not seem to be the case from reports. I dunno, I dont use the loaders.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: *yawn*