Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
ds.gif
DSi dated and priced for US!
Out April 5th 2009

Nintendo has today announced the official launch date and pricing of the new Nintendo DSi - the 3rd generation DS handheld. The DSi will be launching in black and blue, with the pearl white verison nowhere to be seen. Read more below.

QUOTE said:
The latest incarnation of the Nintendo DS, the Nintendo DSi, will be released in the U.S. on April 5 and priced at US$169.99. It is launching in black and new color blue.

The DSi, which has been on sale in Japan since November 2008, has only been available in black and white.

"Ever since the arrival of the first Game Boy, consumers worldwide have turned to Nintendo for their portable gaming," said Cammie Dunaway, Nintendo of America's executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. "Nintendo DSi builds on Nintendo's commitment to bringing fun and creative entertainment to everyone, and will allow consumers to personalize and share their very own experiences."

The Nintendo DSiWare application will able be available in the U.S. and offers software that can be downloaded using Nintendo DSi Points directly to the portable system much like the Nintendo Wii's WiiWare. DSiWare software starts at 200 points.

Along with the DSi, Nintendo is also releasing popular DS rhythm game Rhythm Heaven on April 5. The game has sold over 1.6 million copies since going on sale in Japan last July.
icon11.gif
Source

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yay Rhythm Heaven out April 5th!

Don't really care about the other thing, $169.99? Jesus that is too much just for a 5 year old handheld, a little extra ram, slightly bigger screen and a low quality camera and some DSiWare which you have to pay for anyway.

Now it'll be available widely perhaps the hackers can go about getting DSiWare to work on our flashcarts (I'm guessing if its possible we'll require some sort of CSM or loader) because that is the only feature I am remotely interested in.

Brian117

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WOOT.

Not to far off actually. Love how they added a color blue. Hope they release a Crimson.
smileipb2.png

I might wait a couple of months before buying to see what happens in the homebrew scene of this. Not many people are hacking it due to it being Japanese, and that they'll just be releasing a dead program for it because not that many people even have a DSi.

Thanks for posting this!

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I too agree the DSi is a shameless scam. DSiware looks like mostly puzzle games (which are decent, but a dime a dozen) and shovelware. The camera, well WHY would I want that in a gaming system? At least before, game cameras were separate accessories. In fact, I think there was one for GBA. If so, you can just hook it into your old DS' GBA slot I guess.

As for the extra specs, we'll see what comes of them.

And dammit, I forgot the MOST important negative- no GBA slot. WHAT WERE THEY THINKING???

Szyslak

Nudibranch Lover
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I was really going to get one of these until I found out that WPA encryption still isn't going to work for the wi-fi in DS games.

The only reason I'm still considering getting one at launch is because of the update-able firmware. It may turn out down the road that the launch firmware is hackable, but future firmwares aren't, etc, etc. Not really the type of thing we've had to deal with on the DS yet, but still a possibility.

Plus, I sorta want a black DS. I just don't want to pay $40 extra for it.

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
granville said:
The camera, well WHY would I want that in a gaming system?

I remember people saying the exact same thing about a touch screen and a microphone when the DS was announced
tongue.gif

QUOTE(granville @ Feb 18 2009, 11:04 AM) And dammit, I forgot the MOST important negative- no GBA slot. WHAT WERE THEY THINKING???

I'm yet to know someone that really uses his DS to play GBA games.. only problem I see here are the Guitar Hero games. Really, complaining about the GBA slot is just nitpicking.. if you want to play GBA games, stick to your current DS or GBA.. you don't have to throw it out just to get a DSi.

JDMEVOIXMR

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
^ IF I were Nintendo, I wouldn't care, it's money, baby. I think the DSi will utilize the camera in its games...hmmm.

tinymonkeyt

GBAtemp brat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wow they are really trying to make so much money off this
we pay more for the system, pay more for DSiware

BUT THE BLUE IS AWESOME
i might wait until prices drop a bit
and get the blue
*drools*