• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

13 Russians, 3 businesses indicted by Mueller/Rosenstein in connection to Trump

• Thread starter Xzi
  • Start date
  • Views 39,496
  • Replies 594
  • Likes 11

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
That's not what I meant, and definitely not what I think you were meaning either. I'm talking specifically of paved roads that are maintained over any measurable period of time, rather than just paths that people followed due to migration. You said it's offtopic, I agree, but I what I was trying to do was demonstrate that paved trade routes that are built and maintained using tax money date back quite literally millennia. The problem we're having right now is that our government seems to just... Not care, I guess? about maintaining out infrastructure. Which doesn't (necessarily) indicate a failure of government, it just indicates a failure of elected officials
That's because the government doesn't particularly "care" about anything, the government isn't a person. An individual can care about something, a government is just a system, systems don't care. People care, thus people should elect representatives who actually represent their interests. Ideally it shouldn't be something the federal government handles at all, this is a matter for individual state governments, or in the case of interstate roads, a matter of making a deal between two states that's mutually beneficial. Your local representative might care about the road outside your house because he lives on the same block, if you think anyone in DC cares about whether you can get to work on time, you are mistaken. Politics have become terribly impersonal and liability is far too diluted to truly hold anyone accountable for anything. Failure of elected officials can only go so far though, often times things can't change because the regulations and requirements surrounding a project are so huge that it's just not worth the effort. The fence outside my house is a perfect example - I have ample room on my property to park my car, but I can't because there's a crossing about a meter or two further down the road. I can't knock down my own fence that stands on my own property to park my own car because the crossing is "too close" according to some ridiculous safety requirement. Now, at no point during entering or exiting the property do I even come close to the crossing, but we all have to pretend that we're stupid because a book said so. This affects multiple residents, too. The council has decided that it is more prudent to tell everyone to park half-way on the pavement, take up space reserved for pedestrians and create a narrow sphere of slowness on the road instead of letting people park on their yards, and all to no benefit in terms of safety since now the cars are even closer to the pedestrians than they would otherwise. The only way to fix this issue and satisfy the requirement is to move the crossing and its set of lights, and that's just too expensive.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
This is a non-partisan issue - the government sucks at everything under any administration
It is a partisan issue unfortunately. Obama had the stimulus package which included infrastructure spending and funded many projects in my home state. I don't expect Trump really gives a damn enough to push for the same, even though he also promised a large-scale infrastructure plan.

Let's be honest here, neither parties aren't without asshole politicians in power. We need a third party that actually makes a difference.
We need several more political parties, but I wonder if this country would be smart enough to handle that, given most people aren't even willing to do research on two candidates.

Last edited by Xzi,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It is a partisan issue unfortunately. Obama had the stimulus package which included infrastructure spending and funded many projects in my home state. I don't expect Trump really gives a damn enough to push for the same, even though he also promised a large-scale infrastructure plan.

We need several more political parties, but I wonder if this country would be smart enough to handle that, given most people aren't even willing to do research on two candidates.
>Implying that the stimulus package was a good thing, or that it was effective.

Okay. I mean, you're free to have an opinion.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
>Implying that the stimulus package was a good thing, or that it was effective.

Okay. I mean, you're free to have an opinion.
When people can see what effect legislation like that has in real-time, it's hard to pull the wool over their eyes and convince them it's a bad thing. Naturally, a lot of states with Republican governors didn't see the same effects, as those governors turned down federal assistance as a political stunt. States like Kansas basically never came out of the '08 recession because of it.

Last edited by Xzi,

brickmii82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When people can see what effect legislation like that has in real-time, it's hard to pull the wool over their eyes and convince them it's a bad thing. Naturally, a lot of states with Republican governors didn't see the same effects, as those governors turned down federal assistance as a political stunt. States like Kansas basically never came out of the '08 recession because of it.
Numbers disagree.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/KSNGSP

https://www.deptofnumbers.com/employment/kansas/

Looks like Kansas rebounded just fine. As did everyone else regardless. America is strong. Now back to my previous point ... He kinda just threw all of Americas intelligence community under the bus.

Last edited by brickmii82,
Reactions: Foxi4

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Don't argue with me, argue with Forbes and with most economists, see post above. The stimulus package burned through money with little return.

Reactions: brickmii82

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Numbers disagree.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/KSNGSP

https://www.deptofnumbers.com/employment/kansas/

Looks like Kansas rebounded just fine. As did everyone else regardless. America is strong. Now back to my previous point ... He kinda just threw all of Americas intelligence community under the bus.
Looking at it on its own it's fine, looking at it compared to the growth and recovery of other states, it was extremely stagnant.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/beltwa...ut-experiment-crashes-and-burns/#37b646215508

Since Kansas enacted tax and spending cuts in 2012 and 2013, Brownback and his allies have argued that this fiscal potion would generate an explosion of economic growth. It didn’t. Overall growth and job creation in Kansas underperformed both the national economy and neighboring states. From January, 2014 (after both tax cuts passed) to April, 2017, Kansas gained only 28,000 net new non-farm jobs. By contrast, Nebraska, an economically similar state with a much smaller labor force, saw a net increase of 35,000 jobs.

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-e...cuts-brownback-california-20170622-story.html

The Republican-held Legislature had to override a veto by the governor to pass the emergency tax increase, now crucial to prevent deep budget cuts for schools and other essential public services. Kansas embarked on its trickle-down experiment in 2012. Brownback slashed taxes across the board, calling his plan "a shot of adrenaline into the heart of the Kansas economy." Five years later, the state's economy is on life support, and government expenses are expected to outpace income by $1.1 billion through June 2019.

In other words, they've been broke since '08 and they're still broke to this day because of Brownback's policies. Even his own party had to turn on him eventually to keep things from getting worse.

Don't argue with me, argue with Forbes and with most economists, see post above. The stimulus package burned through money with little return.
I don't remember being in a recession any more after Obama's first term, so there must've been some return there. Now under Trump we're back to the same type of policies that put us in a recession in the first place. A little worse actually, because at the very least GWB wasn't stupid enough to start a trade war with our allies.

Now back to my previous point ... He kinda just threw all of Americas intelligence community under the bus.
He threw America as a whole under the bus. Trump blamed us for bad relations with Russia when they've been one of the worst human rights abusers for decades. He looked like a weak sniveling bitchboy next to Putin, which is exactly what he is. Should've called this summit "Capitulation Fest '18." It's the same deal with any dictator he meets, which is why Trump came away with nothing after meeting with Kim Jong Un.

Last edited by Xzi,

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Negative Income Tax. That, and we need to reintroduce jobs for low-skilled workers who can't really do any complex tasks, not even at an assembly line. I listened to a story of one of those low IQ people working with his therapist to find employment and it was heartbreaking. He was sorting mail, but it was just too much for him.
For some reason I didn't get a notification of your reply to me. Sometimes GBAtemp doesn't work right and I end up missing lots of comments.

Dr. Peterson talks about this in good detail. There are no jobs for people with less than 87 IQ. Even McDonalds is complex enough to require a higher than 87 IQ. And people in the low IQ range have a hard time finding work they are capable of doing, end up becoming depressed, develop physical pain problems because physical pain and depression are linked together, and end up going on Anti Depressants. Low end jobs are disappearing and not many people are talking about creating simple jobs they can do so they can at least contribute to society, rather than be on welfare. But Is there any jobs we can create that they can easily do and is useful to society?

Of course you have groups of people that deny IQ is a thing. But the testing methods for IQ was one of the first developed and is the same methods the entire psychology field uses. And IQ gives more accurate results and anything else. So what does that tell you if someone claims IQ research is bullshit, and everything else uses those same methods and produce less accurate results than IQ, does that mean the entire psychology field is bullshit. Is research in Depression, Homosexuality, Aspergers all bullshit then. So avoid going to a therapist because its bullshit. Should we then throw out all of psychology.

IQ measures fluid intelligence not crystalized intelligence. Fluid intelligence is your ability to abstract and problem solve. Crystallized intelligence is all the knowledge you accumulated through schooling and learning. So IQ tests like the Ravens Progressive Matrices tests your raw processing power and not your knowledge. And can be used regardless of culture and language. So not amount of studying or training will raise your IQ.

This is important to know especially since 16% of the population has less than 85 IQ because its a bell curve. And their lack of doing well and getting into good careers is not their fault or laziness. So we are going to have to create jobs they can do or they'll be stuck on welfare. If we get rid of welfare or reduce it, then they are going to have a hard time and be stuck on anti depressants. If society can't accept that IQ is a thing then people are not going to get to the core problem.

Last edited by SG854,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
This is important to know especially since 16% of the population has less than 85 IQ because its a bell curve. And their lack of doing well and getting into good careers is not their fault or laziness. So we are going to have to create jobs they can do or they'll be stuck on welfare. If we get rid of welfare or reduce it, then they are going to have a hard time and be stuck on anti depressants. If we can't accept that IQ is a thing then people are not going to get to the core problem.
We need a universal basic income, it comes down to that. Most of us are going to be out of work from automation soon, not just those below a certain IQ. Unfortunately, even as we're being put out of work by robots I'm sure there will be those voices screaming "moochers" at anyone who advocates for a UBI.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We need a universal basic income, it comes down to that. Most of us are going to be out of work from automation soon, not just those below a certain IQ. Unfortunately, even as we're being put out of work by robots I'm sure there will be those voices screaming "moochers" at anyone who advocates for a UBI.
That's until their jobs are takeover by robots as well.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
That only fixes the problem of McDonalds workers. Not people on the low end of the intelligence scale. What about people not capable of doing a good job working at McDonalds. We are going to have to create easy jobs for them. Or else that's more money in to welfare to take care of them.
The Biggest employment for men is drivers. Uber and Taxi driver. Tesla right now is working on self driving cars and its going to put a lot of men out of employment. So unless you have high intellegence you are going to have a hard time in the future.

If you are interested IQ, Dr. Jordan Peterson (he's a clinical psychologist) has a free around 2 Hour Lecture on IQ and personality traits here.
And an interview with Peterson and Dr. Richard Haier (who is a Neuroscientist) here.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
That only fixes the problem of McDonalds workers. Not people on the low end of the intelligence scale. What about people not capable of doing a good job working at McDonalds.
No, you misunderstand. We need a UBI for all American citizens paid for by a tax on automation.

The Biggest employment for men is drivers. Uber and Taxi driver. Tesla right now is working on self driving cars and its going to put a lot of men out of employment. So unless you have high intellegence you are going to have a hard time in the future.
It's not always about intelligence but often about resources required to seek higher education. Regardless, food service jobs, transportation jobs, warehouse jobs, retail and grocery store jobs, and more are all at risk for automation. These make up a good 60% - 70% of America's jobs in total, and without the grunts to manage, there'd be no need for more than a skeleton crew at the top of these companies, either. Of course, without a UBI, there would be nobody buying their products and the economy would collapse, so yeah.

hoist20032002

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was born into a democrat family and was raised as one, lived as a republican, protested as a liberal (not an ignorant leftist) and now I'm a moderate/independant. Seeing both the left and the right acting like children throwing hissy fits and throwing out double standards every which way possible..It's so annoying when people in this country fight for their political figures but will be against the other side when there's again, double stanards. NO POLITICIAN CARES ANY ANY OF US! So everyone that is pro-tRump, pro-Oblama, pro-shitlary and the ones against them, do you really think that they give a rats ass about any of you? There's #NoHopeForHumanity ...

Also, what about george bush sr, hillbilly clinton, w bush, obama and others the even worked for the gov or ran for the presidency? people think theyre so innocent? haaaaa! I say when they get rid of trump, the rest should be locked up too. unless a bunch of morons want to do the double standard crap as always

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I was born into a democrat family and was raised as one, lived as a republican, protested as a liberal (not an ignorant leftist) and now I'm a moderate/independant. Seeing both the left and the right acting like children throwing hissy fits and throwing out double standards every which way possible..It's so annoying when people in this country fight for their political figures but will be against the other side when there's again, double stanards. NO POLITICIAN CARES ANY ANY OF US! So everyone that is pro-tRump, pro-Oblama, pro-shitlary and the ones against them, do you really think that they give a rats ass about any of you? There's #NoHopeForHumanity ...

Also, what about george bush sr, hillbilly clinton, w bush, obama and others the even worked for the gov or ran for the presidency? people think theyre so innocent? haaaaa! I say when they get rid of trump, the rest should be locked up too. unless a bunch of morons want to do the double standard crap as always
This is a whole lot of equivocation, but at the end of the day, no other president you mentioned has been so publicly corrupt as Trump. You have to go back to Nixon for a valid comparison.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The question of low IQ and NIT/UBI is very simple, you as an intelligent person must make a valued judgement whether it is better that your burger is made by someone with an IQ of 85 or less or if it's better to just give them money. It's not going to be a very good burger, that's what it comes down to, really. The issue with that is that work does bring a degree of happiness and fulfillment, so I wouldn't necessarily use IQ as a factor in hiring - it's an immutable characteristic, that's simply illegal. You have to let those people have their dreams and work on building competence - they're still capable of learning, they just need to put an extraordinary level of effort in order to reach any results at all. It's not fair to deny them a career path, but we must expect that, sadly, most will fail, and we need a contingency plan. As far as automation is concerned, I'm not worried. The landscape is constantly evolving and the concerns we hear now about drivers are the same concerns we heard from the same drivers driving horse carriages a over century ago. Humanity adapts and new jobs appear all the time, just the invention of the Internet opened a whole new space for new industries, particularly in retail and entertainment. People will shift to more creative roles, there's always demand for new products.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As far as automation is concerned, I'm not worried. The landscape is constantly evolving and the concerns we hear now about drivers are the same concerns we heard from the same drivers driving horse carriages a over century ago. Humanity adapts and new jobs appear all the time, just the invention of the Internet opened a whole new space for new industries, particularly in retail and entertainment. People will shift to more creative roles, there's always demand for new products.
I know I can't predict the future, but I really don't think the Industrial Age is comparable to the "Automation Age". This isn't changing how people work, it is taking people out of work altogether. Not saying every job will be take over anytime soon. Not everyone wants or going to automated and people like human interactions, but a huge amount of low skill, labor and even desk jobs will be gone and I doubt they will be largely replace.

More competition in entertainment and creative roles will be nice for us. Not so much for people trying to get and be successful at those jobs. That is, if they even have the skills for them. All this is in the context of people working for a living.

Of course UBI/NIT makes this all moot. People will be able to do jobs and try things, that don't necessarily needs to provide them with a living.

Last edited by KingVamp,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I know I can't predict the future, but I really don't think the Industrial Age is comparable to the "Automation Age". This isn't changing how people work, it is taking people out of work altogether. Not saying every job will be take over anytime soon. Not everyone wants or going to automated and people like human interactions, but a huge amount of low skill, labor and even desk jobs will be gone and I doubt they will be largely replace.

More competition in entertainment and creative roles will be nice for us. Not so much for people trying to get and be successful at those jobs. That is, if they even have the skills for them. All this is in the context of people working for a living.

Of course UBI/NIT makes this all moot. People will be able to do jobs and try things, that don't necessarily needs to provide them with a living.
It is precisely the same. Prior to the Industrial Age 75% of the world's population was actively engaged in agriculture, the remaining 25% were various craftsmen, with a small fraction being the nobility. Contemporarily it's 2.2% thanks to mechanised farming. Are we suffering from 72% unemployment rates? No, people moved to the city and picked up different trades. This is literally no different, except instead of working in factories, people will pick up different occupations. The Internet space allows people who were formerly unemployable to make a decent living by creating various types of content, and with the slow death of traditional media this will only expand further. Both the entertainment space as well as, surprisingly, the maker space is thriving thanks to Kickstarter and other crowdfunding models. Patreon and YouTube are both a big deal too. I think we'll be just fine, provided people continue to be industrious.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0HUC3gnPMZs&pp=ygUXTWVtY2FyZCBwcm8gMSwgMiBhbmQgZ2M%3D