Splatoon Girl Hand Gesture Removed from Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Deemed "Offensive"

On the recent update of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe v1.1 Nintendo has removed the hand gesture of Splatoon Girl because some people might feel offended by it.

inkling-mario-kart-656x369.jpg

This is insane. Even Mario Kart isn't safe from what this or that might be considered "offensive." :(

Splatoon Girl was only doing the hand gesture "YES!" and this is deemed unacceptable.

For those that may defend the censorship, there are people who may indeed find it disrespectful but that's them and in real life, this is a fictitious, harmless video game that should be left alone from being censored.

:arrow:Source: Nintendo Everything

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Meh, I think that gesture is very well known.
Any community with some contact with Italy must know it.
That goes for Argentina and the USA for sure.
But I know it is also well known in Spain and France, it would probably get you a red card in any place in Europe if you do it during a football match, where I've seen it done and penalized, e.g. in Spain:

Reactions: Deleted User

Mansize

GBATemp Hardware
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
For the "fact" that it's a gesture known everywhere alot of people on the first two pages of this thread seem to not know it and wonder e.g. why it's removed without that a finger sticks out.
Personaly I didn't knowed it either... And this here is a very international community ;)

Yeah, though you can't really make any gestures here, so that stuff never gets transmitted. One sign I know never to use lightly in other countries is the "Okay" sign by making a circle with your index finger and thumb. It means "nothing" in France, "money" in Japan, but extremely offensive stuff in Malta, Russia, Brazil because it signifies a bodily orifice there I believe.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yeah, though you can't really make any gestures here, so that stuff never gets transmitted. One sign I know never to use lightly in other countries is the "Okay" sign by making a circle with your index finger and thumb. It means "nothing" in France, "money" in Japan, but extremely offensive stuff in Malta, Russia, Brazil because it signifies a bodily orifice there I believe.
Doesn't that mean asshole here in Germany?
No idea, I avoid making weird gestures anyway...

VitaType

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I think it also has to do with expections. If this game really dosn't features any anime related drawing tips I would be disappointed about it. If it's advertiesed as drawing learning program and features a anime girl on the box I expect to learn abit about how to do this nice japanese cartoon style. Maybe I'm just a strange person :D

Doesn't that mean asshole here in Germany?
No idea, I avoid making weird gestures anyway...
I think it's a fairly new gesture here in germany which didn't existed at all before we got alot of US TV program here (could be wrong about that).
But I would read that here as okay as well. Maybe it's even a regional thing inside of germany?

the fact that this place is populated mostly by ignorant children does explain that though.
Yeah, totaly ignorant to not know every random fact from other cultures :huh:
It's not that this people can't find Italy on the map or that they refurse to learn something like that before going on vacation in Italy or that it's used in one of the great artworks in western culture which everyone knows or that it was used somewhere else important like e.g. the hand signals in Colosseums.
I don't understand why this is considered ignorant by you :unsure:

Last edited by VitaType,

TheDarkGreninja

Listening to a song ad nauseam
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've never heard about this gesture. Americans...
Actually, its french.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Heres how i see censorship:

Does it affect my enjoyment of the game if its removed? No? Then i dont care.
This was the same point I made earlier with @Saiyan Lusitano I recommend you see his reply, its a great laugh.

lol

Nintendo: What should we do about this?
Employee: Maybe, remove the other hand resting on the lower part of the arm? So it looks normal?
Nintendo: *hard stare*
*employee get's thrown out of window*
As if that'd make any sense.

D

Deleted User

OP
Deemed offensive you say? What's next, will people be offended by breathing?
My previous roommate breathes like Roadhog and it scared the shit out of me.
One time we were in the car and he was sitting behind me and I swear he was breathing at my neck on purpose, especially considering he's since been kicked out for other intimidating and harassing behavior.

Reactions: Dr.Hacknik

Dionicio3

goat
Trophies
Website
dionicio3.com
XP
Country
United States
Actually, its french.

This was the same point I made earlier with @Saiyan Lusitano I recommend you see his reply, its a great laugh.

As if that'd make any sense.
Actually, they were kind of pressured into removing it

V0ltr0n

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tbh, not that i think it should've been removed, but that gesture is almost as universal as the middle finger. In fact, it used to be accompanied by a middle finger, but is so well known that the finger is no longer required. That gesture is used to emphasize the message. It's not often used anymore at least here in the midwest US, but it is definitely easily recognizable. I think it's hilarious they included it in mario kart and it would make me be inclined to use that character exclusively. Just too bad I have yet to get a switch.

Reactions: Deleted User

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-