Homebrew How to get Windows on your DS

nl255

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Here is a guide to getting Windows running on the DS using dsx86. Unfortunately, dsx86 only emulates a 186 (i.e. 286 real mode only) so you are limited to Windows 2.03 and it is very hard to find Windows 2.x software. Also, you have to know how to use a hex editor as it is necessary to remove a MSDOS version check in Windows (it doesn't like DOS versions after 4.0). The next dsx86 version is supposed to have SETVER support so hex editing won't be required.

**WARNING - do not run Windows 2.03 setup.exe on your computer, as it will mess up your existing XP/Vista/7 installation - WARNING***

1. install dsx86 and make sure you have 4dos in X:\4dos\ and not X:\data\dsx86\4dos\ .
2. Obtain Windows 2.03 and put all the installation files (all 9 disks) in X:\w2inst
3. load dsx86 and run setup.exe, install to a hard disk, c:\windows (i.e. defaults)
4. be sure to choose EGA graphics (the first choice) and no mouse
5. go to X:\WINDOWS and open win200.bin in a hex editor
6. go to offset 0xA926 and replace 76 with EB (this removes the MSDOS version check)
7. load dsx86 again and run windows (cd windows, win)
8. enjoy

A few notes: The clock will not display any time due to the lack of date/time support. Also note that there isn't much software for Windows 2.03, all the good stuff requires 3.x.

Update - I will probably make an IPS patch later for it.

Reactions: MyDePain

Saddamsdevil

Trophies
XP
Country
Can you run dos games through this? Seems awesome
biggrin.gif

lolzed

The GBAtemp Pichu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Saddamsdevil said:
jurassicplayer said:
Saddamsdevil said:
biggrin.gif
I think originally it was for some DOS games...

I know that windows 2.03 was able to, but I meant CAN you run DOS games through this emulation?
thats what he's saying.DSx86 is a DOS emulator(particularly games that run on a spec Intel chip).Though recently the author was able to get Win 2.03 running

Saddamsdevil

Trophies
XP
Country
lolzed said:
Saddamsdevil said:
jurassicplayer said:
Saddamsdevil said:
biggrin.gif

I know that windows 2.03 was able to, but I meant CAN you run DOS games through this emulation?
thats what he's saying.DSx86 is a DOS emulator(particularly games that run on a spec Intel chip).Though recently the author was able to get Win 2.03 running
Let me rephrase, can you, under this windows version, run dos games? So you can use it as some kind of loader.

Sorry if I caused confusion.

nl255

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Saddamsdevil said:
lolzed said:
Saddamsdevil said:
jurassicplayer said:
Saddamsdevil said:
biggrin.gif

Let me rephrase, can you, under this windows version, run dos games? So you can use it as some kind of loader.

Sorry if I caused confusion.

You should be able to, but without virtual 8086 mode (386 protected mode emulation) you won't have much conventional memory left and won't be able to multitask very well. For multitasking of DOS apps (or even loading a dos game and keeping a walkthrough up in notepad) on dsx86 you will have to wait for DesqView to be supported as DesqView can run apps/games completely out of EMS. In fact, once DesqView is supported it would be best to configre dsx86 to emulate 128K of conventional memory and 2MB of EMS instead of 640K conventional and 1.5MB EMS.

Walthor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Got it to work on my r4 with woord r4 1.06
only the screen resolution doesn't fit properly lolz
but nice find
biggrin.gif

bringing back the nostalgic feeling lolz

me7i the amazin

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.morganbellas12.weebly.com
XP
Country
is there any way to which someone could just upload all the files i need to get this to work pre sorted out with instructions to where i should put it on my r4 for me to download, because i dont understand any thing that has been said

ill rephrase that could someone please prebuild/pack this and upload it somewhere for me to download with the dsx86 and all the r4 firmware so i know where it all goes, and preferably with brief instructions of how to get the windows to work

ThatDudeWithTheFood

TRIANGLEZ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
me7i the amazin said:
is there any way to which someone could just upload all the files i need to get this to work pre sorted out with instructions to where i should put it on my r4 for me to download, because i dont understand any thing that has been said
Then this obviously isnt for you and thats like saying to post windows 7 on a forum where we clearly dont support piracy.

fearofshorts

Trophies
XP
Country
I personally don't see this as too difficult... but maybe someone should make a batch-file auto-builder for others. All it would need to do is move all of the given files into the correct directory and patch a file. Maybe a simple GUI...

Actually, I may just have a go at this myself. It'll be good practice for me.
No promises though!

Am I allowed to include DSX86 in it, or does that need to be downloaded separately?

fearofshorts

Trophies
XP
Country
Abandonware is not actually legal in most countries. It's just a term invented for the gap between freeware and commercial software- and it's not actually a legally-recognized area at that.

It may be ok morally (IMO), but it's not ok legally.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: horny jail is full la