Splatoon Girl Hand Gesture Removed from Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Deemed "Offensive"

On the recent update of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe v1.1 Nintendo has removed the hand gesture of Splatoon Girl because some people might feel offended by it.

inkling-mario-kart-656x369.jpg

This is insane. Even Mario Kart isn't safe from what this or that might be considered "offensive." :(

Splatoon Girl was only doing the hand gesture "YES!" and this is deemed unacceptable.

For those that may defend the censorship, there are people who may indeed find it disrespectful but that's them and in real life, this is a fictitious, harmless video game that should be left alone from being censored.

:arrow:Source: Nintendo Everything

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It is mean in argentina? I thought they use the middle ginger just like in chile, peru, etc... Well at least here i have never seen or hear that puting your hand on your arm while you show a fist is offensive...
In Argentina middle finger is more common, but the arm gesture has the same meaning, or actually even worse, it is normally made when somebody is very mad about something and wants his arm kind of scream "fuck you!". I've seen it sometimes in football matches, you know, footballers are kind of... temperamental.

PS: And normally it is a strong movement, you slap your arm with your hand, making kind of a slap noise augmenting the "angry" message.

Last edited by sarkwalvein,
Reactions: Deleted User

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In Argentina middle finger is more common, but the arm gesture has the same meaning, or actually even worse, it is normally made when somebody is very mad about something and wants his arm kind of scream "fuck you!". I've seen it sometimes in football matches, you know, footballers are kind of... temperamental.

PS: And normally it is a strong movement, you slap your arm with your hand, making kind of a slap noise augmenting the "angry" message.
Interesting... tfw you learn new things everyday.

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
idk these stuff are too common when you get teen/adult that having to hide a "simple gesture" from kids sound strange ... I agree we don't have to teach them to do that... but seeing here and there as a common thing I don't see a problem... is how we learn these stuff after all...

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
but some stuff happens ...
View attachment 87208
Well... I know this is weird to say, but I've seen so many idiots from the west saying things like "ew... that animation game looks too weeb, look at that screen" or whatever, and not buying the game because of that, even when the game is the same thing (this was more pronounced in the 90s)...
I would understand the marketing and localization divisions changing it up in order for the idiots to buy it... I still think it is stupid, but well, they want the moneys.

doubles92

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man, this is ridiculous, it's just a game. Stupid people with their feels... if you dont like something, just move on and don't bother with it. It's annoying to see people acting like a baby.

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Well... I know this is weird to say, but I've seen so many idiots from the west saying things like "ew... that animation game looks too weeb, look at that screen" or whatever, and not buying the game because of that, even when the game is the same thing (this was more pronounced in the 90s)...
I would understand the marketing and localization divisions changing it up in order for the idiots to buy it... I still think it is stupid, but well, they want the moneys.
yeah but the most stupid of all is why someone buying something from NINTENDO and in old days a label written made in japan would really care to have some japanese content? looks they care too much about stuff still today (like.. YOuKAI watch ...)? some "needs " for localization are really that dumb? õ_o
I know in 80'~90' there where a big anti japanese propaganda in US but anyway, they are the wrong here lol

VitaType

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
In places in Europe like Italy that gesture can literally mean Fuck You. It makes sense that Nintendo would therefore remove the gesture in such a family-focused franchise.

I agree that it should be removed in countries where it's considered a rude gesture, but I don't see why it should be removed everywhere around the world.
Since the language options and timezone choice allow a pretty acurate way to determinate the location of the console (even more in online play with the help of the IP) and Nintendo should be able to slowly build-up a database with which gesture is rude where (I guess this update came due to complains in one country where this very gesture is considered rude. And for such a large company that underlines the importans of family-friendlyness it shouldn't be to much work).
It also would fit with there new politics to just show the country instead of the specific state in online matches (they only write US instead of NY and Germany instead of Bavaria in the Deluxe version which wasn't the case in the WiiU version)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze