Hacking 【Tutorial】How to play Mario Kart 8 DLC tracks in Loadiine in a quick/dirty way

Masterwin

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
@Reecey Are you trying to achieve something more than described here? I'm not sure what exactly you're after, but if it's activating the DLC files, this has been tried before and cannot be achieved in a simple way. Something to do with a random ticket that's downloaded only when the DLC is actually purchased and decrypts the necessary data to activate the DLC.

Nice job @Masterwin , now will you add the music part for the Spanish-speaking world?

yes , I'm testing it when work well, I'll add the music for Spanish speakers.

So this is how to install the DLC for Loadiine? I don't speak Spanish but I get it for the most part :P

yes , but more to install is to replace:P

Last edited by Masterwin,
Reactions: memomo
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Okay, first of all, .bars files ARE NOT background music. They're sound effects for the corresponding course/character/whatever.

.bars files are SARC archives with .bfwav files inside. Comprised mostly of regular lossless audio, they sometimes contain .dsp files that have been compressed into .bfwav. They're used to contain character voices, various sound effects for the course (hint: here's what I dumped from a .bars file; https://clyp.it/z0azufch) and in some cases, storing unused content, usually audio (hint #2: In Big Blue's files, you can see the alternate theme for when you finish the race (Fun Fact: they spelled it "Reslut" instead of "Result")).

Secondly, the dump is available via Ryanrocks462's Pastebin page. He dumped the entire game + both DLC packs, so just go there to find the real deal. ;)

And lastly, as @twc said, use NW4F (Nintendo's SDK for Wii U) to make your own effects, if you want to. There's model editors, sound makers, effect makers, it's basically a god damn dream for modding. Link is also on Ryanrocks462's Pastebin.

Reactions: eco95 and Masterwin
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Two important notes added in post.

First, the DLC has its own place in the files. If you have the files, you can try to put them in the game. I highlighted "try" because I don't know what will happen at all if you do this.

Here's a direct quote from the MK8 Wiiki: "Both DLC Packs 1 & 2 are Stored on the Wii U File System and are mounted to /vol/aoc0005000c1010ec00 However, the Contents of this directory only store Course, Texture, & Model data. It Does Not store any music Nor 200CC update data."

Note number two: the reason the game crashes after you swap the .bars files is because of a file named _param.bin. Inside, there is a list of filenames that must be inside the .bars file in order for it to play at all. Naturally, every _param.bin file is different, so taking another course's file would crash the game. Keep in mind that you can remove or edit the filenames from the .bin file, so you don't have to worry about corruption. This means file swaps will also work this way, either mangling with the .bin file, or renaming other files accordingly to the .bin file.

Last edited by lonemoonHD,
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Can't wait until all of this is looked into as much as mkwii. Finally get rid of all the koopalings kids and maybe add some better characters.
Just be wary of the _param.bin files. And also repacking SARCs and compressing back .szs files. You should be good afterwards. PM me if you want to know something (tools, file formats, whatever). :P

Masterwin

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain

@Reecey Are you trying to achieve something more than described here? I'm not sure what exactly you're after, but if it's activating the DLC files, this has been tried before and cannot be achieved in a simple way. Something to do with a random ticket that's downloaded only when the DLC is actually purchased and decrypts the necessary data to activate the DLC.

Nice job @Masterwin , now will you add the music part for the Spanish-speaking world?

Complete with music ! Tested with GX2 mode SSB

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
I think to get this working correctly Dimok needs to implement in gx2, which should not be to hard, a way of loadiine finding the DLC folder in this case would be aoc0005000c1010ec00 which goes next to the code & content folders inside your sd card. If this was done the DLC content would work 100% properly. He got the meta folders working so I cannot see why this should be any different.

Last edited by Reecey,

jebediah

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Masterwin Well done :)

I'm trying to get the DLC characters in the party (replacing original ones), but I have *MASSIVE* difficulties getting the voices to work, the main reason being the community seems to have no working SARC packer available which would allow us to pack DLC voices inside original character's voice archives. SARC packers used for the 3DS don't work because they use little endian byte order mark instead of the big endian mark used by the Wii U, and the one created by NWPlayer123 included in SARCTools doesn't achieve packing in a way that the Wii U recognises. A simple extract and repack without editing the files shows the resulting SARC is not the same (different file size, different hex values in the header, and different 00 spaces at recurring locations within the archive). NWPlayer123's SARC extractor works like a charm though, but we need a working packer as of today.

I gave a go at the sarc.py script made by ObsidianX as part of the 3dstools utilities, as it claims it can create SARC archives using a big endian option. However, either I can't make it work (which is very well possible) or the big endian option isn't working, as NWPlater123's SARCExtract tells me the resulting archive was written in little endian indeed.

Last option if we can't pack: hex editing the sarc directly, where the _param.bin and rest of the .bfwav file and content appear as clear as when extracted. I desperately made a fool of myself messing around with this, but to no avail. You have the right to laugh now ;)

So the only thing I managed to do was to extract an original character's menu voice archive (the sound they make at selecting screen, which lies in a separate archive in content/audio/driver_menu), replace the .bfwav sound file with that of a DLC character, rename it as the original character's file, repack using NWPlayer123's SARCPack, and then using a hex editor to replace its header with the one found in the original character archive (from first byte to the "FWAV" mark where the sound file's data begins). This way was the only way to get the selection screen voice to work.

However, the same doesn't work with the race voice archives found in content/audio/driver, and it would be virtually impossible to match the 70+ .bfwav file names from DLC to original characters anyway, as their number and names vary so much from character to character (especially Tanuki Mario's which are completely different from the rest).

Anybody getting aboard this boat, share your ideas!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: These cotton candy grapes be pretty addictive