[Release] Snickerstream - Revived! A proper release with lots of improvements and new features.

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by RattletraPM, Nov 2, 2017.

1. RattletraPM
    OP

RattletraPM GBAtemp Regular

Jan 18, 2017
    Italy
    Spagonia
    Last updated: 11/03/2018 (v0.90b) - "The Unexpected Update": Lots of new features and improvements!

Yep, Snickerstream's back from the dead and is better than ever, bringing much better performance when streaming, lots of new features, bugfixes and more - all in a proper release this time instead of a mere PoC! (Also, the only reason I'm calling this a beta is because I still want to code in some more stuff, but I feel that this version is stable enough for everyday use!)

If you don't know what Snickerstream is, here's a quote from the readme:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

So, you may ask, what does Snickerstream bring to the table compared to other alternatives? Well, here's list of improvements over NTRViewer:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
    And this is this version's full changelog, highlighting what has been added, modified and fixed!

New features:
    • Snickerstream will now try to allow itself through Windows Firewall if ran as admin (requires Windows Vista/Server 2008 or later and the script to be compiled).
    • An update warner has been added, it will check for new versions as soon as Snickerstream has been launched (can be disabled, only works for official releases). Thanks to Real96 for the suggestion!
    • Auto-disconnect feature: Snickerstream will now automatically return to the connection window if the 3DS disconnects (aka a certain amount of time passes without any frames being recieved). The default amount is set to 6 seconds but can be adjusted by adding/editing ReturnAfterMsec in settings.ini (setting it to 0 or a negative value will disable this feature). Thanks to /u/DaWoblefet on the 3dshacks subreddit for the suggestion!
    • Frame limiter (disabled by default): you can now limit the number of frames per second displayed by the prioritized screen. Useful if you have a bad connection or you prefer a stream with a constant framerate rather than having your FPS jump around to the maximum possible value at all times. This feature can be enabled by adding/editing Framelimit=XX in settings.ini, where XX specifies the desired maximum FPS you want for the prioritized screen (setting it to 0 or a negative value will disable it). If enabled, the frame prioritized screen’s FPS will be displayed on the title bar, thus letting you know that the limiter is working as intended.
    Improvements & Bug fixes:
    • The internal UDP buffer has been decreased from 2000 to 1448 bytes, slightly improving performance and decreasing resource usage.
    • The title bar will now show the client’s status while waiting for a 3DS to connect (ex. “Starting remoteplay…”, “Connecting…”, etc.)
    • Screenshots will only capture the windows’ contents, with the mouse cursor being hidden again.
    • If Snickerstream won’t automatically detect your monitor’s scaling settings you’ll be able to manually set the streaming window’s initial size by setting “CustomWidth” and “CustomHeight” to your preferred values in settings.ini. Please note that these options will only resize the window and WON’T scale its contents! (See the wiki on GitHub for more info)
    NOTE: If you’ve been using unstable Snickerstream builds, please note that the INI key “Framelock” has been renamed to “Framelimit”!

If you want a quick tutorial, there's one included in the readme file. Also, if you have any problems, check the "troubleshooting" section of the readme and, if you don't resolve your issue this way, feel free to ask help in this thread! (Be sure to include a log with a loglevel of 3! You can change Loglevel to 3 in settings.ini and Snickerstream will start logging to log.txt when you open it.) There's also a list of FAQs now.

And now the good stuff: download links!

Releases / Source (GitHub)

Happy streaming! :D

Last edited by RattletraPM, Mar 11, 2018
  2. KunoichiZ

KunoichiZ GBAtemp Guru

Mar 16, 2012
    United States
    Nicely done! I'll have to try this out when I get the chance.

RattletraPM likes this.
  3. Flaflo

Flaflo Member

Newcomer
    Apr 24, 2014
    Germany
    So as this is using much less ram, is it able to stream from o3DS?

4. RattletraPM
    OP

Jan 18, 2017
    Italy
    Spagonia
    Feel free to tell me what you think when you do! :D

No, this is an alternative to the NTRViewer client. It still uses NTR CFW to stream the screens.

KunoichiZ likes this.
  5. Flaflo

Flaflo Member

Newcomer
    Apr 24, 2014
    Germany
    Ok i just noticed how dumb this question was, bcause it just saves ram on computer. I wanna die right now :ohnoes:

Shadow#1 likes this.
  6. Ricken

Ricken This is your only chance.

Jan 19, 2016
    United States
    Shibuya, The small one from Vegas
    Dang, this is great!
    Thanks a mil ^_^

7. RattletraPM
    OP

Jan 18, 2017
    Italy
    Spagonia
    <sarcasm>Shame on you, you will be publicly executed and your post will be remembered as the dumbest of them all!</sarcasm>

Don't be so harsh torwards yourself! There's no such thing as a dumb question ;)
    Besides, there's a homebrew streaming app for Old3DS already (HorizonScreen). It's currently not supported by Snickerstream because of a couple of reasons (poor streaming performance on O3DS, different protocol, etc.) so it isn't a dumb one!

No prob, I'm glad you like it! :D

Ricken likes this.
  8. petethepug

petethepug PUG

May 2, 2016
    United States
    COMPUTER
    Question:
    Do the releases include snicker bars

9. RattletraPM
    OP

Jan 18, 2017
    Italy
    Spagonia
    No, I ate them all while developing it. It might include slight traces of bricks tho.

THEELEMENTKH likes this.
  10. petethepug

petethepug PUG

May 2, 2016
    United States
    COMPUTER
    Dang it, I was really hoping I could grab one this evening :(. I never stream or record anyway on my 3ds but the performance of the streaming test looks neat.

11. Eix

Eix Trap Waifu (I require all snuggles, E'icks not X)

May 27, 2017
    United States
    Lurking in the Void for a bit
    hmm
    with Rei-Six supporting ntr now i might check this out
    probably will forget to tho -_-
    Edit: RIP
    172 people currently viewing this thread
    140 guests and 32 members

Last edited by Eix, Nov 2, 2017
  12. BlueFox gui

BlueFox gui SOMEONE

Feb 4, 2016
    Brazil
    NAS TERRAS DE HUE BR
    awh FUCK no old3DS? : (

13. KunoichiZ

KunoichiZ GBAtemp Guru

Mar 16, 2012
    United States
    As explained above, no o3DS support.

14. BlueFox gui

BlueFox gui SOMEONE

Feb 4, 2016
    Brazil
    NAS TERRAS DE HUE BR
    thats why i said, what a shame : (

15. Eix

Eix Trap Waifu (I require all snuggles, E'icks not X)

May 27, 2017
    United States
    Lurking in the Void for a bit
    .-.
    really?
    160 guests???
    still 30+ members is impressive Screenshot at 2017-11-02 18-02-01.png

16. Bluespheal

Bluespheal GBAtemp Regular

Sep 5, 2016
    Mexico
    Any hope for a Mac release? sorry if this is a dumb question, I will not have access to a windows computer until after the weekend, also I like to keep everything tidy in one computer.

17. RattletraPM
    OP

Jan 18, 2017
    Italy
    Spagonia
    It's probably people from /r/3dshacks :rofl2:

Not possible, sorry. As much as I like Linux, AutoIt is a windows-only scripting language =/
    The client is made completely with built-in functions tho (the only UDF I used is made by me with no external calls or DLLs) and this means it should work just fine under Wine.

Bluespheal and Eix like this.
  18. Bluespheal

Bluespheal GBAtemp Regular

Sep 5, 2016
    Mexico
    Thanks for the response, I'll use wine then, that should work well enough :)

19. KeoniAzugon

KeoniAzugon GBAtemp Regular

Mar 21, 2016
    United States
    sweet though im still on o3DS. So... ill just lerk and watch this post. thanks op.

BlueFox gui and Eix like this.
  20. RattletraPM
    OP

Jan 18, 2017
    Italy
    Spagonia
    Yup, I'm sorry to all Old 3DS users, but that isn't Snickerstream's fault. I'd gladly have supported that too if it was possible =/

BlueFox gui and KeoniAzugon like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice