Hacking Pikmin 2 asks for system update

Phazon13

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yesterday I succeeded in installing the hbc with bannerbomb on my 4.0E. But when I want to play pikmin 2 (it's a real disc) it asks for a system update. Is there any way to prevent that or is it safe to update it?

(In a guide I was unable to do the last 2 extra steps, when installing CiosV10 i get an error = -1)
Or are there any special IOS needed for pikmin to work?

Tyvm in advance

Shinigami Kiba

Trophies
XP
Country
Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of
First off, NEVER update from a disc, anything an update can install you can install yourself manually.
Second, try installing cIOS36 rev10 again, sometimes these things can glitch up and report errors but eventually they work, happened to me when upgrading from 3.2 to 4.0

What you want is to install preloader 0.29, then use an SD card(doesnt seem to detect SDHC cards once installed) to apply a bunch of hacks to your system menu a few of which block updates and make WiiWare games region free.

However, before you do all that, if your Wii can install bootmii to boot2 do that, first install bootmii as boot2, backup your NAND and THEN try installing preloader and all that stuff.
Keep in mind, if bootmii isn't isntalled as boot2 since it can't be on some systems you're not safe from bricks.

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're already of 4.0 then the update is probably to install some other IOS. If you want to be safe you can launch it through GeckoOS, which will pull the IOS from the update partition and install it for you.

Phazon13

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've tried to install ciosv10 but i always get an error, when installing preloader it freezes at the startscreen (with warnings). I'll try to install bootmii. Is it that thing that comes with bannerbomb? I installed bootmii and it made a little file(aroun 270kb) on my sd card. Is that how bootmii works (I now have school so i'll see this evening)

Will try both advises,
Many thanks for your help
smile.gif

EDIT: Already tried gecko but it didn't work. I succeeded in installing cios v10 and I'll try preloader soon. Still...it's asking for system update.

marc_max

Trophies
Website
www.marcrobledo.com
XP
Country
I had the same problem.
Of course you can boot it with Gecko OS or USB Loader. But you want to load it by disc channel, don't you?
wink.gif

I compiled a special version of Patchmii that updates (and trucha-patches) IOS21 and IOS36 to their newer versions. It worked for me, now I can play Pikmin 2 through disc channel without any patches and load my modified Smash Bros and No More Heroes too!

marc_max

Trophies
Website
www.marcrobledo.com
XP
Country
Download - Deleted, read this topic instead

NOTE: THIS SOFTWARE CAN DAMAGE YOUR WII CONSOLE. USE IT AT YOUR OWN RISK.

This software will be useful for those with modchip who want 4.0 features and still want trucha games.
Pikmin 2 (and other newer games) have 3.4 update. If you update with the disc or by internet, it updates IOS to their newest versions (trucha fixed).

Usage:
*Update to 4.0 (using any legal method)
*Patch IOS60 with tona's utility
*Run this software
**If you only want to run Smash Bros. Brawl modifications, install and patch IOS36.
**If you also want to run third-party game modifications, install and patch IOS21 too.

IOS21 is used by most of third-party titles like No More Heroes or Dragon Ball Z Tenkaichi 3. If you need to patch any other IOS, feel free to modify installer.c.
Now Pikmin 2 will not ask for update and you will be able to play trucha games on your 4.0!
And also you get the SD/DVD reading speed-ups added in 3.4 in these IOS! (You will only notice them if you had older versions.)

NOTE: You need a cIOS (249).

---

This is only a very quick modification of tona shop installer.

by Marc

Phazon13

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you all for your responses. I've succeeded in installing preloader and now have the hack enabled and now I can start pikmin without the update check.

Again I would like to thank all peoble for helping me:)

misteromar

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have the same thing, Pikmin 2 comes up with a update in the disc channel.

I have soft modded my wii 4.0 using this guide, + the further steps. http://yafaze.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=113

I tried the app in this thread for in stalling ios 21 + 36, but it still ask for the update through the disc channel.

I ran ios dongrader v1 again after installing ios 21 + 36.

Any tips?

marc_max

Trophies
Website
www.marcrobledo.com
XP
Country
You must have a cIOS before doing anything.
Update through the disc and then run my app (if you don't have cIOS it won't work and you won't be able to install it neither, so be careful).
If you run IOS Downgrader it will always ask you to update, because Pikmin 2 has newer versions (trucha fixed) of old IOS.

misteromar

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have CIOSv10 installed.

So you are saying that you have choice of updating and having IOS truncha fixed, then being able to load through the disc channel OR not updating and not having the disc channel but having the truncha IOS working.

Will usb loader and gecko os work if you update these ios from the disc? I just use these to play my original games from a HD because of shitty dvd drive and to play imports which is must living in a PAL region.

marc_max

Trophies
Website
www.marcrobledo.com
XP
Country
misteromar said:
I have CIOSv10 installed.

So you are saying that you have choice of updating and having IOS truncha fixed, then being able to load through the disc channel OR not updating and not having the disc channel but having the truncha IOS working.

Will usb loader and gecko os work if you update these ios from the disc? I just use these to play my original games from a HD because of shitty dvd drive and to play imports which is must living in a PAL region.
No. Pikmin 2 asks you for an update because it has 3.4 update. Main problem is that this update included fixed versions for all old IOSes. So if you update through this disc (or internet) you will lose the ability to load trucha games from disc channel. But if you run my app AFTER updating you will gain trucha bug again in IOS21 and IOS36, but they will be the latest versions so Pikmin 2 won't ask you for an update and you will have trucha bug in these IOS.

Yes. USB will work as long as you have cIOS installed. Latest Gecko versions don't use cIOS, it works with the game used IOS so it will work too because you have these IOS (with the newer IOS versions, of course).

But if you mainly play original games from HD you don't really need these patches.

misteromar

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
OK, I got you , update from disc, run your app, all games with 3.4 update wont ask for system updates any more.

Many thanks for the explanation I appreciate you taking the time, your a champ.

wiiluver135

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
marc_max said:
Download

NOTE: THIS SOFTWARE CAN DAMAGE YOUR WII CONSOLE. USE IT AT YOUR OWN RISK.

This software will be useful for those with modchip who want 4.0 features and still want trucha games.
Pikmin 2 (and other newer games) have 3.4 update. If you update with the disc or by internet, it updates IOS to their newest versions (trucha fixed).

Usage:
*Update to 4.0 (using any legal method)
*Patch IOS60 with tona's utility
*Run this software
**If you only want to run Smash Bros. Brawl modifications, install and patch IOS36.
**If you also want to run third-party game modifications, install and patch IOS21 too.

IOS21 is used by most of third-party titles like No More Heroes or Dragon Ball Z Tenkaichi 3. If you need to patch any other IOS, feel free to modify installer.c.
Now Pikmin 2 will not ask for update and you will be able to play trucha games on your 4.0!
And also you get the SD/DVD reading speed-ups added in 3.4 in these IOS! (You will only notice them if you had older versions.)

NOTE: You need a cIOS (249).

---

This is only a very quick modification of tona shop installer.

by Marc
so wait a second...if I use this app, I can use the Rebooter in GeckoOS again and load backups from my Disc Channel again?
Also will this fix the problem that happens when using the Rebooter in Gamma Backup Launcher?
The problem: When I activate Rebooter in gamma, it loads normally but the hacks don't work, namly the No Copy Flag hack & when trying to load a game in the Disc Channel, it gives me the message: An Error has occurred, please eject your disc and blah, blah, blah you know the rest. Please confirm this, I really need to be able to copy my saves again.

marc_max

Trophies
Website
www.marcrobledo.com
XP
Country
misteromar said:
OK, I got you , update from disc, run your app, all games with 3.4 update wont ask for system updates any more.
Exactly.
But this is only useful if you want to play old trucha games in your 3.4/4.0. If you are not going to do that, you don't have to use my app.
And if you are going to do that, then you also need IOS50 (for 3.4) or IOS60 (for 4.0) patched.

QUOTE(wiiluver135 @ May 20 2009, 02:18 PM) so wait a second...if I use this app, I can use the Rebooter in GeckoOS again and load backups from my Disc Channel again?
Also will this fix the problem that happens when using the Rebooter in Gamma Backup Launcher?
The problem: When I activate Rebooter in gamma, it loads normally but the hacks don't work, namly the No Copy Flag hack & when trying to load a game in the Disc Channel, it gives me the message: An Error has occurred, please eject your disc and blah, blah, blah you know the rest. Please confirm this, I really need to be able to copy my saves again.
I don't know anything about GeckoOS nor Gamma Backup Launcher. But I think some of its hacks don't work on 4.0, specially the no copy flag (I think you can solve it with Preloader). GeckoOS even don't reboots for me (maybe it's because I have BootMii).
My app is for modchip users.

DrFiishy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
like blade already said use brickblocker...it worked for me...you dont rlly need to do al that giberish to run that game

marc_max

Trophies
Website
www.marcrobledo.com
XP
Country
darkbillie said:
like blade already said use brickblocker...it worked for me...you dont rlly need to do al that giberish to run that game
What if you want to play with your original? I mean, maybe he don't want to install Preloader, so this is the only way for now if you want to play it from disc channel and retain trucha bug.

TroyTheZombie

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Phazon13 said:
Yesterday I succeeded in installing the hbc with bannerbomb on my 4.0E. But when I want to play pikmin 2 (it's a real disc) it asks for a system update. Is there any way to prevent that or is it safe to update it?

(In a guide I was unable to do the last 2 extra steps, when installing CiosV10 i get an error = -1)
Or are there any special IOS needed for pikmin to work?

Tyvm in advance

For Ciosrev10, are you doing a wad install, or a network install?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: btw i feel this a good time to remind you guys that sea of thieves was made by rare, who also...