1615 - Famicom Mini Series Vol 21: Super Mario Bros. 2 (J)

TmP_stryk

Still I Rise™
OP
Trophies
Website
www.still-i-rise.com
XP
Country
United States
top_left1.gif
top_left.gif
1615 - Famicom Mini Series Vol 21: Super Mario Bros. 2
top_right_new.gif
screens.gif
1615.PNG
1615-2.PNG
[/p]
trans_bar.gif
trans_bar.gif
trans_bar.gif
info.gif
Release Group:CaravanSave Type:EEPROM_V124ROM Size:32MbitFilename:cvn-fm21.zipRegion:JapanPublisher:NintendoLanguage(s):JapaneseROM Serial:AGB-FM2J-JPN
horiz_trans_bar.gif
trans_bar.gif
trans_bar.gif
trans_bar.gif

ziggy:{)

custom member title
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
so is this the real smb2? or the americanized one, which is not really a mario game....if so why would anyone buy it when they have super mario advance

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think that this would be the real 2 (lost levels in the US). This famicom set seems to have a lot of famicom disk system games. (So someone rip the emulator out of these carts!
wink.gif
)

Z_Hunter

APF
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, the American Super Mario Brothers 2 is actually Doki Doki Panic. Nintendo thought SMB2 was too hard for American gamers, so they basically legally hacked one of there own games to make the American one.

Darkforce

DERP!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yay, this is easily the best FDS release.

Bit of info:

Japan / US
Super Mario Bros. 2 / Super Mario Bros. Lost Levels
Dream World: Doki Doki Panic / (changed and released as Super Mario Bros. 2 for West)
Super Mario Bros. USA / Super Mario Bros. 2

Nintendo thought that Super Mario Bros. 2 (J) would be too tough for Western gamers and at the same time they were sitting on a newly developed platformer that in it's current state wasn't suited for the Western market (Doki Doki Panic was based on an anime in Japan called Dream World). As a result Nintendo changed some characters, sprites etc... and it released in the West as Super Mario Bros. 2 then later released Japan as Super Mario Bros. USA.

Contary to popular belief Doki Doki Panic was actually developed at Nintendo by the Super Mario team, and yes Shigsy did work on it.
I would have thought this was rather obvious with all those connotations of gardening Shigsy added in there and all the references to Super Mario Bros. USA in later Nintendo games (from the obvious ones like stages in SSMB and characters like Birdo cropping up in Mario games to stuff like Olimar pulling up Pikmin like how Mario did with veggies and the magic carpet in Mario 64), but people seemed too busy harassing Shigsy to notice...

Super Mario Bros. USA was a really underated game...

smile.gif

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
In the grand scheme of things for me, Super Mario Bros. 2 (the one we ended up getting) was pretty horrible; especially after we got the excellent Super Mario Bros. 3, followed by the even more excellent Super Mario All-Stars + World. I still love Super Mario Bros. 2 in it's own way, but I would have much rathered that 'Lost Levels' had come to us instead.

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
nothing i love it, its just not a real smb game. its doki doki panic, they pasted mario characters in it
click on that link for differenchs between games ^^
Wow, you learn something new every day.

So that finally explains why SMB2 was such a freakishly weird game. And the funny thing is that they've actually carried over many of the things from that game into the Mario franchise since. So all those current staples of Mario like shy guys and bob-ombs really shouldn't have anything to do with it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Gay history is serious +1