Hacking Has anyone gotten SSBB to work with NeoGamma?

1337Rooster

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't seem to figure out how to get brawl to work with NeoGamma R7. I have been doing some reading and I believe that CIOS38 rev14 is to blame.

Brawl will freeze and give me the error at certain points (beat kirby in SSE, beat classic mode, etc.):
An error has occured. Press the Eject BUtton, remove the Game Disc, and turn the power off. Please read the Wii Operations Manual for more information.

My legit copy works 100%. I also see this issue on the DVD5 version of brawl

I looked around and I believe the solution to this is to load brawl through a USB loader and have that use Hermes 222, but Hermes 222 only works for USB launchers and doesn't have disc support. Unfortunately for me a USB loader is not an option.

Here is how I modded my wii:
http://yafaze.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=145
http://my.afterdawn.com/larrylje_redwings/..._entry.cfm/3810

I used the DVD backup app (that streams it to your pc) to make the backup, following this guide to burn:
http://www.gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=91738

So my question is: Has anyone got brawl to work with NeoGamma, which CIOS do I need to use? Can I install it as a separate IOS, or will I need to downgrade my existing CIOS38 rev14 (and just upgrade it whenever I feel like playing a newer game which requires it?).

Further, I should add that I've installed CIOS38 rev13 and I still get the same issue, except instead of the green screen with the error message I mentiond above, I just get a black screen. Which version of CIOS is best to install (I hear a lot of complaints about certain versions)?

I noticed the compatibility sticky says to use cIOS rev8 or higher. Are they refering to CIOS38?

Thanks.

claud10

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sorry if I m not too helpful with my comment but I also can t get it to work on neogamma r7 and cios r14. Seems like cios r14 has no support for DL disks, so our only hope is to wait for a new version.

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1337Rooster said:
I looked around and I believe the solution to this is to load brawl through a USB loader and have that use Hermes 222, but Hermes 222 only works for USB launchers and doesn't have disc support. Unfortunately for me a USB loader is not an option.

I am not so sure about this. I wonder if a disc based loader incorporated Hermes IOS support, if the game would load?

Anyway, yeah, you'll have to downgrade your cIOS to rev13 (or lower) and downgrade your Neogamma to R6. The game should work for you after that.

1337Rooster

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,

So I've tried various things.

NeoGamma R7 + CIOS Rev14 : DVD9 Backup Fail, DVD5 Backup Fail, Retail copy works
NeoGamma R7 + CIOS Rev13 : DVD9 Backup Fail, DVD5 Backup Fail, Retail copy works
NeoGamma R7 + CIOS Rev10 : DVD9 Backup Fail, DVD5 Backup Fail, Retail copy works
NeoGamma R6 + CIOS Rev13 : DVD9 Backup Fail, DVD5 Backup untested, Retail copy works

Like from what I understand the CIOS provides access to drivers and things the game is using. The same game backup or retail should fail if it cannot access the hardware it needs, correct?

Perhaps my backup is not the best backup. The method I used to burn the game is seen here:
and I used the DVD Dump app to stream the image to my pc. If that burn method looks okay then perhaps I had a bad dump? Could someone give me the md5sum on a known to be working copy of the DVD9 dump, NTSC (maybe this is a bad idea, not sure if the game has multiple versions, and the md5sum would take a while to compute).

I just find it strange that the DVD5 version I found online and the DVD9 I made by following the "Ultimate" guide both have this issue.

I just don't seem to think that changing CIOS or the NeoGamma version is the issue here.

1337Rooster

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The IOS provides the necessary driver support and such that the game requires to run, correct? If there was a problem with the IOS then neither the retail nor the DVD9 copy should work (say if the issue had something to do with reading dual layers). The fact that the retail copy works and the DVD9 backup does not confuses me. Should I conclude I have a bad burn/dump?

Is there a way to verify the quality of my dump (md5sum?) and the quality of the burn, settings, etc? Using DVD+R DL Verbatim and the settings defined in the ultimate brawl backup guide.

1337Rooster

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so I found the md5sum of my image:
3d6ce7bc70a01c1c4562fb23bae025d7

Can someone check to see if their md5sum matches. So that I can see whether or not this was a good dump? I have the NTSC version and the disc says Model No. RVL-006(USA)

dver

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
1337Rooster said:
I can't seem to figure out how to get brawl to work with NeoGamma R7. I have been doing some reading and I believe that CIOS38 rev14 is to blame.

Brawl will freeze and give me the error at certain points (beat kirby in SSE, beat classic mode, etc.):
An error has occured. Press the Eject BUtton, remove the Game Disc, and turn the power off. Please read the Wii Operations Manual for more information.

My legit copy works 100%. I also see this issue on the DVD5 version of brawl

Here is how I modded my wii:
http://yafaze.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=145
http://my.afterdawn.com/larrylje_redwings/..._entry.cfm/3810

I used the DVD backup app (that streams it to your pc) to make the backup, following this guide to burn:

So my question is: Has anyone got brawl to work with NeoGamma, which CIOS do I need to use? Can I install it as a separate IOS, or will I need to downgrade my existing CIOS38 rev14 (and just upgrade it whenever I feel like playing a newer game which requires it?).

Further, I should add that I've installed CIOS38 rev13 and I still get the same issue, except instead of the green screen with the error message I mentiond above, I just get a black screen. Which version of CIOS is best to install (I hear a lot of complaints about certain versions)?

I noticed the compatibility sticky says to use cIOS rev8 or higher. Are they refering to CIOS38?

Thanks.

You might have a bad dump of brawl,
my LEGIT brawl dvd, which is unscratched has the exact same problems,
it was a common problem with the dual layer of the first batch of brawls.
Your best bet is too rdownload

claud10

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
1337Rooster said:
Okay, so I found the md5sum of my image:
3d6ce7bc70a01c1c4562fb23bae025d7

Can someone check to see if their md5sum matches. So that I can see whether or not this was a good dump? I have the NTSC version and the disc says Model No. RVL-006(USA)

Mine is also a dump made with DVD Dumper from the wii through the wifi to my computer. This is the md5sum I get by doing md5sum -b RSBE.iso

c1165254ec10692f946134166a900fde

Seems like we do not have the same iso. Is yours a PAL or NTSC dump? Mine comes from a legit NTSC-U version. Hope it helps

EDIT: Mine does not work either. It runs the intro video without any flaws and after beating kirby in the story (not the classi, the other one) it crashes asking for the insertion of the disk.

claud10

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, I ve been reading and seems like the problem is the cIOS rev14 that has no dual layer support, neither for reading nor ripping the games, as when you use DVD Dumper. You can in fact rip a DL game (like SSBB) using DVD Dumper + cIOS rev14 but the last sectors of the 1st layer will be broken, resulting in a bad dump. Seems like we have to wait for rev15 in order to get the DL support again (and rip SSBB again too). Hope it helps

1337Rooster

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Perhaps I had a bad dump or a bad burn. In any case, I ended up obtaining the Wiizard DVD9 dump of the ISO online. I burnt that to a DVD9 in IMGburn using the same settings in the Ultimate Guide and it seems to work now.

I am using Neo Gamma R6 and CIOS rev 13. I figure I can just install rev 14 whenever I want to play one of the never games and revert back to rev 13 when I want to play brawl (only takes a few seconds)
It does not work with the disc channel (which I believe uses CIOS corp to load the backups, not sure how it works, but one of the guide I listed above set me up for that).

If you come accross this issue I would say try CIOS rev 13 and NeoGamma R6, if that fails you most likely have a bad burn or dump.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Other games I can have turned up to like 2X and all kinds of enhancements, Motorstorm hmmm nope...