• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

13 Russians, 3 businesses indicted by Mueller/Rosenstein in connection to Trump

• Thread starter Xzi
  • Start date
  • Views 39,665
  • Replies 594
  • Likes 11

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
So... Wait, seriously? You're in favor of what's effectively a supplemental UBI?
It's not the same thing at all, it's more like a bitter pill you have to swallow because ultimately some people just can't work - they're not lazy, they just can't keep up for whatever reason.
Private construction companies are the ones who have to fix/maintain our infrastructure, but first they have to be given an incentive (contract) by the state/federal government. Just one of several examples where the free market is insufficient and would rather skate by on the bare minimum.

Kinda getting back on topic though: what a joke Trump's summit with Putin was. Even some right-wing media is bashing him for that pathetic display of submissiveness. As they should. He looked weak and he blamed America for everything. A few random articles on the matter:

https://washingtonmonthly.com/2018/07/17/trump-is-colluding-with-russia-right-in-front-of-our-eyes/

https://www.cleveland.com/open/index.ssf/2018/07/southeast_ohio_republican_part.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/16/opinion/trump-putin-summit-russia-collusion.html

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-that-was-treason-donald-trump-we-all-saw-it/

At some point in the near future a UBI will be all but required. Automation is going to take over some of the biggest employment industries in the US.
This is a problem exclusive to public roads, private toll roads are doing perfectly fine.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's government jobs paid for with taxes, therefore it's redistributionism. You're taking money away from those who pay taxes, take a bunch of people who don't have jobs and you tell them to dig holes and then fill them in to create a veneer of work. These kinds of policies are straight from the U.S.S.R playbook, I should know, Poland was under Russian control for decades, we're familiar with the scam. If there was any need for those jobs, the market would generate them, which tells me that there isn't. Now, if you tie that with the proposal of a new $15 minimum wage, an amount appropriate for a skilled worker, not an unskilled, unemployable non-worker, you're throwing the economy completely out of whack because you're devaluing labour. There's no reason why a ditch digger should make as much as a software engineer. This model is unsustainable and not realistic.
Taxes are going be collected one way or another. The goal should be used the taxes as efficiently as possible.

Pointless jobs, is one of the reasons why I think job guaranteed is a bad idea. How many meaningful jobs can the government give while competing with private companies and the growing use of automation?

Still doesn't sound like communism, anymore than negative income tax does. Just one is way more inefficient than the other.

In my experience, there's no such thing as unskilled labor, only labor in which the skillset is unappreciated. Just because a job may require little to no mental presence, for instance, doesn't mean it isn't physically demanding, and likewise in converse. I'd like to see your ditch digger try to code a website while your software engineer takes a stab at digging ditches at the same rate as they did, for example. Both will probably suck at it. (Plus, in what reality is a software engineer making only slightly more than $15/hr? If that's you, you need to demand a raise because your time is being undervalued)

Plus, I'm a bit peeved that you're tossing in the whole "if we pay the lowest wage-earners more, then they'll be making just as much as people with slightly higher wages, and that's unacceptable!" mantra, because that is EXACTLY what people with power always say to make sure that no one ever is payed more for their time, and you're just another person who's swallowed that line and is feeding it back out. You act as though placing more value on one person's job somehow takes value away from someone else's, as though value is a scarecly limited resource, but it's not; if the lowest earners are paid enough to actually feed themselves while paying rent, a few things will happen: jobs will open up, allowing for more people to enter the workforce (there are a LOT of people working two and three jobs just to get by, in my eyes that's unacceptable), wages will go up incrementally all the way up as laborers in higher positions demand wage increases and finally get that bargaining leverage, and the local economy will improve as more of the people who were just barely getting by in the lower-middle class can finally afford some non-essential niceties.
Couldn't have said this better myself.

By introducing a bunch of labourers who work for the money sourced by taxing other labourers you are effectively depressing wages because it necessitates an increase in taxation and introduces a whole bunch of new employees who will displace others as the cost of their employment is zero, if not negative altogether. Contracts that were previously fulfilled by private industry will now be fulfilled internally, which leads to lay-offs, which leads to more unemployed people, which leads to higher taxes. It's a surefire way to destroy the economy. If you don't like what happened in Seattle, you haven't seen anything yet. A wage should reflect the demand for a particular job to be done, if there is no demand and you compound that with elevating wages, the value of the currency depreciates because you're creating labour nobody asked for. It's a stupid idea, if it wasn't, communist states like Cuba or Venezuela would be superpowers.
As for taxing, wouldn't it tax everyone not just the laborers? Job guaranteed isn't stopping private companies from employing people. Why would that cause companies to suddenly not employ people, let alone layoffs because of it?

we need to reintroduce jobs for low-skilled workers
Who's going to provide them? In other words, where's the demand? You surely don't want the governments to do it and I'm sure companies are just going to do more automation as time goes on.

It is and it isn't. A negative income tax explained in one sentence is a minimum amount of money that a person must have after tax. It's not an ideal solution, but it addresses the call for universal income and eliminates welfare. I would prefer if it supplemented income after tax rather than just give people money for nothing, but I can't have everything I want, right? The point is reduction of waste and useless departments, it streamlines the welfare system to one form - your tax return. If you didn't earn enough after tax, you get supplemented. Watch some Milton Friedman, he explains the idea well.
Seems to be a roundabout and more bureaucratic way to do basic income. Not to mention, unlike NIT, basic income doesn't, at least not directly, take money from you if you decide to work.

I doubt basic income or NIT will get rid of all welfare. Probably most, but not all.

Last edited by KingVamp,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Taxes are going be collected one way or another. The goal should be used the taxes as efficiently as possible.

Pointless jobs, is one of the reasons why I think job guaranteed is a bad idea. How many meaningful jobs can the government give while competing with private companies and the growing use of automation?

Still doesn't sound like communism, anymore than negative income tax does. Just one is way more inefficient than the other.

Couldn't have said this better myself.

As for taxing, wouldn't it tax everyone not just the laborers? Job guaranteed isn't stopping private companies from employing people. Why would that cause companies to suddenly not employ people, let alone layoffs because of it.

Who's going to provide them? In other words, where's the demand? You surely don't want the governments to do it and I'm sure companies are just going to do more automation as time goes on.

Seems to be a roundabout and more bureaucratic way to do basic income. Not to mention, unlike NIT, basic income doesn't, at least not directly, take money from you if you decide to work.

I doubt basic income or NIT will get rid of all welfare. Probably most, but not all.
More bureaucratic? It eliminates all other forms of welfare or subsidy and relies on one form that you have to file either way - it's the most efficient way of doing a bad thing overall. As for demand, there's plenty of it, we just need to get rid of many regulations and the minimum wage. No shortage of factory jobs in China, what are they doing that we aren't?

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
This is a problem exclusive to public roads, private toll roads are doing perfectly fine.
They're also not built to handle the kind of traffic that public roads see, and they're only available in small stretches across the country. It's also a ridiculous concept because businesses already make money via transportation on public roadways, and the entire free market would come to a halt if just a few major interstate highways collapsed. Additionally, we already pay taxes for this purpose, private toll roads are just charging you a second time.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
They're also not built to handle the kind of traffic that public roads see, and they're only available in small stretches across the country. It's also a ridiculous concept because businesses already make money via transportation on public roadways, and the entire free market would come to a halt if just a few major interstate highways collapsed. Additionally, we already pay taxes for this purpose, private toll roads are just charging you a second time.
I can assure you that roads came before the government, but that's a nuanced conversation that's irrelevant to the subject at hand. "Large corporations" are the ones that pay the most for roads because they have fleets of gigantic trucks to transport their goods which are exceedingly highly taxed, plus they go through fuel like no tomorrow. Roads are financed by intra and interstate commerce, not by you - your tax contribution is inconcievably small in comparison.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
More bureaucratic? It eliminates all other forms of welfare or subsidy and relies on one form that you have to file either way - it's the most efficient way of doing a bad thing overall. As for demand, there's plenty of it, we just need to get rid of many regulations and the minimum wage. No shortage of factory jobs in China, what are they doing that we aren't?
I mean, how is negative income tax anymore efficient than just giving people a basic income that's not based on anything?

Sure, basic income or NIT would lessen the need for high minimum wages, such as $15, but I think getting rid of the minimum wage is a bit too much. Those factory jobs are also becoming more automated. Sweatshops and suicide nets?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I mean, how is negative income tax anymore efficient than just giving people a basic income that's not based on anything?

Sure, basic income or NIT would lessen the need for high minimum wages, such as $15, but I think getting rid of the minimum wage is a bit too much. Those factory jobs are also becoming more automated. Sweatshops and suicide nets?
Lower wages allow private enterprise to reduce outsourcing and off-shoring as well as increase hiring new employees and the creation of new facilities, this in turn increases demand for workers, and that higher demand stimulates wages. Rising wages artificially deflates the economy. Instead, you can run a healthy economy and supplement the few wages that need to be supplemented. That way you're not hitting the private enterprise and maintain growth.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
"Large corporations" are the ones that pay the most for roads because they have fleets of gigantic trucks to transport their goods which are exceedingly highly taxed, plus they go through fuel like no tomorrow. Roads are financed by intra and interstate commerce, not by you - your tax contribution is inconcievably small in comparison.
Regardless, we're all paying into it and we're not seeing any results from that. If the free market was so great, it would take care of our infrastructure for us instead of relying on the government to hand out contracts before anything gets done.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Regardless, we're all paying into it and we're not seeing any results from that. If the free market was so great, it would take care of our infrastructure for us instead of relying on the government to hand out contracts before anything gets done.
And before anyone has the chance to use the Domino's example again, I'm going to butt in and point out that it's far from a perfect solution, considering a) they're not doing it everywhere, it's a PR stunt that will only select a handful of submitted locations, as per the fine print, and b) they're using money that they wouldn't have had had they been paying corporate taxes, which arguably could have been used to repave more roads due to larger contract opportunities than what they're doing effectively for publicity

Reactions: Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
And before anyone has the chance to use the Domino's example again, I'm going to butt in and point out that it's far from a perfect solution, considering a) they're not doing it everywhere, it's a PR stunt that will only select a handful of submitted locations, as per the fine print, and b) they're using money that they wouldn't have had had they been paying corporate taxes, which arguably could have been used to repave more roads due to larger contract opportunities than what they're doing effectively for publicity
Exactly. Potholes are not nearly as big a concern as collapsing bridges or washed out roadways, either.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Because the free market relies on consensual transactions. Infrastructure is under the jurisdiction of the government, so unless the government hires a contractor to (re)build infrastructure, the contractor can't build anything because there's no contract and no profit. What you're telling me is that you're paying road tax and the roads still suck, which is further evidence that the government sucks at everything.
It's literally a joke example, the real example provided is a toll road. More often than not they're infinitely better than public roads because they're designed to be self-sustainable. Public roads are not, public roads are designed to get you from point A to point B, and as long as they are fit for that purpose, the government is perfectly happy.

That's kind of debatable, considering public highways date back to at least ancient Rome
Are you in earnest telling me that people have never traveled before a government told them they could? Because that's turbo-silly.

It's more efficient in every single way possible, from administrative costs to the so-called "perverse incentives" problem the current welfare system has.

brickmii82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I’ve avoided this section of Temp for obvious reasons, but now I just gotta come in and ask if we’re gonna address the elephant in the room.

That press conference was an utter disaster. It was so bad, even Newt Gingrich came out and said it was bad. Now President Trump is backtracking his comments and I have to say, it still looks bad if not worse. Wtf was that shitshow?!?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Yes, under Republicans it really does.
This is a non-partisan issue - the government sucks at everything under any administration and thus, logically, we should minimise the size and scope of it down to the functions that are absolutely necessary for the operation of the country, such as national defense, the police force and so on and so forth. It's the degree to which we need to cut down/expand that's the issue between the two sides.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Let's be honest here, neither parties aren't without asshole politicians in power. We need a third party that actually makes a difference.
If the government was small and had relatively little control over the private lives of citizens, the issue of a federal election would be almost non-existent as people would be more concerned with states' rights. You can feasibly move from a liberal state to a conservative state or vice versa, you can't feasibly move out of the United States and into another country without basically restarting your entire life and incurring massive costs. You have freedom of travel between states, you have no such freedom abroad - you're either accepted or you're not which introduces an externality - the government of the other country.

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the government was small and had relatively little control over the private lives of citizens, the issue of a federal election would be almost non-existent as people would be more concerned with states' rights. You can feasibly move from a liberal state to a conservative state or vice versa, you can't feasibly move out of the United States and into another country without basically restarting your entire life and incurring massive costs. You have freedom of travel between states, you have no such freedom abroad - you're either accepted or you're not which introduces an externality - the government of the other country.

Unfortunately, no government will ever be prefect; all are FUBAR in some way.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Unfortunately, no government will ever be prefect; all are FUBAR in some way.
Exactly, which is another reason why it should be small. A small f*ck-up can be rectified, a big f*ck-up is unsolvable without further growth. Just look at social security - it's going to be (predictably) insolvent in the foreseeable future.

Reactions: the_randomizer

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you in earnest telling me that people have never traveled before a government told them they could? Because that's turbo-silly.
That's not what I meant, and definitely not what I think you were meaning either. I'm talking specifically of paved roads that are maintained over any measurable period of time, rather than just paths that people followed due to migration. You said it's offtopic, I agree, but I what I was trying to do was demonstrate that paved trade routes that are built and maintained using tax money date back quite literally millennia. The problem we're having right now is that our government seems to just... Not care, I guess? about maintaining out infrastructure. Which doesn't (necessarily) indicate a failure of government, it just indicates a failure of elected officials

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c_jlLQb2_rM&pp=ygUQSGVyIG5hbWUgaXMgc29ueQ%3D%3D +1