Hacking Ok.. what's the trick for the 1.4u workaround?

WWWJD

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm an Acekard virgin, so go easy on me please. Purchased an Acekard 2i from dsc********t.com and it arrived yesterday. Like a good Nintendo user, I've been regularly updating the DSi. Up until last week, I had no idea the Acekard even existed. The current DSi firmware version is 1.4u. So yea... no go. I've downloaded and extracted the latest Acekard 2i firmware (ak2_421_20091217_release), and also downloaded the fix found elsewhere in this forum (ak2ifw_update_14_DSi.nds). Here's what I've got on the root directory:

mah1g4.jpg

When I inserted the Acekard 2i in the DS Lite to perform the prescribed FW update with the above files on the Micro SD root, it gives me a file missing message. So my attempt at fixing has failed. Do I have too much in my root directory to properly apply the update? Should I try running the update in the DS Lite, with nothing but the ak2ifw_update_14_DSi.nds file in the root?

Is doing this on a mac jacking this up with some hidden file left over on the SD Card? I haven't tried loading the files onto the SD card from a Windows machine yet.
wtf.gif
Help. This is my daughter's DSi, and she doesn't live with me full time. I dropped her off a bit ago and won't see her again until Tuesday. So, my ability for trial and error is nill. I'd like to have a definitive fix in the pipeline the next time I see her so we can start cooking with this thing!

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
you can update the acekard if your already on 1.4 unless you have a ds lite to update with.

by theway i recemend AKAIO over the real aceakrd firmware

WWWJD

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok.. elaborate. How do I do the update with a 1.4u DSi? Or with a DS Lite? My first attempt has failed and I'm seeking instruction if such a thing exists.

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
on your dsi you cant sinces its 1.4

on the ds lite get the dsl ite update flie in the same place you got the first file. and justl load it

WWWJD

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Right.. that's the theory. But when I select the Acekard on the DS lite menu, I get the "missing system files" (or something like that) in blue font on black background.

Dark^'^Knigh

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
OP states he didn't format the msd before placing the firmware on it = big no no.

Format the msd and that place whatever AK2 firmware takes your fancy - official AK v4.21, or the often preferred AKAIO 1.5.1. Put the DSi fix file onto the root of the msd, put flashcart into a DSL and run it. After about 30secs the process completes, remove from the DSL and place it into your DSi. Note: It makes no difference what amount of media is sitting on your msd, as long as it boots up properly.

WWWJD

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dark^'^Knight said:
OP states he didn't format the msd before placing the firmware on it = big no no.

What if I did format it? I guess I should have mentioned that I did; but I did on a Mac. Formatted FAT16. The only thing that may be there are some hidden files. .Trashes, .Spotlight, etc. I would assume that the same thing happens in Windows too though.. a couple of stray hidden files.

Deleted member 114266

Trophies
XP
WWWJD said:
I'm an Acekard virgin, so go easy on me please. Purchased an Acekard 2i from dsc********t.com and it arrived yesterday. Like a good Nintendo user, I've been regularly updating the DSi. Up until last week, I had no idea the Acekard even existed. The current DSi firmware version is 1.4u. So yea... no go. I've downloaded and extracted the latest Acekard 2i firmware (ak2_421_20091217_release), and also downloaded the fix found elsewhere in this forum (ak2ifw_update_14_DSi.nds). Here's what I've got on the root directory:

You are running the wrong update program. The 14_DSi file is to run on a 1.3 firmware DSi to perform the update. You will need to find ak2ifw_update_14_DSL.nds which will run on a DS Lite and allow you to do the update. Both the DSi and DSL update files are available in the firmware upgrade archive that is in the Setting up your AK2 sticky at the top of the forum.

WWWJD

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SScorpio said:
You are running the wrong update program. The 14_DSi file is to run on a 1.3 firmware DSi to perform the update. You will need to find ak2ifw_update_14_DSL.nds which will run on a DS Lite and allow you to do the update. Both the DSi and DSL update files are available in the firmware upgrade archive that is in the Setting up your AK2 sticky at the top of the forum.

Thanks; I just read that sticky. Hoping to try this again at lunch with fresh downloads and a freshly FAT32 formatted SD card.. .on a Lite. Was that a run on sentence?
smile.gif

WWWJD

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, the FAT32 format worked. I enabled "view hidden folders" in Windows Explorer to make sure I didn't have any hidden junk on the SD card. Went to the local game store and "lightly borrowed" a DS Lite at lunch to run the update. Kid behind the counter gave me the deer in the headlights look when I explained what I was doing. I put both the ak2ifw_update_14_DSL.nds and ak2ifw_update_14_DSi.nds on the card.

When I tried to run the DSL.nds file, it asked me to remove, reinsert the card before pressing B to begin. Well... that just created an endless loop of removing and inserting cards. Tried various combinations of button presses and power downs / ups. Gave up and tried to run the DSi.nds file. It took off and did it's thing, making it to 100% progress in about 30 seconds. Finished and asked for a power down / reboot.

I'm hoping this one took. I'll be trying it tonight on the DSi to see what happens.

Lee79

Hyper...Active...Team Fortress 2 Addict
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
so if you use your AK2i on a DSL only do you only need to run "ak2ifw_update_14_DSL.nds" file to update or do you still have to run "ak2ifw_update_14_DSi.nds" ?

JustChillin1414

<3 Tiny Tina
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
OK, this is the problem with formatting a micro sd on a mac. By default when you format a drive on a mac it formats the card using the GUID partition table. To get your micro sd working do this:
1. open disk utility
2. Click on your micro sd.
3. Go into partition, under Volume Scheme: click 1 partition.
4. Click options at the bottom and make sure Master Boot Record is highlited!!
5. Click apply and put all your stuff back on it.
6. DONE
This is the third time I've posted this. GBAtemp should really sticky this!!!

WWWJD

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got it working guys; thanks for the help. My daughter saw all the games on her DSi and I think she peed herself a little bit.
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ptLqnNMcQk