ROM Hack What does the AP actually do in Pokemon HG/SS

azure0wind

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
no idea
frown.gif

well i think its activated when we collecting badges, also if you're wandering around it will trigger AP (random?).
unsure.gif

steirina

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The AP in Pokemon HG/SS mainly consisted of the screen blacking out once a number of events occurred. The number of these events decreased the more badges you had, and by the third badge, the game was nigh unplayable. Events are when doors are opened, conversations with trainers et cetera.

Patchouli

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I figured this was beat to death by now, but like the guy above said, it triggered after a certain amount of events from the start of the game, and after you got Badge 3 it would kick into overdrive and not let you go 3 events without crashing. Events could be anything from opening doors to encountering, speaking, switching areas, opening menus, saving.. It could be avoided by beating Whitney, getting badge 3, then using a cheat or pokesav to turn of Badge 3. Since you dont need it for any kind of HM you can continue until the Elite 4 without it.

giratina16

Born This Way
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I think it was different on varied cards. I think it was some R4's that froze after 3 steps. AK2i froze after 15 minutes of game play. Then when a decent patch was made it was once every 40 minutes. Now it doesn't obviously.

Poryhack

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The replies to this thread are the biggest pile of fail ever. OP asks for a technical explanation of what's happening after it gets triggered and gets a bunch of steaming BS about what triggers it...

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Poryhack said:
The replies to this thread are the biggest pile of fail ever. OP asks for a technical explanation of what's happening after it gets triggered and gets a bunch of steaming BS about what triggers it...

Thank you Poryhack. Perhaps you can explain since you are practically remaking the games
rolleyes.gif

And no, I'm not being sarcastic. Thanks for your hard work on Pokemon hacking!

Patchouli

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Poryhack said:

I'm pretty sure you're assuming too much of humanity. He wants to know what it does, and where it triggers. It crashes the game. It happens on not-cyclo/edge/acekard flashcarts. It kicks in hardcore after you obtain badge 3. Get a good flash cart and it won't.

If you want to offer a more technical explaination Poryhack then maybe you should, instead of contributing to the "Streaming bullshit" as you called it.

Poryhack

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't explain any better than saying it crashes, which is pretty obvious (hence my earlier comment directed to everyone else).

Fishaman, thanks but there's people doing a hell of a lot more than me. Alpha is the big one recently. I'm just the peanut gallery most of the time.

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
I know what triggers it, I just want to know what it triggers to make it crash, does it force a memory leak, corrupt the save file, or inject a massive amount of action replay codes? What made it crash?

Inunah

The Female Mistaken for a Male.
Banned
Trophies
Website
inuscreepystuff.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
What?

I had YSMenu and got HG the day it was dumped to the ROM distributing site I use, which was before any patches for it came out, but even then I never did go and patch it. I would play HG for about an hour or so at a time, and the game rarely ever froze. In fact, when other people were complaining about their games freezing/black screening after 15 events, I never got any event-related freezes. Just the odd freeze now and then like what happened on any game on my R4.

Due to this, I still wonder why people say it had AP that froze/black screened the game up.

Poryhack

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Inunah said:
Due to this, I still wonder why people say it had AP that froze/black screened the game up.
Because for most cards/firmware it did. If it didn't happen to you consider yourself fortunate. Also, I had an M3 Simply (very early R4 clone, although it was still on par quality-wise) for a long while and never experienced these "odd freezes" you speak of.

spark1223

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only thing I've heard is: "AP uses lower memory addresses", which apparently crashes the DS while using flash carts.

Is it because the patches are stored in the lower memory addresses? Or do they mean the lower memory addresses of the cartridge? This is just not specific enough for me to fully understand...

I come from a background of assembly programming - things need to be more specific then this for me to understand fully.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
spark1223 said:
The only thing I've heard is: "AP uses lower memory addresses", which apparently crashes the DS while using flash carts.

Is it because the patches are stored in the lower memory addresses? Or do they mean the lower memory addresses of the cartridge? This is just not specific enough for me to fully understand...

I come from a background of assembly programming - things need to be more specific then this for me to understand fully.
You're a little confused on the subject...
I don't know how accurate this information is, but from what I'm to understand, and I could very easily be wrong, Flashcarts don't return the proper information when access is made to the lower parts of memory, so Nintendo has been using that as a way to check for carts. Some carts (CycloDS I believe) can run in a mode which redirects the access to the memory which will bypass that type of check.

Also, I believe the 'memory addresses' they're talking about is/is on the cart itself.

vegemikee

Trophies
XP
Country
strange. ive never had any lockups etc on my edge 1.10. been playing the entire game smoothly. the only issue is that when i launch cheats, itll whitescreen on me

Normmatt

Former AKAIO Programmer
Trophies
Website
normmatt.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
Any cart reads below 8000h on real carts is redirected to 8000h + (adr & 1ffh) but on flashcarts its not redirected at all and thus returns the wrong data.

Inunah

The Female Mistaken for a Male.
Banned
Trophies
Website
inuscreepystuff.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Poryhack said:
Inunah said:
Because for most cards/firmware it did. If it didn't happen to you consider yourself fortunate. Also, I had an M3 Simply (very early R4 clone, although it was still on par quality-wise) for a long while and never experienced these "odd freezes" you speak of.
Oh, the odd freezes usually only happened on games with AP, and it didn't matter whether or not it was triggered.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: The candy man can