2 Acekard 2i's, possible to update one via another

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by IcedDuck, Feb 9, 2013.

1. IcedDuck
    OP

Newcomer IcedDuck Newbie

Ireland
    I recently bought 2 Acekard 2i's, one came updated, one did not.

The second acekard was for a friend, he has the same 3ds firmware as me.

I was wondering if it is possible to use the working Acekard and update the other acekard

2. YankeeFan802

Member YankeeFan802 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    As far as I know you cannot. You'd have to find a DS that recognizes it so you can run the updater.

3. bowser

Member bowser Mwa ha ha ha!

India
    I think you can update it using the cart swap method only if you have a DS/DS Lite.

EDIT: Actually if you have a DS you can update it directly. Cart swap method is for fixing bricked carts.

4. IcedDuck
    OP

Newcomer IcedDuck Newbie

Ireland
    Are you both sure? Would it be possible to find a utility (in software form .nds) that I could launch on the updated Acekard 2i that would then prompt me to change the cart to the outdated firmware acekard 2i and then launch it? Wherein I could then update the Acekard from its own menu

5. tbgtbg

Member tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

United States
    Such a thing couldn't work on a 3DS or DSi due to how it handles a hot swap of the cart slot.

6. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    if your AK2i will not boot on your DSi/3DS, then you can't update it on those. In addition to the security checks, they also disabled cart swapping so you can't boot the update from another cart.

7. RukaRoaw

Newcomer RukaRoaw Advanced Member

United States
    Yes. I have two Acekard 2i cartridges. My brother's wouldn't update and then became bricked. I popped mine into a DS lite and booted up the latest Acekard 2i update, ran the update on my card which it then told me to insert another card. I inserted my brother's Acekard 2i and it was updated and worked again.

But like they said before me.. You still need a DS phat or DS lite to update period. Cart swapping or just updating.