Hacking Would you pick an R4 over M3 Simply to save $5?

kalibar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to decide which one to pick up. It's been said (guessed?) that one could put either version of the software on either cart since they're identical pieces of equipment. Is this true? Is the M3's $5 price bump over the R4 simply because the M3 name is backing it?

Thanks!

SynGamer

Trophies
Website
syngamer.com
XP
Country
United States
I chose the R4...based on reviews. So far everyone has said it is well-built (solid) and all the DS games are working (though download play varies). Your choice, but even if the R4 'team' drops off the face of the earth, we can still use the M3 firmware as i believe someone already hacked it to work on an R4...

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yes the name is worth 5 dollars. In terms of efficiency in updates, it's arguable to which company will provide more fixes. At the moment, M3 has neglected their Simply customers, not even providing a webpage to acknowledge the fact they have such a product. R4 however, have released 4 firmware updates since release in mid December. It's up to you really. R4 has also promised a firmware 1.05 which is set to enable skinning of the interface and fix the download play problems. They seem to react to customer needs with greater enthusiasm.

leetdude_007

Official GBAtemp Assassin That Has Never Killed An
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Update 1.05 has already come out for English users! That's awesome. As for M3's lack of response to a DAT updates.. I would have to say that they're like old-timers in this business. They can be slow and all, but their personality isn't going to change any time soon, unless something devastating happens.
M3 Simply reviews haven't been very thorough so far, and both the R4 and Simply are new products.

So what can we say? Only in time will we be able to see how much they really are apart from each other.

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Update 1.05 has already come out for English users!

Holy shit! You're right. They said a couple of weeks
sleep.gif
. This just further justifies their position as one of the leaders in the business

leetdude_007

Official GBAtemp Assassin That Has Never Killed An
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Holy shit! You're right. They said a couple of weeks
sleep.gif
. This just further justifies their position as one of the leaders in the business

What are you talking about? They just started. I would give them at least a year before saying anything. Learn your rates!

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
What are you talking about? They just started. I would give them at least a year before saying anything. Learn your rates!

Well judging from their current performance, I'm quite certain they'll be in the market for some time to come, especially after the attention the R4DS has been receiving. They even replied to me in an email confirming their long term prospect of staying in the R4 market, and their definite interest to create a new product.

Of course, perhaps you are correct and we should wait for R4 to take a firmer position in the market, however based on their current performance, they haven't done anything but please their customers.

Monkey01

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
R4 has also promised a firmware 1.05 which is set to enable skinning of the interface and fix the download play problems. They seem to react to customer needs with greater enthusiasm.

Where'd you read that? Their changelog says only:
Update R4 v1.05 kernel 2007-1-5
1. Supports DIY skin
2. SHELL, MOONSHL,_SYSTEM_ directory and _DS_MSHL.NDS are invisible in "display game only" mode
3. Supports 4-scale-lightness adjustment (DSLite only)

Also I don't think supporting complex single card download play is a simple firmware upgrade, ninjads and ezflash also have all allready said they know the problem and are looking for the solution some time ago, but none have been able to solve it... I do wonder how ds-x can do it while all the rest can't though...

I chose the R4...based on reviews. So far everyone has said it is well-built (solid) and all the DS games are working (though download play varies).
Yeah, but have you read M3 Simply reviews? I haven't heard any problems with that either?
Which one will be better in the end is not predicable yet, they're both the same devices, but at the moment R4 is a little better because it's skinnable, but I'm pretty sure we'll see such an update from M3 Simply too...

DSLite

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm not going to defend the R4, but I would never pay extra just for the name. Not in the flash card scene.

Check out the SuperCard DS were tons of people sticked with just because the 'SuperCard' label, it ended up in a big disappointment for many.

I take the point you want your card backed a by reliable team (which is very subjective) because of firmware updates, but I would compare the features and price of each card, without looking at the name and in the end decide what a name means to me.

It's not about the money (who cares 5 bucks more or less), but the principle. I find all the Chinese teams too unreliable to do so.

But in this case, for all who doesn't know: the R4 and M3 Simply (and who knows what clones to come) are based on the very same kernel. Don't stare blind on the name M3, they just OEM'ed it! They just created another selling point to keep the cash flowing and attracting customers, their real slot-1 solution is not yet released. Don't let you fool, Chinese are certainly not stupid!

Anyway, if you want to, you can transform a R4 into a M3 Simply and vice versa by slightly modifying your card, it's very easy.

Oh yes, you can always get yourself a M3 Simply skin on your R4 if you're that fanboy of M3.

Fanboys are so annoying, whether they have good or bad experiences with whatever what team, they keep fighting for that team just because they own one of their products. Don't be so childish, don't stick blunt with team X or Y, stay open for the best card that fits you mosts and compare on a per-card-basis.

Do something good with your $5, donate it to Wikipedia instead, they can use it very well.
Although it's hard, you better await all slot-1 reviews.
If you already own a decent slot-2 solution were you're happy with, do not get brainwashed, don't buy a slot-1 if you don't have a reason to do so!

lurker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
R4, because the guy who tried to sell me an M3 Simply told me I needed to flash it. And not normal FlashMe, he said there was something where you insert a GBA cart and a PassMe 2 and you press some buttons and it gets flashed.

No kidding.

ooh44

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thailand
I've got both R4,M3 Slot-1

It do like the same thing. Firmware can be hacked (I havn't try this yet).
M3 base skin is nicer than R4. but R4 now can customize your own skin.

At here (local store), M3 is cheaper than R4 approx 5 bucks!

and I don't know about the above reply. flash what?

I tested on not-flased DS/ Kingston 1GB.
both R4/M3 can boot well and can boot my SC Rumble at slot-2.

In my opinion I prefer R4 more. Nice package, update often

Monkey01

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
R4, because the guy who tried to sell me an M3 Simply told me I needed to flash it. And not normal FlashMe, he said there was something where you insert a GBA cart and a PassMe 2 and you press some buttons and it gets flashed.

No kidding.
Then buy it from someone more reliable, cause that story is just bullcrap. It went that way when slot2 carts were all new and so, but from the slot one solutions, the only cartridge not acting as a passme is dslink and even that one doesn't necessarily need a flashed ds if you're willing to switch mk4 and dslink all the time...
R4 works the exact same way as M3 Simply, and not buying one of them because someone said something bullshitty 'bout it is a stupid reason to not buy it.

Katalyst

Johnald Everyperson
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Anyway, if you want to, you can transform a R4 into a M3 Simply and vice versa by slightly modifying your card, it's very easy.
...I've seen people making these statements a bunch of times but my question would be, why the hell would you want to do that (right now)? As of right now, they are exactly the same. R4's update allows the skinning (read: changing the background and nothing else). Maybe later down the line if one develops firmware with more compatibility or something over the other, but as of right now, it makes no sense to swap firmware.

kalibar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While I do appreciate the replies, I'm still curious about my original question -- the only poster here who has asserted that either cart can be made to behave exactly like the other is "DSLite". Do you own an R4 and/or M3 Simply and have you done this switch? I realize it might seem like a bit silly of a question, but I'm super-excited about this product and would like to have M3 team's updates available to me down the line given their strong reputation in the flashcart business (referred to hereafter as "da biz").

R4 team's response to giving people what they want straight out the gate has been really impressive, though.

Katalyst

Johnald Everyperson
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
To answer your original question, yes. I would pick (and already have) and R4 over M3 Simply to save $5. As of right, from the information out there, they are exactly the same. Just based on that, I'll let you make the better decision as a consumer. Now as far as future changes, currently the R4 team seems to be doing pretty well on getting things fixed/changed, listening to the community, updates, etc. Not to say that M3 wouldn't do the same thing. Being that they are still the same, I forsee them doing the same updates in a "M3 added this! *rushes to code the same addition*" or "R4 added this *rushes to code the same addition*" fashion. Being able to swap the firmware of course gets rid of this factor and makes them the same once again. Well, the same as in price being the only difference. So the choice is really up to you. If $5 means enough to you, get the R4. If $5 ain't shit to ya, flip a coin and pick.

phoood

taking it to a whole new level.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
We all know that if there's a name behind a product, it's usually good.
But we all know that the supercard ds sucked ass.
We knew that after people bought it.
But we also know that the r4 and the m3 simply are almost identical.
And because of that, we know that the simply simply can't[\b] suck ass.
So I'd go for the m3 simply.
But actually I'd wait for a review, instead of rushing in blindly.

Hairy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'd get the R4DS. It's freaking awesome. 100% compatibility with all the games I've tried so far. Also, the download play works just fine for the games I've tried it on .... Ridge Racer, Bomberman Touch Land (spelling?), Kirby Squeak Squad. I haven't tried it on any others and homebrew compatibility isn't much of a big deal to me. Get the R4DS. I swear, it's got to be one of the best, if not the best, out there at this time.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-