Hacking Would it be possible to use an iPod for USBLoader?

Kekkon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an old 4gb 2nd gen Nano that won't hold a charge, it's basically useless and I've just been using it as a storage device.
I'd love to be able to use it for USB loader but it gives me the initialization error, would I have to format it before hand for it to load it or will I just have to find a different storage device?

--JoCa--

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Nope. I tried it with my 80Gb Classic iPod and it gives me the -1 error. I tried it in FAT, FAT32 and NTSC, but none works...

All I did was to erase everything I had on it... (All my musics and videos...
cry.gif
)

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
this one:

QUOTE said:
Q: When I boot USB Loader, I get: Could not initialize USB subsystem! (ret = -1) ?
QUOTE said:
This means either your USB drive is corrupted or it is not supported. Please use another drive or doublecheck connections. Also, if you have something plugged in the other USB port, be sure to remove it. If all that doesn't work, try switching your USB port. Some people reported this working via hotswapping, but I do not support this method. Other people are reporting that plugging two errored USB's in at once makes one work.

?

Kenjii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have an 80gb iPod classic.

Would rather format it, and use that, then buy a new iPod than buy a hard drive.

Kekkon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I formatted it and it didn't work, yet another device that doesn't work:
USB harddrive enclosure - nope
PSP with large memstick - nope
random thumbdrive - nope
iPod nano - nope

I'm beginning to think I'll never get it to run.

Tgrokz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hopefully my 1.8" enclosure will come today and i can see if an old 5G 30gig ipod HDD works with that.

--JoCa--

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The enclosures NEVER works, or the one you tried didn't? I need info on that... I'm planning on buying the enclosure and using an old HDD...

--JoCa--

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Nice. Just a quick question: You used the iPod or you removed the HDD and put it in an enclosure? Can you restore your iPod later or it just won't ba an iPod anymore?

icebrg5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
--JoCa-- said:
Nice. Just a quick question: You used the iPod or you removed the HDD and put it in an enclosure? Can you restore your iPod later or it just won't ba an iPod anymore?

I used the ipod itself.I have another ipod i was wanting to test with this but when i plugged it into the computer it just locked completly up for some reason.So once its battery dies i will try that one on the wii without formatting it through this tool first and see what results i get.I did plug it into the wii and it gave the error -1 but it could have done that because it was locked up im not sure but i will give it a go later and post results when i do.

Im pretty sure you can reformat your ipod the normal format later through Itunes if needed.

Tgrokz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks to the great USPS, i will have to wait until next week to get the enclosure...which should have been here yesterday. this shit better work when it gets here haha

--JoCa--

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
icpmattj said:
--JoCa-- said:

I used the ipod itself.I have another ipod i was wanting to test with this but when i plugged it into the computer it just locked completly up for some reason.So once its battery dies i will try that one on the wii without formatting it through this tool first and see what results i get.I did plug it into the wii and it gave the error -1 but it could have done that because it was locked up im not sure but i will give it a go later and post results when i do.

Im pretty sure you can reformat your ipod the normal format later through Itunes if needed.

It's just that I don't have a spare iPod, and it's HDD can't handle partitions, so I don't wanna make it useless forever... Please, help me... ^^

BTW, have you tried using the hard reset? (hold MENU and the center button for 5 seconds)
You can also boot it in Disc Mode (hold MENU and CENTER. just when it reboots, hold PLAY and CENTER. It'll display in B&W, that's the disc mode)

strell

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a 30GB ipod video running just fine. i did have to format it using loader v1 as 1.1 did not work.

dottor_male

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Have you tried doing the initialization from windows (if you use windows) using WBFS tools?
Simply format it in whatever FS you want (I've done it with both fat32 and NTFS), then use the command line command "wbfs.exe X init" (where X is the letter of your drive). Windows should then see the drive, but should not be able to access it. You can use one of the many GUI that floats here on the forum!
It seems to work better than doing it from the wii.

--JoCa--

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm trying to see if the Wii recognizes it before... I don't wanna have a ruined iPod that doesn't work w/ the Wii nor is able to play music.

I could try it if anyone confirms me that it can be restored to Factory Settings again...

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
really..?? that sucks, well I kind of remember partitions on the iPod becasue of the iPodLinux thing, that's why I propoused the partitions, I deleted all the linux stuff off of my iPod ages ago, so can't really remember how this can be done, but you could enter into the disk mode and try that, it will only use your free space to function, and it wont touch your iTunes files (I guess)...!!
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ