Original Game Save On G6 Lite?

Discussion in 'Other Flashing Hardware & Software' started by seven5, Jul 25, 2006.

Jul 25, 2006

Original Game Save On G6 Lite? by seven5 at 2:58 AM (1,906 Views / 0 Likes) 17 replies

1. seven5
    OP

Newcomer seven5 Newbie

Featured Posts:
    This might be a crazy question. I'm new to DS 'fun'. I just got my G6 Lite, and I was wondering if there was any way to retrieve the saves off my original game cards.

If so, does anyone have any links or feel like writing a quick tutorial? Thanks!

2. outphase

Member outphase Custom title

Featured Posts:
    United States
    Here's a quick tutorial.

Go to the game you want to backup the save for. Then press Select. Then choose DS->Default

3. temper

Newcomer temper Newbie

Featured Posts:
    Tunisia

How would this work? If I bought for example New Super Mario and finished it, the gamesave is on the cart, right? How can I then transfer this gamesave, to my G6 Lite I got yesterday?

Or do I need to play all levels all over? [​IMG]

4. Falkentyne

Member Falkentyne GBAtemp Regular

Featured Posts:
    United States

You may want to re-read his post again.

He wants to copy the saves from his ORIGINAL CARTS.

To answer his question:
    You can't do this with the G6 Lite, as it has no way to connect the cartridge. You need another device which I assume is also the same device that is used for *dumping* the ROM itself to a file on a PC. Of course, if you are playing on an emulator like VBA, using VBA saves is easy: just "write" (Patch) the G6L created save files with the VBA .sav file (browse for it and "write" it into the G6L file).

But that's not going to help you for the moment, though [​IMG]

5. beedog19

Member beedog19 GBAtemp Fan

Featured Posts:
    United States
    I believe that a quick search would do wonders for ya. From what I've heard is if you have a pass device in once it's goin pop it out, put in the origional cart, hit select and ds->default.

6. outphase

Featured Posts:
    United States
    I believe you are referring to gba games, I am referring to DS games

7. Killermech

Member Killermech Cookie Monster

Featured Posts:
    Sweden
    Yes, you can transfer saves to the actual ds cart to the rom and the other way perfectly fine. I've done this with Tetris and Mario kart using the 'select' 'ds->default / default->ds'.

So a third program such as rein is not neccessery with G6.

8. arcy

Newcomer arcy Advanced Member

Featured Posts:
    I tried the ds -> default / default -> ds with Brain Age. On both options, the screen will say back up was saved but when exploring my g6 lite with windows explorer, I can't find the save file anywhere?

What folder does the save go into (the save from the cartridge to the g lite)?

I'm a bit more hesistant to try this with my nintendogs or animal crossing because thats data i do not want to lose!

9. outphase

Featured Posts:
    United States
    it goes into whatever game you pressed select on

10. arcy

Newcomer arcy Advanced Member

Featured Posts:
    well i'm talking about the save from the cartridge to the g6 lite.

does there have to be a back up of the rom while the original cartridge is in for the save to transfer?

because I'm trying to just extract the save from the cartridge onto the g6 lite. with both ds -> default / default -> it says back up saved but I have no idea where it went.

What you're saying is that you press select on the image that I want the save to go into. Well, I never selected an image nor is the same back-up of the catridge that i'm trying to extract the save from there.

***UPDATE***
    n/m i figured it out at the expense of my metroid prime hunters save game [​IMG]
    the readme in the g6 is backwards. the proper way of doing it is :

from game cartridge to g6 : ds -> default
    from g6 to game cartridge: default -> ds

My metroid save was lost because the readme stated that default to ds was the one for cartridge to g6. HOWEVER IT IS NOT. i went to my backup and there was no progress...so i loaded up my cartridge and to my dismay, my save game was gone. so i started two new games then transfered those saves from cartrdige to ds. on the backup in the g6 lite, the catridge save games were available.

so. there you go. no other program is needed for backing up cartridge saves.

on a personal note, i'm not backin up my animal crossing save to g6. I wouldn't be able to get any of those toy r us downloads if i went in there with my g6! gotta use the cartridge [​IMG]

11. Falkentyne

Member Falkentyne GBAtemp Regular

Featured Posts:
    United States
    Wow, thanks for the information on backing up.
    I had no idea that you could remove the passcard from the unit with the power on (i assumed it was reading it the entire time). I also don't know why I mentioned visualboy advance...I guess I got mixed up with .SAV files.
    I was able to backup my cartridge Castlevania DOS save to my G6 lite with the instructions given; now I can safely store my cart in the case [​IMG] Thanks.

12. chibityga

Newcomer chibityga Member

Featured Posts:
    United States
    Wait... so you can't get the Toys R Us Animal Crossing items using a G6?

13. pelago

Member pelago Member

Featured Posts:
    United Kingdom
    Yes, I was wondering about that. How do the Toys R Us downloads work? Do you have to have the game loaded to receive them, or is it down via download play from the DS main menu?

14. outphase

Featured Posts:
    United States
    Something about sending off a message bottle i think. Sounds like it's actually done in-game which should work

15. seven5
    OP

Newcomer seven5 Newbie

Featured Posts:
    Hey guys. Thanks for the help!! I really wasn't expecting that i could even did this. I"m glad I gave it a go! All my original game saves are on my G6 Lite now!

I wrote up a post about it, so i could get the word out and archive the help. Thanks!

http://www.jonsthoughtsoneverything.com/20...h-your-g6-lite/

16. SkH

Member SkH GBAtemp Maniac

Featured Posts:
    Algeria
    [​IMG] I wonder... This will work in the "GBA mode" in the G6 Lite? (With re-inserting the G6 Lite)

17. Topsy

Member Topsy GBAtemp Regular

Featured Posts:
    Canada
    Thanks guys! This really worked and I was able to rescue my DS carts save games! Great post/tutorial seven5!

18. fatfree

Newcomer fatfree Advanced Member

Featured Posts:

I'd like to know this too?