ROM Hack [WIP] Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns - True Love Edition Patch

destany1989

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Huh, I've never heard of that happening before. Maybe it's a problem with luma? Did he update his 3ds before doing the hack, and was the game/luma working before you installed the hack?

Try using NTR and see if the patch still doesn't work, if it works then the problem probably lies with luma. He might need to update it(if he hasn't already).

Yup I totally did mix those two up, sorry about that. As for the pointer to the pointer table: honestly, it's kind of useless and doesn't matter. I shouldn't have pointed it out in the first place, as you can't really do anything with it. All it does is point to the start of the Msg pointer table. In theory you could move it and have the Msg pointer table at the bottom of the papa file, to make repointing everything while editing easier, but I've tried it before and it only ended in the game crashing. I'd just ignore it, the actual Msg pointer table is more important.

You don't need to use any specific program, but I do recommend JKSV! It's very easy to use, and you can install it as a cia with FBI.

For the crashes, can you replace the patch's files in your sd cards with the cmn.zip file I've uploaded on this post? It might not solve the problem, but it'll at least rule out some causes. Let me know if you still have the crashes, and you can't activate love events with the new files.

I also included the edited german xbb file for you in case you wanted to look at is as an example.
I was thinking it might be luma needs updating. Yes his 3ds currently is on current firmware. I will make sure his luma is up to date and try again. I'm the 3ds technician in the house ;)

nechigawara

Citizen of Gamindustri
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
I was thinking it might be luma needs updating. Yes his 3ds currently is on current firmware. I will make sure his luma is up to date and try again. I'm the 3ds technician in the house ;)
Not relate to the topic. But that's great to see a lady with IT technician knowledge.
They are very rare in my country. :D

Last edited by nechigawara,

Sias

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Good news! Your changes to the cmn file seem to have been successful as I did not encounter the Westown crash so far, but managed to trigger a love event. I've also included my save, should you still need it for something.

Aside from that I looked into your version of the German xbb file and I do think I get what you did. I noticed though that there are quite a few instances in your dialogue where specific gendered terms are used. How does the game differentiate between the correct versions for male and female players in such a case? I considered adding in some further <gender male="xyxy" female="xxxx"> phrases myself for situations like these. Or are you simply not finished with said parts yet?

Attachments

• SoS ToT.zip
    13.1 KB · Views: 150

Silrae

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good news! Your changes to the cmn file seem to have been successful as I did not encounter the Westown crash so far, but managed to trigger a love event. I've also included my save, should you still need it for something.

Aside from that I looked into your version of the German xbb file and I do think I get what you did. I noticed though that there are quite a few instances in your dialogue where specific gendered terms are used. How does the game differentiate between the correct versions for male and female players in such a case? I considered adding in some further <gender male="xyxy" female="xxxx"> phrases myself for situations like these. Or are you simply not finished with said parts yet?
That's great, I'm glad it's working now! I'll play around with your save to see if I get a crash in Westown, but I think that was caused by me using the usa rom's data file, so hopefully it won't be an issue anymore.

The game calls every Msg file by its title in the game's scripts. These scripts are all open-source, easy to access, and edit. They're in the scripts folder that's in the cmn folder. Basically, I edited every love event that used gendered terms to include the dialogue I edited by checking the player's gender. Here's an example of what I mean:

iWhrTnU.png

The way the game's scripts call dialogue is by using the file name of the PAPA, and the title of the Msg. Whenever I had to call edited dialogue, I wrote an if/else statement to check the player's gender, and then called the edited dialogue from the edited PAPA. The gender check function was already in the game's scripts, so I didn't need to write that myself.

Also I you might notice that I mostly kept edited dialogue's Msg title the same, to make it easier to call in the scripts.

Sias

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That's great, I'm glad it's working now! I'll play around with your save to see if I get a crash in Westown, but I think that was caused by me using the usa rom's data file, so hopefully it won't be an issue anymore.

The game calls every Msg file by its title in the game's scripts. These scripts are all open-source, easy to access, and edit. They're in the scripts folder that's in the cmn folder. Basically, I edited every love event that used gendered terms to include the dialogue I edited by checking the player's gender. Here's an example of what I mean:

The game's scripts call dialogue is by using the file name of the PAPA, and the title of the Msg. Whenever I had to call edited dialogue, I wrote an if/else statement to check the player's gender, and then called the edited dialogue from the edited PAPA. The gender check function was already in the game's scripts, so I didn't need to write that myself.

Also I you might notice that I mostly kept edited dialogue's Msg title the same, to make it easier to call in the scripts.
So basically you added a bunch of messages into the Wild_Animal_Thanks PAPA, which shouldn't be too hard to do because it's nicely at the bottom of the normal Msg.xbb file, and call on those every time you need the alternate gendered dialogue during a Love Event. Sounds pretty nice as it saves you the issue of repointing half the xbb file whenever you edit a gendered term.

I looked at your patch files next and apparently you didn't do these edits of the game's scripts for the European patch yet, so I would still have to do them myself, right? Also, did you use script editing for other dialogue (marriage comments, child/parent dialogue, whatever) as well?

Silrae

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So basically you added a bunch of messages into the Wild_Animal_Thanks PAPA, which shouldn't be too hard to do because it's nicely at the bottom of the normal Msg.xbb file, and call on those every time you need the alternate gendered dialogue during a Love Event. Sounds pretty nice as it saves you the issue of repointing half the xbb file whenever you edit a gendered term.

I looked at your patch files next and apparently you didn't do these edits of the game's scripts for the European patch yet, so I would still have to do them myself, right? Also, did you use script editing for other dialogue (marriage comments, child/parent dialogue, whatever) as well?

I actually used the last PAPA file and the one before that, because the PAPA file can't be too long or the game will start to crash. Since I edited those two, I had to repoint the last PAPA file and change the length in the xbb's pointer table. The second to last PAPA file is where all the overworld dialogue is! I think I ended up editing over 500 dialogue for that, it was definitely the most time consuming, and yes I've edited the scripts for those too.

The eur rom's scripts are actually exactly the same to the usa rom, so all I have to do is add them to the files when I release the next patch. I added them to this post for you, but the only thing that may be a problem is that the scripts might need revising for your edits. I actually wouldn't mind editing them for you if you'd rather not do it.

Attachments

• cmn.rar
    332.6 KB · Views: 140

peachiecookies

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll be updating my game + purchasing the DLC as soon as its available to me/midnight tonight CST, and starting a new file. I have the latest version of the patch installed, so I'll let anyone know if there are any immediate conflicts with a new file, if that helps anyone!! :) (Also, a complete and total side note, but this patch alone is what caused me to go on the journey of learning about CFW and installing it on my 3DS.... the power of Lesbianism.... thank you for all of your work! It means the world to me, a simple gay.)

nechigawara

Citizen of Gamindustri
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
I'll be updating my game + purchasing the DLC as soon as its available to me/midnight tonight CST, and starting a new file. I have the latest version of the patch installed, so I'll let anyone know if there are any immediate conflicts with a new file, if that helps anyone!! :) (Also, a complete and total side note, but this patch alone is what caused me to go on the journey of learning about CFW and installing it on my 3DS.... the power of Lesbianism.... thank you for all of your work! It means the world to me, a simple gay.)
Similar to myself who come back to this series after BTN because of this patch.

peachiecookies

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The 1.1 patch just became available 6 minutes ago, at 9AM PST, 11AM CST. The 1.1 patch is incompatable with the True Love Edition, and causes an Arm11 (?) crash upon launching the game. :(

destany1989

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would assume so, if you updated to 1.1 like I did. That sounds like what was happening to me before I disabled Luma's game patching. I can boot the game just fine with the TLE patch disabled.
I forgot I could do that lol guess I'll play it regularly until patch gets updated

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I forgot I could do that lol guess I'll play it regularly until patch gets updated
Yep disabled game patching and working fine

Reactions: peachiecookies

Silrae

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good news! The game crashing isn't actually a bad thing for once! The game is still prioritizing its original files, so all I have to do is replace the new files from the update with the old files in the patch, and the game won't crash anymore. I've only tried this with the free update though, so I have no idea if this fix will work with the dlc included. I also haven't checked if the dialogue still loads correctly, all I have checked is that same-gender romanceable characters are still romanceable, and they are!

I'll update more on the situation as I work through things, but I can't do anything with the dlc right now. I'm a broke college student, so... yeah. Hopefully next week I'll have a bit of extra money to buy the dlc, but for now that'll just have to wait.

Silrae

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, so everything is going well so far except for a few hiccups. I've been using Stephanie as my go-to for testing, and she does have a flower beside her name, but I haven't been able to activate her introduction so I'm not sure if her events are working. I did de-activate the patch to see if I could get her introduction, but no dice.

At least that might mean the patch isn't the problem. I have no idea why her intro isn't activating though, and I can't test out her flower events until I see that. Ugh, I forgot how frustrating this game can be without guides.

peachiecookies

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At least that might mean the patch isn't the problem. I have no idea why her intro isn't activating though, and I can't test out her flower events until I see that. Ugh, I forgot how frustrating this game can be without guides.

If it helps, FOGU does have all of the info on the new candidates love events and how to trigger them, I believe.

Silrae

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it helps, FOGU does have all of the info on the new candidates love events and how to trigger them, I believe.
That's what I used to look up the requirements for unlocking her, but she still won't show up in westown. Something might be wrong with my save, I'm not sure. I'm going to try starting a new one, and I'll update on how that goes.

Reactions: peachiecookies

RarePupper

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night