Hacking Original Game Save On G6 Lite?

seven5

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
This might be a crazy question. I'm new to DS 'fun'. I just got my G6 Lite, and I was wondering if there was any way to retrieve the saves off my original game cards.

If so, does anyone have any links or feel like writing a quick tutorial? Thanks!

temper

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Here's a quick tutorial.

Go to the game you want to backup the save for. Then press Select. Then choose DS->Default

How would this work? If I bought for example New Super Mario and finished it, the gamesave is on the cart, right? How can I then transfer this gamesave, to my G6 Lite I got yesterday?

Or do I need to play all levels all over?
smile.gif

Falkentyne

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's a quick tutorial.

Go to the game you want to backup the save for. Then press Select. Then choose DS->Default

You may want to re-read his post again.

He wants to copy the saves from his ORIGINAL CARTS.

To answer his question:
You can't do this with the G6 Lite, as it has no way to connect the cartridge. You need another device which I assume is also the same device that is used for *dumping* the ROM itself to a file on a PC. Of course, if you are playing on an emulator like VBA, using VBA saves is easy: just "write" (Patch) the G6L created save files with the VBA .sav file (browse for it and "write" it into the G6L file).

But that's not going to help you for the moment, though
frown.gif

beedog19

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe that a quick search would do wonders for ya. From what I've heard is if you have a pass device in once it's goin pop it out, put in the origional cart, hit select and ds->default.

outphase

Custom title
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I believe that a quick search would do wonders for ya. From what I've heard is if you have a pass device in once it's goin pop it out, put in the origional cart, hit select and ds->default.

Or read my post

Here's a quick tutorial.

Here's a quick tutorial.

You may want to re-read his post again.

He wants to copy the saves from his ORIGINAL CARTS.

To answer his question:
You can't do this with the G6 Lite, as it has no way to connect the cartridge. You need another device which I assume is also the same device that is used for *dumping* the ROM itself to a file on a PC. Of course, if you are playing on an emulator like VBA, using VBA saves is easy: just "write" (Patch) the G6L created save files with the VBA .sav file (browse for it and "write" it into the G6L file).

But that's not going to help you for the moment, though
frown.gif

I believe you are referring to gba games, I am referring to DS games

Killermech

Cookie Monster
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yes, you can transfer saves to the actual ds cart to the rom and the other way perfectly fine. I've done this with Tetris and Mario kart using the 'select' 'ds->default / default->ds'.

So a third program such as rein is not neccessery with G6.

arcy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I tried the ds -> default / default -> ds with Brain Age. On both options, the screen will say back up was saved but when exploring my g6 lite with windows explorer, I can't find the save file anywhere?

What folder does the save go into (the save from the cartridge to the g lite)?

I'm a bit more hesistant to try this with my nintendogs or animal crossing because thats data i do not want to lose!

arcy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
well i'm talking about the save from the cartridge to the g6 lite.

does there have to be a back up of the rom while the original cartridge is in for the save to transfer?

because I'm trying to just extract the save from the cartridge onto the g6 lite. with both ds -> default / default -> it says back up saved but I have no idea where it went.

What you're saying is that you press select on the image that I want the save to go into. Well, I never selected an image nor is the same back-up of the catridge that i'm trying to extract the save from there.

***UPDATE***
n/m i figured it out at the expense of my metroid prime hunters save game
cry.gif

the readme in the g6 is backwards. the proper way of doing it is :

from game cartridge to g6 : ds -> default
from g6 to game cartridge: default -> ds

My metroid save was lost because the readme stated that default to ds was the one for cartridge to g6. HOWEVER IT IS NOT. i went to my backup and there was no progress...so i loaded up my cartridge and to my dismay, my save game was gone. so i started two new games then transfered those saves from cartrdige to ds. on the backup in the g6 lite, the catridge save games were available.

so. there you go. no other program is needed for backing up cartridge saves.

on a personal note, i'm not backin up my animal crossing save to g6. I wouldn't be able to get any of those toy r us downloads if i went in there with my g6! gotta use the cartridge
lecture.gif

Falkentyne

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, thanks for the information on backing up.
I had no idea that you could remove the passcard from the unit with the power on (i assumed it was reading it the entire time). I also don't know why I mentioned visualboy advance...I guess I got mixed up with .SAV files.
I was able to backup my cartridge Castlevania DOS save to my G6 lite with the instructions given; now I can safely store my cart in the case
smile.gif
Thanks.

chibityga

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well i'm talking about the save from the cartridge to the g6 lite.

does there have to be a back up of the rom while the original cartridge is in for the save to transfer?

because I'm trying to just extract the save from the cartridge onto the g6 lite. with both ds -> default / default -> it says back up saved but I have no idea where it went.

What you're saying is that you press select on the image that I want the save to go into. Well, I never selected an image nor is the same back-up of the catridge that i'm trying to extract the save from there.

***UPDATE***
n/m i figured it out at the expense of my metroid prime hunters save gameÂ
cry.gif

the readme in the g6 is backwards. the proper way of doing it is :

from game cartridge to g6 : ds -> default
from g6 to game cartridge: default -> ds

My metroid save was lost because the readme stated that default to ds was the one for cartridge to g6. HOWEVER IT IS NOT. i went to my backup and there was no progress...so i loaded up my cartridge and to my dismay, my save game was gone. so i started two new games then transfered those saves from cartrdige to ds. on the backup in the g6 lite, the catridge save games were available.

so. there you go. no other program is needed for backing up cartridge saves.

on a personal note, i'm not backin up my animal crossing save to g6. I wouldn't be able to get any of those toy r us downloads if i went in there with my g6! gotta use the cartridgeÂ
lecture.gif

Wait... so you can't get the Toys R Us Animal Crossing items using a G6?

SkH

Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
unsure.gif
I wonder... This will work in the "GBA mode" in the G6 Lite? (With re-inserting the G6 Lite)

Topsy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks guys! This really worked and I was able to rescue my DS carts save games! Great post/tutorial seven5!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/rMHTo4sAYKA?si=UTMogWR09JOPIPF_