Hacking Would it be possible to use an iPod for USBLoader?

--JoCa--

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Actually, iPod Touch and iPhone do have partitions, but my iPod is the Classic Video one, 80Gigs. I've tried to partition it with Gparted Live, but no luck. Then, after Google, I found that it can't really handle them... Also, I found out that iTunes can't restore the iPod if it's formatted NTFS, just FAT, wich is just wierd... Anyways...
wink.gif

Can anyone help me? An iPod price in Brazil is over 1,000.00 USD... I don't wanna ruin my little one...

icebrg5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
--JoCa-- said:
icpmattj said:
--JoCa-- said:
Nice. Just a quick question: You used the iPod or you removed the HDD and put it in an enclosure? Can you restore your iPod later or it just won't ba an iPod anymore?

I used the ipod itself.I have another ipod i was wanting to test with this but when i plugged it into the computer it just locked completly up for some reason.So once its battery dies i will try that one on the wii without formatting it through this tool first and see what results i get.I did plug it into the wii and it gave the error -1 but it could have done that because it was locked up im not sure but i will give it a go later and post results when i do.

Im pretty sure you can reformat your ipod the normal format later through Itunes if needed.

It's just that I don't have a spare iPod, and it's HDD can't handle partitions, so I don't wanna make it useless forever... Please, help me... ^^

BTW, have you tried using the hard reset? (hold MENU and the center button for 5 seconds)
You can also boot it in Disc Mode (hold MENU and CENTER. just when it reboots, hold PLAY and CENTER. It'll display in B&W, that's the disc mode)

Well heres some info for you.

I took my ipod.Formatted it through windows to fat32 i believe.Plugged it into the Wii ran the usb loader and formatted it and ripped a few games.
Stuck it back in my computer and windows sees the drive and says it needs formatting because it doesnt know what the wbfs format is.So i open Itunes and Itunes wouldnt not detect the drive.After a few attempts of shutting Itunes down and restarting it Itunes finally saw the Ipod again and told me it needed to be restored.So i restored it and now its has the factory settings on it just like when i took it out of the box.All music is gone that i had before formatting of course but i know that was gonna happen and dont really care seeing i got 6 ipods now lol

Kenjii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
icpmattj said:
--JoCa-- said:
icpmattj said:
--JoCa-- said:
Nice. Just a quick question: You used the iPod or you removed the HDD and put it in an enclosure? Can you restore your iPod later or it just won't ba an iPod anymore?

I used the ipod itself.I have another ipod i was wanting to test with this but when i plugged it into the computer it just locked completly up for some reason.So once its battery dies i will try that one on the wii without formatting it through this tool first and see what results i get.I did plug it into the wii and it gave the error -1 but it could have done that because it was locked up im not sure but i will give it a go later and post results when i do.

Im pretty sure you can reformat your ipod the normal format later through Itunes if needed.

It's just that I don't have a spare iPod, and it's HDD can't handle partitions, so I don't wanna make it useless forever... Please, help me... ^^

BTW, have you tried using the hard reset? (hold MENU and the center button for 5 seconds)
You can also boot it in Disc Mode (hold MENU and CENTER. just when it reboots, hold PLAY and CENTER. It'll display in B&W, that's the disc mode)

Well heres some info for you.

I took my ipod.Formatted it through windows to fat32 i believe.Plugged it into the Wii ran the usb loader and formatted it and ripped a few games.
Stuck it back in my computer and windows sees the drive and says it needs formatting because it doesnt know what the wbfs format is.So i open Itunes and Itunes wouldnt not detect the drive.After a few attempts of shutting Itunes down and restarting it Itunes finally saw the Ipod again and told me it needed to be restored.So i restored it and now its has the factory settings on it just like when i took it out of the box.All music is gone that i had before formatting of course but i know that was gonna happen and dont really care seeing i got 6 ipods now lol
So you're saying that it's possible to use an iPod?
What type/size is yours?
We're you able to put all the songs you had downloaded etc back on to your iPod once it was re formatted?

Cheers buddy.

datahoarder

Organized.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't see how it can't handle multiple partitions,
I remember a while back I had linux on mine, but it also ran the original OS.
Then again, I could be wrong, I'm debating using my 30GB 5.5G when I get my Wii.

truballr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is one thing I'm sure, I fucked up everything and was still able to restore it, on my Classic 80gb Ipod. When I plug it in and start USB Loader it just freezes nothing happens, when I try it on the computer to format it to wbfs, nothing happens.

icebrg5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
itunes restored my ipod to its original state.I never put any music back on it but im sure theres no problem doing so.

After my kids go to bed im gonna try just plugging the ipod into the wii and see what it does while its still has all the ipod stuff on it.Its probly just gonna give me an error -1

Im also going to format my ipod directly through windows and see if the wii sees it that way.If it doesnt then the only thing that will work is this program.

I cant get the site to load right now but just go to wiihacks.com forums and look in the homebrew forum.The info is there in.

xDlmaoxD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
icpmattj said:
My 30gb just worked.I formatted it though a different tool though

Guys try this to format and then see if the wii will read it.

http://www.docjelly.com/Blog/content/binary/SP27213.exe

I didnt figure this out someone over at wiihacks did so credit goes to
DarkSyd from there.

What format should i reformat the ipod video for it to work?
Or should I mean the Wii recognazing the ipod and then formating it for the USB loader.

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
So no one has even tryed the partition tool for the iPod 5.5..?? I don't have space for dumping my music to the PC, cause I remember once you partitioning you could just restore the first partition with iTunes and put back your music there, but I need to check the page again to see if this still can be done...!!
smile.gif

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Well you can partitioning the iPod, but you need to install some linux stuff like the boot loader in order to work like a multi-partition disk...!!!
smile.gif

icebrg5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
xDlmaoxD said:
icpmattj said:
My 30gb just worked.I formatted it though a different tool though

Guys try this to format and then see if the wii will read it.

http://www.docjelly.com/Blog/content/binary/SP27213.exe

I didnt figure this out someone over at wiihacks did so credit goes to
DarkSyd from there.

What format should i reformat the ipod video for it to work?
Or should I mean the Wii recognazing the ipod and then formating it for the USB loader.

I did fat32 and plugged it into the wii ran the loader and formatted it no problems.30GB ipod came out to like 27.78 or something close to that.
That was with using the program i talked about.Im going to use windows to format it later and see if windows formatting will make it work as well but earlier when i tried it told me it wasnt allowed but that was while the ipod was locked up so we shall see.

xDlmaoxD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I have a useless ipod now
smile.gif

Anyways I used the program it says the device is protected, etc
frown.gif

It finally works on the wii tho, but keeps telling me i have zero GB's i used a 30 GB vIDEO ipod.
What USB Loader are you using I tried 1.0 and 1.1 and nothing.
Any advice?

Valgreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
--JoCa-- said:
iPod's HDD can't handle 2 partitions... I've tried, no luck.

wrong, you can have multi partitions on your ipod. you just cant do it with standard methods. you must use ipod linux to create multi partitions, in order to have your main ipod partition still recognizable so that you can listen to all your pirated music ...

i

datahoarder

Organized.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this isn't working on my 5.5g ipod 30gig. formatted to fat32 via windows 7,
tried some gui tools and wbfs.exe G init, first gives run-time -5 error, second says no hd or something.

Valgreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
kornychaos said:
tried some gui tools and wbfs.exe G init, first gives run-time -5 error, second says no hd or something.

i would take a guess that the wbfs tool might not work under windows 7. just a thought...

icebrg5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I used the 1.1 loader and a 30gb ipod version 5.Formatted it using the tool i linked to and then plugged it into the wii and the wii formatted it to the wbfs format no problems.

Now i just tried it again.

Windows formats it just fine for fat32.Ran it through the GUI tool and it formats its just fine as well.Addings iso's to it now and will give it a go on the wii here in a bit after the wife gets off the tv.

icebrg5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
kornychaos said:

Try this

after formatting it to fat32 in windows 7 take it directly to the wii and see if the loader can format it to wbfs.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Ello