Hacking 11.2 + Luma + GW. Where to go from here?

As an 11.2 + Luma and GW A9LH user, what is the best course of action?

• Throw it away, and get an official console, because I hate saving money

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Stay on A9LH. It still works best.

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Prep and migrate to B9S. Here's what you do...

Votes: 34 85.0%
  • Hey, you want my hacked Vita instead?

Votes: 5 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

No, don't do that. You are making this difficult. Just use bootcttr9 to run the b9S payload I linked prior. You'll load Luma default or hold L on boot for GW. Works awesome. Luma and GW on one SD. You don't need to do the partial update on the emunand if you don't go online in the EMU nand. Keep your 11.2 EMU nand and don't go online in GW mode. Or partially update your EMU nand and restore the online functionality to the EMU nand as well. You can use NTR on top of all of that too. Luma can run your EMU nand too. It's no that hard.

Against my better judgement I will help you get NTR up too. IF you want. Use bootntr selector, also linked prior. It will install NTR automaticlly, DON"T tell it to use existing settings if it finds them as your set up if flawed. For streaming you use NTR 3.4. To catch the video on windows you use one of these.

NTR Debugger (oldest I think)
https://github.com/44670/BootNTR/wiki/Video-Streaming

Kit-Kat (My favorite)
https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-kit-kat-the-ultimate-3ds-toolkit-pc-client.453015/

Snickerstream (Newly revived)
https://gbatemp.net/threads/release...lots-of-improvements-and-new-features.488374/

The tutorials in the tutorial section here on the temp work BTW..

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ooh, dang. I wish I'd have known about that, sooner. Sadly, my A9LH is on SysNAND presently.

I just know that it'd be a lot easier to actually move to using NTR for stuff, if it actually worked. Presently, even just trying to do the capture here just isn't.

A9LH? You really should update to B9S. All A9LH is on System Nand BTW. And Luma can boot your emunand too...
https://3ds.guide/a9lh-to-b9s.html

Then get on the newest Luma..

All the capture programs work. Some better than others. What does it do? Any error?

Last edited by mikefor20,

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Ooh, dang. I wish I'd have known about that, sooner. Sadly, my A9LH is on SysNAND presently.

I just know that it'd be a lot easier to actually move to using NTR for stuff, if it actually worked. Presently, even just trying to do the capture here just isn't.
NTR has been working just fine for me, although I haven't done too much long term testing.
I am still going to advocate upgrading to B9S and retiring the Gateway 3DS. I am not suggesting this because I "hate" gateway or whatever people keep saying about me, I suggest this because the team appears to have abandoned the project. Right now the only real lose will be .3DS ROM support, but a bigger microSD card can make up for that lose. Just consider upgrading, stew it over.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NTR has been working just fine for me, although I haven't done too much long term testing.
I am still going to advocate upgrading to B9S and retiring the Gateway 3DS. I am not suggesting this because I "hate" gateway or whatever people keep saying about me, I suggest this because the team appears to have abandoned the project. Right now the only real lose will be .3DS ROM support, but a bigger microSD card can make up for that lose. Just consider upgrading, stew it over.
I have been. Problem is, that I don't have a lot of time to really fiddle with and tinker as much as I'd like to on it.

As it stands, I've so far only gotten as far as being able to boot up NTR selector, having it launch a version, making sure the debugger is enabled (so far, seems to be auto-enabled from what I'm seeing), but when I go to my computer to use NitroViewer to actually try to get a stream from it, I still get nothing.

Another commenter already mentioned that GateShark (not sure where the term came from) cheats work, but nothing I've found about the subject indicates where I'm supposed to put those cheat files for the pre-made codes. Or how to access/enable them.

I just know I'm really tired of freeshop insisting it's getting updated files, but then the latest it'll let me see, is Fire Emblem. I don't even like fire emblem. :glare:

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I have been. Problem is, that I don't have a lot of time to really fiddle with and tinker as much as I'd like to on it.

As it stands, I've so far only gotten as far as being able to boot up NTR selector, having it launch a version, making sure the debugger is enabled (so far, seems to be auto-enabled from what I'm seeing), but when I go to my computer to use NitroViewer to actually try to get a stream from it, I still get nothing.

Another commenter already mentioned that GateShark (not sure where the term came from) cheats work, but nothing I've found about the subject indicates where I'm supposed to put those cheat files for the pre-made codes. Or how to access/enable them.

I just know I'm really tired of freeshop insisting it's getting updated files, but then the latest it'll let me see, is Fire Emblem. I don't even like fire emblem. :glare:
I personally use CuteNTR, but that’s because I am a Linux user. So I unfortunately can’t help you with that situation.

I haven’t setup cheats in quite some time, but iirc you just need create a folder with the titleID of the game, using SMT4 for example would be 00040000000e5c00, in the plugin folder. Then put the cheats in that folder. If I am remembering wrong, please correct me. I should test this

I don’t think that’s a freeShop issue itself, but I have had it happen before. I fixed it by re-installing the update and or DLC.

Edit: I didn't like not having a solid answer, so I went to this thread and followed what it said to do
https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-new-pokemon-xy-oras-ntr-cheat-plugin.477974/
This is the screenshot from my 3DS of the cheat menu working
test.JPG

Last edited by The Catboy,

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Try Kit-Kat for streaming. I linked it. It will handle the input redirect pc side stuff and streaming. IIRC all the streaming is dependent on a specific .NET version. Its in the posts I linked to,. Did you update the Freeshop title key URL since the change? I think Fire Emblem came out around then. So you have a shit Freeshop Key URL. Go to the site and get the new one. You'll need the latest Freeshop maybe. There is a fork that's still active.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-pauls-freeshop-fork-open-source-eshop-alternative.483159/

I think you are just WAY out of date . Update to B9S, Latest Luma .Update the Freshop install manually cause the old one won't self update anymore. Update the Title site URL in freeshop. Delete the NTR stuff from your SD on the 3ds. Your installation might be suspect. Use boot NTR selector to download a fresh installation. Try reading about Nitro Viewer. It says its dependencies in the first post I think. Or try Kit-Kat. I know its defunct but it works and is easier for people who have trouble with these types of things.

Reactions: Quantumcat

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Biased, uneducated posts about GW run amuck! You don't have to choose, once again. You can run B9S, Luma, NTR and Gateway all on the same SD easily. You can run your EMU nand in Luma if you like. You can cheat with NTR and Gateway. Same set up. Why do you guys make it difficult? Choose? I choose both. You can put BIGGER SD cards in the GW and the 3DS if you want to spend the money. Lil says, "but a bigger microSD card can make up for that lose" but can it make up for the money lost on GW or the cost for a new SD? That's like when something hasn't leaked yet and people go "Just buy the game". Not helpful at all. Lil, buy me a goddamn SD or stop acting like its no big deal. Thank you.

BTW Lil, you are not focused on full functionality BECAUSE YOU HATE GATEWAY. That's it. You even own one. Politics and a smug sense of righteousness prevent you from using it. Sad. You store it "in a drawer"? Give it to someone who can appreciate what it does. It's useful, all those cheats, they are found using GW no matter how you run them. Also did you see the project to use it as a secondary SD adapter for Hombrew apps? Promising. Who cares about the GW team? Guess what, they already have YOUR money Lil! It's over. GW = 1 Lil = 0 Now IF you don't use the thing its another loss to you, not them. GW = 1 Lil = 00 That's like saying "I''m mad at YOU so I'll never use MY toys again!" Ridiculous.

Reactions: nccom

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i smell a lock...

Of course, No body can call out certain people here. No matter the hippocratic crap they spout. The Software Justice Whiner 3rd Reich won't let it happen. Plus someone talking about GW in a constructive manner???!? GET THEM UP AGAINST THE WALL!!

Why do GATE-HATERS even post on these threads? Mind your own business.

But really, OP You can have your Gateway and Luma too. No need to choose. No additional risks than the ones you already have and a lot of improved functionality. No brainer. I already posted links to everything you need. Go this order.
  1. Update to B9S and latest Luma, System Menu ETC. ETC. (Use the guide) (Linked)
  2. update old freeshop to Paul's Freeshop fork (linked)
  3. update "that title key site" URL in freeshop (google what's in quotes)
  4. install the bootctr9 payload, moving luma payload, All in the tutorial. (you can change the path Luma update uses too so it works in its config file. Simple text edit) (Linked)
  5. set up GW B9S payload (Linked)
  6. reinstall NTR using BootNTRselector (Linked)
  7. Partially update EMUnand (IF you want to go online and play NEWEST games in GW mode) Optional (Linked Tutorial)
  8. Set up cheats for NTR in proper file structure (LIL and I both posted links with working tutorials.)
If you follow everything right, you'll boot in to GW using R at boot, Luma by pressing nothing. You can set up bootCTR9 to boot NTR on a hotkey too. You can set up Boot CTR9 to have a multi boot menu at boot if you like. The power is yours.
You'll have full functionality all the way around. Win win to me....

Reactions: morocco1 and nccom

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally use CuteNTR, but that’s because I am a Linux user. So I unfortunately can’t help you with that situation.

I haven’t setup cheats in quite some time, but iirc you just need create a folder with the titleID of the game, using SMT4 for example would be 00040000000e5c00, in the plugin folder. Then put the cheats in that folder. If I am remembering wrong, please correct me. I should test this
Where on the SD card, though? Like, what would the folder structure look like?

I know on the GW red card's SD, it would go into a \cheats folder on the root of the SD in question.

However, I still don't know where to put those files for NTR to use, seeing that none of what I've found thus far has explained that in satisfactory detail.

On another note, I did try a couple of alternative viewers... so far, the program that has granted the most success, is snickerstream, albeit still not really working very well. Debating whether to resign my attempts at getting streaming to work at this time until I can work on it again.

However, if I can get cheats to work, then that would help me move forward much easier.

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Where on the SD card, though? Like, what would the folder structure look like?

I know on the GW red card's SD, it would go into a \cheats folder on the root of the SD in question.

However, I still don't know where to put those files for NTR to use, seeing that none of what I've found thus far has explained that in satisfactory detail.

On another note, I did try a couple of alternative viewers... so far, the program that has granted the most success, is snickerstream, albeit still not really working very well. Debating whether to resign my attempts at getting streaming to work at this time until I can work on it again.

However, if I can get cheats to work, then that would help me move forward much easier.

Google "3ds NTR cheat file structure".

Make a folder in the root of your sd card called plugin.

SD:\plugin\[Title ID of game}\cheatfile.plg

The streaming isn't perfect and relies a lot on your router. Slow router/PC CPU = Shitty Streaming,

Don't remove your EMU NAND from the SD. Ill show you how to fix it up and get GW running again if you like once you get updated to B9S and Luma 8.1.1...

gohan127

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i dont mean to hijack the OP his post but i got a similar 3ds here, gw+ luma+11.2(emunand). im afraid to loose my emunand with all of it's CIA's installed. is there a way to convert to b9s and convert my emunand to sysnand safely?

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i dont mean to hijack the OP his post but i got a similar 3ds here, gw+ luma+11.2(emunand). im afraid to loose my emunand with all of it's CIA's installed. is there a way to convert to b9s and convert my emunand to sysnand safely?

Read my suggestions to the OP. IF you move FROM GW to LUMA ONLY you'll have to convert all your GW .SAV files and install them one by one with JKSM. On the official GW Forum, there is an "AIO pack". It has a script that coverts them easier if you like. Cleanest option for you is probably the same thing I suggested before. So basically follow the 3DS guide to update to b9s. There's a section in there on moving over your EMUnand. There is a newer version of bootctr9 that works the same way. You can boot GW with the B9S compatible GW payload. Its on the Official GW forum.(don't think I can link it). Since you still have your 11.2 EMU intact, I would do this.(ILL EDIT THIS AND ADD LINKS TOO)
  • Use Godmode9 (HOLD START on BOOT) to make a BACKUP of your EMUNAND <---- IMPORTANT
  • Follow "The Guide" to go from A9LH to B9S <-- https://3ds.guide/a9lh-to-b9s.html (IF you stop here and don't fix GW you'll need to do the .SAV conversion)
  • Backup EVERYTHING on your 3ds SD CARD.
  • Use GodMode9 to Format SD card (with EMUNAND)
  • Use GodMode9 to RESTORE EMUNAND using the backup you made BEFORE you went from A9LH to B9S
  • Setup BootCTR9 again with a new payload for GW. (Search for "gw payload converted for b9s" on the "Official Gateway Forum" super easy.) It's different from the one Quantum linked. I use this one and I know it works.)
  • B9s Compatible BootCTR9 <--- https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-the-bootctr9-release-thread.435347/page-3#post-7370533
Now you'll have your original EMUNAND on your SYSTEM NAND (updated to 11.6 with B9S IF you followed the guide) AND your EMUNAND Still 11.2 +GW compatible. Now you'll boot to SYSTEMNAND or HOLD R on BOOT to go in to GW MODE in EMUNAND.

NEVER RUN GW ON SYSTEM NAND ABOVE 11.2 OR BAD STUFF HAPPENS....

IF you want to convert saves from .SAV format so you can use them in CIA versions of the same game there is a process. Also IF you skip getting GW functional again and just follow the guide you'll need to do this to get your saves functional. https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutoria...v-to-eshop-3ds-3dz-with-savedatafiler.380246/

IF you want to go online or play the newest games with your GW on EMUNAND you can follow this to make a 11.2/11.6 Hybrid EMUNAND
https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-get-11-4-emunand-working-on-gateway-with-online-access.472624/

That's truly my best recommendation. You'll be able to use your GW AND have a full updated safe functional Luma environment for day to day.

Follow https://3ds.guide/a9lh-to-b9s (don't follow the Move emuNAND section) then, and you'll need this to get into Gateway mode afterward https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-using-luma3ds-gateway-on-b9s.431691/

That works but by not copying over the emunand you'll have a FRESH EMPTY system nand in Luma. Seems like a hassle to reinstall everything. I presume from here on out Luma will be your GO TO annd GW when you feel like it. I liked having my GW EMUNAND copied over to SYSTEMNAND and then I just GUTTED my EMUnand to make it small and ensured i wasn't duplicating titles. It depends on your goals I suppose That's your prerogative. I like to backup EMUNAND, copy EMUNAND to SYSTEMNAND and inject the backup in to a blank EMUNAND to restore the original one because EMU nands are small enough I don't mind having it there. I then went in to my EMUNAND, unlinked it and deleted anything I was only going to play on Luma. I left a few things on the GW side so it's easier for me but its pretty much an EMUNAND I only use for paying games off the red card.

IF you don't do that youll have to RECREATE an EMUNAND, then DOWNGRADE it to use GW in the future (Unless and update happens, ha hah ah ha ha ha)

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not even going to justify that, with a response.

Here's the problem.

Instructions. not. CLEAR. Though given the attitude I'm predictably getting, clearly either someone's found instructions I have not yet found, or you're just posting because you want to be disruptive.

NTR, by its nature, isn't very clear at all. Most of what I've found regarding streaming gameplay from the 3DS assumes NTR version 3.4... but the selector that is available via FBI's TitleDB, only allows for choosing 3.2, 3.3, and 3.6. On the face of it, it shouldn't matter, as long as it works. But none are.

Same with the cheats. it's being claimed that current NTR (which I can only assume is 3.6) can directly accept Gateshark codes. But while I get that it might need separate folders for each title, nobody explained where on the SD card those folders should be. A subfolder in the NTR directory? On the root of the SD card meant for the (N)3DS? So as it is, I can't even attempt to see if they work. And until I can confirm that at least NTR cheats are working, I'm not motivated to move on to B9S from A9LH. Is THAT perfectly clear enough?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay