QUOTE said:
Nickname: sumiguchi / spriteattack
Project name: Video Games Hero
Division: NDS GAME
Original entry: YES
Support Motion: YES
In last NEO Compo this project have won in the top 10: NO
Description:
A music/rythm game with 65 Songs, 5 Game modes, Motion Card and Guitar Grip support.  More information at: www.videogameshero.com

It's too large to attached so Download Video Games Hero!

Installation:
Extract the archive so that the vgh folder is on the root of your flash cart.  Inside this folder you should have a gfx and a d folder each with many files.  Use the  vghero.nds for slot 1 carts and vghero.sc.nds for slot 2 (rename to .gba if necessary).  The .nds (or gba) files can be placed where ever you like.

1 Tour

VideoGamesHero’s primary game mode offer you 65 songs for your gaming pleasure.

1.1 Difficulty
Tour has 4 difficulty settings:
Easy - which has notes on three tracks
Medium - which has notes on four tracks
Hard - which has notes on all five tracks
Expert - which has even more notes than hard

Those who are new to rhythm games, or have problems at higher difficulties, try “easy” or “medium”.  Otherwise you may be comfortable jumping in on the “hard” setting.

1.2 Choosing a Song

You can navigate through the sets by taping on the < > icons with your stylus or using
left & right on the dpad.  If a set is locked, you won't be able to select any songs.

When the song is available, you will see the name of the song along with your high-score
and ranking.  Ranking is tracked for each skill level (and game mode) but only your overall high-score for that song is kept.  Tap on the song, or navigate to it using the
D-Pad and tap again, or press A or Start to select it.

1.3 Ready Menu

You have a few options available to you on the Ready menu:

Stage - There are 13 different stages (backgrounds) available in the game, but they
are only available once they are unlocked.  Choose stage 0 for a random selection.
1 stage is available at the beginning and 3 can be unlocked in each difficulty. If you
play at higher difficulties only, you will still unlock all the stages.

Note: All 12 stages can be unlocked in “expert” mode if you haven't played easy/medium/hard.

Calibrate - If you find the notes to be out of sync with the music, try adjusting the
calibration.

Normal/Flipped - use this to flip the note patterns.  Normal has the colours lined up with Green, Red, Yellow, Blue, Orange from left to right, while Flipped has them in reversed order Orange, Blue, Yellow, Red, Green.

1.4 Tour gameplay

Strike the right color as it's note passes over the hit box near the bottom of the top screen.

D-Pad / Buttons
You strike a note by using the d-pad/buttons as indicated on the bottom screen.

Stylus
You can also tap the appropriate color on the screen with your stylus.

Guitar Grip
If you have a Guitar Grip, you can use it but note that the colors on the grip are disregarded.  From left to right, use D-Pad Left, Blue, Yellow, Red, Green.  Choose "Flipped" on the ready menu to line up the colors if you like.
If you forgot to insert the grip when you started the game, just pause the game (by
pressing start) and pop it in - it will be automatically detected.

Scoring
Each note you hit is worth a set number of points depending on the difficulty setting.

Easy - 30 points, Medium - 40 points,  Hard & Expert = 50 points.

Streaks
When you hit all the notes in the correct sequence, you will see coins turning white on the
bottom of the top screen.  Once they have all turned white, your multiplier will be
increased to a maximum of 5x.

Streak Bonus
Once you have hit 25 notes in a row you will be awarded 1000 points and a streak bonus icon will be shown on the screen.  When it is visible, use the L and/or R shoulder  buttons to gain even more points.

When you see sparks fly from the Streak Bonus, you've earned an additional 50 points.

You can earn hundreds of points with a single streak bonus in this way - but be careful - if you miss a note, the streak bonus is gone and so is your multiplier.

Motion Support

Instead of using the L/R buttons for streak bonus, you can use your motion compatible
card and tilt your ds left and right to earn streak bonus points.  If you forgot to insert your motion card, just pause the game (press start) and insert it.  It will be automatically detected.

Pause/Quit

Press start to pause the game and press start again to resume, or press Select to quit.

1.5 Results Screen
After your game you will be presented with your score and your rating.
Rating < 25 = 3 thumbs down (Fail)
Rating < 50 = 2 thumbs down (Fail)
Rating < 70 = 1 thumb down  (Fail)
Rating < 85 = 1 star  (Success)
Rating < 95 = 2 stars (Success)
Rating >=95 = 3 stars (Success)

Leaderboard
You can submit your score to the online leaderboard to compete with the rest of the
world.  On submission you will be presented with the top 5 scores and your overall
ranking.  Vist www.videogameshero.com to see all the scores.

Now you can choose to replay, continue (back to the song menu) or quit (back to the
main menu)

2. Bonus Modes
There are 4 bonus modes available.

2.1 Red Vs Blue
- challenge your friend or just compete against yourself!
In addition to the normal Ready Menu options, you can also choose how many notes will be played per color, before switching to the other. (5 means that 5 red notes are followed by 5 blue notes)
In this mode you are limited to useing the d-pad and buttons.  Red plays red notes with the d-pad and Blue plays with the Y/X/A buttons.

The scoring is based on your accuracy and your best streak. Stats are kept to keep track of the Red - Blue score for each song and overall.

2.2 Audiophile
This mode is meant to be played with the lid closed and play to rhythm.  You can play in any of the following ways (or any combination thereof)
L and/or R shoulder buttons
Guitar Grip (any button)
Motion (move in any direction)

2.3 Grip Mania
This mode is meant for the Guitar Grip enthusiasts.  This mode provides the Expert level on only 4 tracks.  Regardless of the Normal/Flipped setting, the colors will always line up with the grip.  The streak bonus works just like in the Tour.

2.4 Jambalaya
If you've mastered all the tracks, try this one for a change as each not is generated randomly - providing you with a unique experience every game.  Play in the same way as Tour.

3. Options

SFX Volume - adjust the volume of the sound effects played in the menu and during gameplay. (0 - 100 at increments of 5)
Menu scroll - change or stop the background scrolling in the menu.  (You can also use Select in any menu to adjust this)
Clear RVB Stats - Reset the statistics for the Red Vs Blue game mode. (Hold X & Y after selecting the menu option)

One other extra.  If you are in a menu where music is playing, close the lid and change songs by pressing the L or R shoulder buttons.

We hope you enjoy this game!
gameover_yourock.jpg

lose1.jpg
screenshot_pattern.jpg
title.jpg

Sourcehttp://www.neoflash.com/forum/index.php/topic,5298.0.html

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Kaos said:
WOW.

I am very surprised at how good this game is.

High Scores only take a second to send online, as well.

I have a High Score online! YAY!
that only says that there aren;t many people to compete with!

Which is very supprising...

Kaos

Good show!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The game is being buggy and freezing whenever I try to submit highscores for any songs other than Donkey Kong and Final Fantasy.

Anybody else with this problem?

EDIT: I got it working, seems my download was corrupted in some way.

Praetor192

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
This game is pretty damn good, however I have noticed some bugs/flaws.

-(Flaw) Some of the song names are wrong, such as "Ocarinina", "Flinstones", etc.

-(Flaw) It doesn't sleep the DS when closed.

-(Glitch) The edges between the buttons can sometimes register the wrong note.

-(Personal Preference/Feature Request) Add option to replay from pause menu.

-(Glitch) When submitting a score and a network cannot be connected to, it will just freeze, forcing you to restart.

-(Glitch) Rather than having the notes "connect" to the "grid" as they are coming down, they just float over it, creating a small graphical inconsistency that just looks a little weird.

-(Flaw) When the "Streak Bonus" thing comes up, it obscures the view of the notes coming down. This could be rectified by making it translucent.

-(Flaw) Once you have selected a song (but haven't started yet) you cannot go back to the song selection screen.

-(Flaw) If you quit a song, it shows the screen as if you were done. It should just go to the screen where you can select continue, retry, etc.

-(Personal Preference/Feature Request) It has no hold-notes
frown.gif

-(Personal Preference/Feature Request) Editor.

-(Personal Preference/Feature Request) When you miss a note, it should be grayed out instead of red. (From GameDragon) I concur.

-(Personal Preference/Feature Request) Only video game tracks. It's fine, but would be nice to have real music as well. What happened to "Eye of the Tiger" and "Inspector Gadget"? (they may yet be in the game, I am still playing it). I know this can lead to legal issues. Maybe "someone" could compile some tracks in the correct format and put them on a fileshare site.
DISREGARD I found them. Set 7 they begin.

-(Personal Preference/Feature Request) Lyrics pl0x.

-(Flaw) some tracks are much louder/much quieter than others.

-(Personal Preference/Feature Request) When you miss a note, there should be a sound effect of some kind.

-(Personal Preference/Feature Request) The note/area where you hit the note graphics seem a little weak to me. They play just fine, but I think they would look better if they were slightly 3D rather then just sticks.

-(Glitch) some songs show time as 0m00s

Overall though, this is one of the most polished homebrew games I have ever seen, and it is very fun to play.

Also it occurred to me: with a graphical update and maybe a few changes, a DDR-style game could be made very easily. It would be the same core game, with the music and stuff, but since there are no hold-notes, an arrow-mode or seperate game all together could be made. That would be very cool.

GameDragon

Mugiwara RAWR!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Praetor192 pretty much listed most of the issues I had with it and more. I got my own little preferences, but they are very minor.

When you missed a note, it should be greyed out instead of red. It's kinda weird since it looks exactly the same as a red note.

The game also needs more Sound FXs. With the exception of the music, the game is almost silent. A SFX when you hit a note is a bit much, but one when you miss a note should be added. Some cheering during a Streak Bonus would be nice too.

Oh yeah, and some holding notes would rock too.

mixinluv2u

Trophies
Website
www.glowsticking.com
XP
Country
United States
so does that mean you can't use the guitar grip to play hard or expert mode? since the grip only has 4 buttons and hard/expert has 5 tracks?

also how do you play chords with the stylus control?

tinymonkeyt

GBAtemp brat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wow. this is quite developed

i love how the coding competition and the homebrew bounty makes all these cool homebrews come to our knowledge

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @DinohScene, Sup